Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which would you rather see? A civilization of minotaurs, or a so called "holy" civilization, which I'll explain below.

Minotaurs.
"Holy".
Neither.
Both.

Author Topic: Minotaur civilization vs "holy" civilization?  (Read 1371 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Minotaur civilization vs "holy" civilization?
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:10:06 pm »

So I've started putting ideas together for the my next mod, working name as Stagnant Creatures Set, which would bring in some new creatures, a trio of new semi-megabeasts, a new megabeast, at least one new civilization, and a really nice new cavern creature, that dwarves can make. So here are your options:
A) A civilization of minotaurs, called the Minaurians, who are split up between a 50% smaller, most common minotaur, the normal one, and Eldest Minotaurs, slow growing, very strong and large minotaurs. Only the eldest would retain the minotaur's innate combat ability and fearlessness. Plains would be their homes, and they would have an enhanced, nearly as good as steel bronze alloy as their best metal.

B) A utterly "good, really "holy" civilization, called the Enlightened, who would be comprised of dwarves, elves, humans, goblins, and a beast man I'll choose at a later time. They'd find most things punishable or unacceptable, except torture for information, slavery, and anything else that advances their cause. They'd live in anything but the elven civilization homes: hamlets, hillocks, fortresses, cities, towns, anything. Mostly taking up plains and maybe even glaciers, the glaciers just to show off how strong of people they are. They would have access to a slim amount of weapons: war hammers, halberds, pikes, two hand and long swords, morning stars, bows, and battle axes. They'd have access to a great metal I'm working on now, so if you don't piss them off in world gen, and don't have access to the necessary resources, you can get some from them. Piss them off, prepare to have a pike to the face.

So which sounds better to you?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaur civilization vs "holy" civilization?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:49 pm »

First vote for team minotaur! I always wanted a minotaur mod where I could build my trap filled labyrinth atop my hoard of gold. One big reason is because I always feel bad for the monsters, kobolds just want to make a living, dragons just want to live alone in their caves, and minotaurs just want theses pilfering adventurers to leave them alone(I cannot justify goblins though, they are just dicks.) I think having tough people(though a little smaller than normal df minotaurs, they are friggin' huge) with a small population that specializes in traps would fit well. although everyone is freakin' ripped, you don't have many to spare to fight, so you have to decide between risking losing a valuable worker or building traps.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:48 pm »

Good point... I could make it so they have a somewhat lesser chance of reproducing.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »

Both ideas sound neat but please realize that your "small selection" consists of the best possible weapons from each category and is larger than the dwarven arsenal. (Off the top of my head: maces, warhammers, shortswords, spears, battle axes, crossbows, and picks if you count those, so 6 or 7 vs 8 or 9) They'd better exist as an unplayable race that serves to challenge the lategame fortress.

EDIT: And I suggest Tigermen for the beast race, simply due to the fact that they used to be tameable.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:05:50 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:54 pm »

Yeah, they'd definitely not be playable. And I've been playing my modded Draconian civilizations and also humans, so I was thinking versus humans and Draconians, which can make anything. I haven't played dwarves for a while, forgot about that. Tigermen were my first thought. Maybe I'll get rid of two hand swords and morning stars. The crossbow is better than the bow though, as the bow is basically a shooter, than comes down to a wooden sword with no edge, whereas the crossbow is a shooter, that ends up being a hammer in close range. They wouldn't have trances, they're "above" those. So a group of tranced burning steel clad dwarves could dodge and hack up quite a few of them. And remember, you won't be near them very often. Just plains and glaciers. Think of them as a mixture of WOW's Alliance, and the Knights Templar.

And not to mention adamantine. That'd cut them down pretty easily.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:19:07 pm by StagnantSoul »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:25:11 pm »

check out Minotaurs and Priests of Istar in DragonLance

:)