Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism  (Read 19999 times)

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:17:30 am »

The last thread got closed down because it was a bit too closely linked to the some other issues, so let's try it Electric Boogaloo style.

THREAD GUIDELINES
1. FIRST AND FOREMOST. Do NOT mention Burger and Fries or anything related to it. This is purely about corruption and nepotism in games journalism.
2. No insults, to each other or to the people in question.
3. NO DOXXING OR NUDES. JUST DON'T.
4. Back up anything you say WITH EVIDENCE. Please do not post "hey I heard X about Y" without sourcing it with information.

Now, onto the discussion.

Recently, it has been revealed that quite a few members of the gaming press have been, quite literally, in bed with game developers they have written about. Others have had long term friendships and emotional relationships with other members of the gaming industry. Others STILL have been giving donations monthly via Patreon to the developers they have written about. 4chan, the vast majority of Reddit and some of TUMBLR have decided to not allow this to stand. And that's where the shadowbans and mass deletions started.

Since then, there has been a media blackout on the issue. Complete silence. Major site runners have stated that anyone who talks about it will be banned from their forums. The only places that have talked have been Kotaku (where Stephen Totilo made two separate blog posts, 1, 2, about the issue, although I should note that he did not address the fact Christine Love and Patricia Hernandez were in a relationship at one point) and Polygon (where the editor-in-chief posted that he was revising policy based on the criticism).

Anyone who speaks out on the silence gets harassed and has character assassinations directed after them. Gamers are referred to as "worse than ISIS" because they want to know why the hell journalists and devs are so closely intertwined and not disclosing it. Asking for evidence gets you derided for being scum.

I will NOT attack your character. I will NOT refer to you as being worse than ISIS for any reason. I will give you ANY evidence that you ask for.

This isn't about sexism. This isn't about hatred. This is wanting the medium we love to be free to be talked about without having to worry someone is in bed with someone else.

Talk to me.
I Love Bacon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:32:44 am »

If you didn't know that gaming journalism was corrupt then you're incredibly slow to pick up on these things.
I don't know what else to say on the matter. There's pretty much always been the knowledge that critics often get paid off by big publishers to encourage good reviews, nothing new.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:18 am »

If you didn't know that gaming journalism was corrupt then you're incredibly slow to pick up on these things.
I don't know what else to say on the matter. There's pretty much always been the knowledge that critics often get paid off by big publishers to encourage good reviews, nothing new.

From what we've seen, the relationship between AAA developers and games journalists seems LESS corrupt than that between indie and journalists. That's how ridiculous this situation is.
I Love Bacon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:28:11 am »

From what we've seen, the relationship between AAA developers and games journalists seems LESS corrupt than that between indie and journalists. That's how ridiculous this situation is.
Doing a thing for a friend is not more corrupt than doing a thing because you were paid to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:47:06 am »

Doing a thing for a friend is not more corrupt than doing a thing because you were paid to.

Doing a thing for someone you have had sex with without disclosing the fact you have had sex with this person is.
I Love Bacon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:08 am »

4. Back up anything you say WITH EVIDENCE. Please do not post "hey I heard X about Y" without sourcing it with information.
._.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:19 am »

The thing I was referencing is in the OP:

in bed with game developers they have written about
I Love Bacon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:45:10 am »

._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 05:51:08 am »

Doing a thing for someone you have had sex with without disclosing the fact you have had sex with this person is.
A moral impasse only 4 posts in.
This has to be a new record.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:56:26 am »

Bloodly hell, this just came back up once more,

I hope toady closed this because of the toxic bullshit this is and how it make us treat each other (I do know I did say some stuff in the last thread and I do say sorry to the people that I act like a ass hole to)

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:19 am »

A moral impasse only 4 posts in.
This has to be a new record.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how you can defend journalists writing about people they have had emotional or sexual relationships with and then not disclosing it. There are way too many issues with allowing it.

What if a journalist has sex with someone, that person is in a relationship and then threatens the person with revealing everything about the relationship unless they give them information to write an article?

What if the journalist is relationship, has sex with someone and then that someone threatens them with revealing their sexual relationship unless they write a good piece of writing?

What if a journalist was in a relationship with someone and then uses the information they gained from that relationship to write an article about that person?

It is a moral quandary that, no matter how you look at it, has the potential for MASSIVE amounts of abuse. There are NO positives to preventing full disclosure.

Bloodly hell, this just came back up once more,

I hope toady closed this because of the toxic bullshit this is and how it make us treat each other (I do know I did say some stuff in the last thread and I do say sorry to the people that I act like a ass hole to)

Can you please explain to me how this is "toxic bullshit"?

The bit of arse in one of the pics? That's not my fault, that's a Kotaku article's headlining image. I mean in reference to the people involved in this business.
I Love Bacon

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:27:08 am »

We haven't even reached page 2 and the OP's posts already have an aggressive tone.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 06:34:14 am »

We haven't even reached page 2 and the OP's posts already have an aggressive tone.

Please inform me of how my posts have an "aggressive tone".
I Love Bacon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 06:43:56 am »

I'm sorry, but I don't know how you can defend journalists writing about people they have had emotional or sexual relationships with and then not disclosing it. There are way too many issues with allowing it.

What if a journalist has sex with someone, that person is in a relationship and then threatens the person with revealing everything about the relationship unless they give them information to write an article?

What if the journalist is relationship, has sex with someone and then that someone threatens them with revealing their sexual relationship unless they write a good piece of writing?

What if a journalist was in a relationship with someone and then uses the information they gained from that relationship to write an article about that person?

It is a moral quandary that, no matter how you look at it, has the potential for MASSIVE amounts of abuse. There are NO positives to preventing full disclosure.

._.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 06:44:36 am »

Please write some information to explain what you're trying to say here.
I Love Bacon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9