Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism  (Read 19622 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:20 am »

Tumblr being enraged is not a sign. Tumblr exists in a state of constant seething rage at everything.
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:41 am »

Right, here is my take on the whole "Corruption in Journalism" thing:

AAA publishers spend thousands on bribes, and the internet seems pretty content, for the most part, to let it go.

Some indie dev comes along with some free text game nobody otherwise knows anything about, has sex with a journalist and suddenly cries of corruption can be heard from rooftops.

Some time in the future when this "scandle" dries up, the internet will go back to it's previous state of relative contentedness.

*closes book* The End.
The problem here is that she framed two seperate imageboards to whore more attention, which sort of pissed them off, that's why this blew up.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:54 am »

<snip>

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

DON'T MENTION THIS. PLEASE REMOVE.

KEEP IT AWAY FROM BURGER AND FRIES, WE'RE BEYOND THAT.
I Love Bacon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:44 am »

Then instead of being apathetic, try to affect change. Instead of typing about how no one will care, go out there and type about why this stuff angers you (or doesn't, if it doesn't, just talk ABOUT it instead of around it).
The issue is that this is all a non-issue. It's not as if giving favourable reviews to people you like is an instance of corruption. It would be a different matter if sexual favours were being used as part of an exchange for good reviews, but as far as I can tell from those examples posted the relationships have been completely unrelated to any attempt at getting good reviews.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:00 am »

The issue is that this is all a non-issue. It's not as if giving favourable reviews to people you like is an instance of corruption. It would be a different matter if sexual favours were being used as part of an exchange for good reviews, but as far as I can tell from those examples posted the relationships have been completely unrelated to any attempt at getting good reviews.

What is "nepotism"?
I Love Bacon

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:03 am »

FAKE EDIT:Fuck it, I am going to turn my head off this for a while until all the angry and spite from both side stop so i can find out what the fuck it all about and why it is worth it to put time into making a discussion about it with no way to see the reason with all this hate

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:59 am »

What is "nepotism"?
noun
[mass noun]
The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs:
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 07:53:35 am »

What is "nepotism"?
noun
[mass noun]
The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs:

Why is nepotism wrong?
I Love Bacon

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:30 am »

Maay I remind peoples in this thread that we have good evidence that americain police actually execute innocent citizen in complete impunity? I'm pretty sure that the integrity of gaming journalist is pretty inconsequencial ESPECIALLY since they are reviewing games you won't play no matter any stars they got.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:45 am »

I think that wrong is a very charged word, but it's undesirable because it means that people end up in positions of power who are not necessarily the best suited for it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 08:01:57 am »

Maay I remind peoples in this thread that we have good evidence that americain police actually execute innocent citizen in complete impunity? I'm pretty sure that the integrity of gaming journalist is pretty inconsequencial ESPECIALLY since they are reviewing games you won't play no matter any stars they got.

*sigh*

No one I've noticed is actually defending the behavior. Everything I've seen so far is simple incredulity at the fact that people believe an incredibly minor scandal that isn't even a meaningful drop in the corruption bucket is something other than it is.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 08:04:47 am »

May I remind you that in 10 billion years, our Sun will supernova and consume the Earth resulting in all life on this planet dying? I'm pretty sure all news is inconsequential if you try to compare it to a bigger tragedy, and I find it reprehensible that you would try to use an atrocity like what is being committed to shut down another discussion.

I think that wrong is a very charged word, but it's undesirable because it means that people end up in positions of power who are not necessarily the best suited for it.

Yes, nepotism defeats any chance of meritocracy, which is something our society is founded on. When the cards are stacked against you, the other thing to do is change the game.
I Love Bacon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 08:08:35 am »

Yes, nepotism defeats any chance of meritocracy, which is something our society is founded on. When the cards are stacked against you, the other thing to do is change the game.
And yet, it's a very different thing to corruption. Corruption being defined as:
Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery
It's perfectly possible to favour those you are close to without any intent of deceiving anyone or engineering it for anyone's gain. It just kind of happens.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:44 am »

And yet, it's a very different thing to corruption. Corruption being defined as:
Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery
It's perfectly possible to favour those you are close to without any intent of deceiving anyone or engineering it for anyone's gain. It just kind of happens.

There is nothing wrong with writing a review or an article about someone you are friends (or further) with, as long as you disclose that at the start of your article. Nothing at all.

However, not disclosing that makes your actions fraudulent. It is deception by omission. The first thing on your mind as a journalist should be, "Hey, I'm good friends with this person. I should mention that so everyone is on an even page."

If a game developer posted something about his game on Other Games here and didn't state they were the game developer, that is a breach of ethics and would get them called out by everyone (also steps close to being illegal, since it is very near grassroots marketing).
I Love Bacon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 09:28:17 am »

Vidyas is dead and myn has killed it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9