Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to mitigate town chatter lag?  (Read 1041 times)

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to mitigate town chatter lag?
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »

I don't see many people complaining about this, so maybe it is just me. But when I enter large towns, my framerate take a huge dive compared to v.34.

I believe this is due to the fact that townspeople constantly have the blue '!' over their heads, indicating that they are talking to one another. Is there any way to lessen the performance hit from this new feature.

If not, is there a way to mod this behavior off?

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
Re: How to mitigate town chatter lag?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:03:39 pm »

As far as modding it out goes, you can always go all-out and remove their ability to speak, but I really wouldn't recommend that.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:32 pm »

Yeah I would like to be able to speak with them. I just don't want them to speak to each other.

Or figure out some way to improve FPS in those big towns. I never had this problem with 0.34. It must be the chatter.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:24:10 am »

The worst part is that some towns somehow have THOUSANDS of inhabitants, completely disregarding the site pop caps (especially goblin sites, which have massive amounts of talking trolls). I avoid most towns completely in adv. mode since my FPS drops to 1-2 and takes a few minutes to load or unload. Ugh.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:05:23 am »

There are a few bug reports about sites getting insane populations leading into unplayable gameplay if you get near. I made one for dark fortresses that in every of my generated world can end in sometime thousand of populations :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7526

Maybe if more people would upload their save showing near unplayable framerate in existing reports or new ones in case it's sites that weren't already reported, maybe it could help Toady to find a way around that.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:55 pm »

Is it necessary for them to constantly be chattering every turn? Though high populations can certainly be part of it, I feel the shear volume of chatter from each npc is a problem. It is like everyone wants to say something, every turn.

I am happy to upload saves, but this seems ubiquitous in all the worlds I generate under v.4