Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MINECARTS AGGGHHHHRRRR  (Read 2762 times)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: MINECARTS AGGGHHHHRRRR
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »

Secondly, I really dislike people who post a link to a response for something. Do you not think i have looked on the wiki? Sometimes a wiki doesnt always answer your question because the context is not understood. I did find my answer on the wiki but NOT at the link you posted and I had not discovered it before on there (despite half a dozen reads) because my understanding of minecarts had to come further for me to understand what the wiki was talking about.

Please think when posting a link. At least if you are going to post a link, say something alongside it rather than just posting it. I consider this trolling because you are not actually getting involved in the conversation, just throwing links at people is not a discussion.

None of us on here are getting paid to answer your questions. When somebody volunteers their time to try and help you out, it is manifestly ungrateful to insult them because they provided information you already knew in a form other than that which you prefer.

No, you're not being paid. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least take the time to learn the question being asked before trying to answer it? It was explicitly stated that he checked the wiki, did not understand it, and needed a little more help *past* what the wiki had to say. So, how is posting the wiki supposed to help him? I mean... what? ???

Ah.. forums.

Anyway, I'm sorry mlmartin. I would suggest next time straight up, first line say "Inb4 wiki links, I checked the wiki."  :P  Otherwise you're gonna get this no matter what. Hell, you still might.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58:51 pm »

I'm sorry.  I personally find both wiki links and "here read this" textbook recommendations helpful.  Different people are different.   

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 05:37:56 am »

Firstly, I have figured it out.. yes, it does involve quantum stockpiling, something I am not to keen on as I think it is a bit of an exploit but will figure out

Then set up a big-ass stockpile next to the dump stockpile, and set it to take from the dump stockpile (and from links only).  That will make your dwarves undo the lovely quantum stockpile that the minecart created for you, and spread everything out.

Yup just what I thought i should do... loving minecarts, so many possibilities

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 05:40:09 am »

I'm sorry.  I personally find both wiki links and "here read this" textbook recommendations helpful.  Different people are different.

I agree and perhaps I jumped down your neck too quickly

I have just had many people in prior forums do the same, not just for my questions but for those of other people.

It just smacks of RTFM and less of "here is some help"
Don't get me wrong, i post links for people too but ill usually dress it up with the context and purpose of me posting a link rather than "link = nuff said"

Again, sorry I snapped

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 12:43:02 pm »

Hey, no problem. Apology accepted and compliments for being big about this. I'm sorry for jumping the gun, as well.

I have a habit of defending newbie players (I am a valkyrie of gaming, after all. hah) as they are often treated immediately like "n00bs" before learning who they are, level of intelligence, how they learn, and what they know. Goes along with the fact that I have trouble with text instructions myself, which is part of the reason I want to help new players with one-on-one tutorial assistance over screen sharing. I'm not quite ready yet, though. Badly in need of new headphones... and courage.  :-[

Group hug!!  :-*

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:44:48 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:09 pm »

Yep no hard feelings.  Strike the earth!   8)
Pages: 1 [2]