Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism  (Read 20030 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Media Blackouts & Corruption in Games Journalism
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 09:31:27 am »

Maay I remind peoples in this thread that we have good evidence that americain police actually execute innocent citizen in complete impunity? I'm pretty sure that the integrity of gaming journalist is pretty inconsequencial ESPECIALLY since they are reviewing games you won't play no matter any stars they got.
Fallacy of relative privation, also known as Appeal to worse problems. And that you would choose police brutality when there are starving children in Africa is abhorrent to me. More seriously, big issues do not make smaller issues of lesser importance less worth speaking about. We're not taking valuable arguing air from the Middle East, certainly.

That will be all. Just watching otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:33:53 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 09:37:29 am »

Oh, this will be good.

PTW4the inevitable

Gaming 'journalism' has as much integrity as a sociopathic mule who abandoned his uncle in the Sahara for a bucket of handjobs
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:54 am »

Gaming 'journalism' has as much integrity as a sociopathic mule who abandoned his uncle in the Sahara for a bucket of handjobs

Which is kind of the big issue.
I Love Bacon

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 11:54:28 am »

This is nothing compared to other journalists/media branches.

I am a marketing manager by day job and i can (and done so many times) have my PR team write an article which i then send to a blog/newspaper/magazine to publish as their own. sometimes i don't even have to pay for that article, they ask me to do it because they need "content" and want to secure future potential ad purchases.

We (My company) also funded a "reality" t.v show series where the cast, the presenters, the script, the locations, the broadcasting hours were all decided by us and were in the sole intent to promote our products. it was done in such a way that a naive viewer could never tell, but we pushed our products very heavily in that show.

I can have radio hosts talk about my products, i can have my products discussed, in a strictly positive way in t.v talk shows. i can, as a marketing manager, pretty much use any of the known media outlets to inject my own written content as an objective content written/researched/collected by journalists. i am not talking about obscure blogs and newspapers, i am talking about the biggest ones.

Why? because i have a relatively big advertising budget.

So, instead of worrying about Indie-Media relationships corruption, i'd worry about AAA-Media relationship corruption, because that's where the real money is.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »

Maay I remind peoples in this thread that we have good evidence that americain police actually execute innocent citizen in complete impunity? I'm pretty sure that the integrity of gaming journalist is pretty inconsequencial ESPECIALLY since they are reviewing games you won't play no matter any stars they got.
Fallacy of relative privation, also known as Appeal to worse problems. And that you would choose police brutality when there are starving children in Africa is abhorrent to me. More seriously, big issues do not make smaller issues of lesser importance less worth speaking about. We're not taking valuable arguing air from the Middle East, certainly.

That will be all. Just watching otherwise.

No. The fallacy is to distract from an important issue by pointing another important issue. I'm calling this issue trite, petty, uninteresting and downright ridiculous. And there are actually important issues to discuss.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 12:08:39 pm »

You can't refute that by restating the fallacy. There is no threshold of importance you have to meet for that fallacy to apply.

This discussion is not detracting from discussion of more important issues. Look in the politics threads. They're still going.

You are making a problem where there is not one and bringing negativity into the thread when you do not need to be.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »

Quote from: The wick on the Fallacy of Relative Privation
The fallacy of relative privation, or appeal to worse problems, is an informal fallacy which attempts to suggest that the opponent's argument should be ignored because there are more important problems in the world, despite the fact that these issues are often completely unrelated to the subject under discussion.
TL;DR: shut up and sit down unless you can actually contribute to the discussion, guy whose name I can't pronounce because no vowels.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:16 pm »

People can multitask, phmcw. Especially with the magic of forums and such, many things can be discussed at once, without really reducing the amount of consideration any particular topic gets.

And corruption and poor/unethical practices in journalism is kinda' important. Even specialized stuff like gaming journalism, and especially in regards to major and pervasive issues (like the whole institutionalized bribery stuff, and other wonderful journalistic standards).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »

I'm going to chime in here because I have no common sense.
A) I'm going to state now I'm on the boat of not caring. People write words, they can write whatever words they want honestly. You earn reputation from writing true words, and lose it writing false words. This may tie in to the fact that I only have surface knowledge of the scandal, but was the act meant as a bribe? Maybe the journalist liked the game and just happened to perform said act with the game dev? They probably run in some of the same circles and hey, people do stuff like that all the time.

B) Is there even any evidence this happened? I honestly don't know because I have read in to it much.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »

So, instead of worrying about Indie-Media relationships corruption, i'd worry about AAA-Media relationship corruption, because that's where the real money is.

Naw, we should worry ourselves over inconsequential free game indie developers. They're the real source of game journalism being a fat fail.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:43 pm »

How may I put it in perspective.

Everyone knows the normal news is hopelessly corrupt and is constantly manipulated according to the owners, shareholders, politics as well as under the table deals along with being so focused on being a business that you often lose out on a lot of genuine news (there are entire sites out there BASED around things the News doesn't report). There is more then enough evidence, hard evidence, to prove this... it just isn't a crime.

No one, is happy with it... Everyone is complacent with it because they feel like changing it is hopeless.

Payola which is to be paid to play someone's song was made illegal IF you don't tell anyone.

---

Gaming Journalism was WELL known to be corrupt for years...

No one likes this but everyone is complacent because there is nothing you can do.

B) Is there even any evidence this happened? I honestly don't know because I have read in to it much

Ohh gawd, searching down 10+ year old articles on the Gamespot controversies? well... I can look...

Ohh wait is this about indie developers? Well I have heard nothing about this.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2014, 01:09:45 pm »

Ya, sorry, I was looking more at the recent controversy.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

B) Is there even any evidence this happened? I honestly don't know because I have read in to it much.

Check the first post. There's at least one case of this occuring.

Ohh gawd, searching down 10+ year old articles on the Gamespot controversies? well... I can look...

Please check the first post. :p
I Love Bacon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »

Honestly this doesn't seem like a HUGE deal...

The Backlash is... odd... since "Hey, maybe you shouldn't pretend you have journalistic neutrality if your making articles about a friend's stuff" is a rather fair criticism.

Questioning Anita's claim of harassment though was met with appropriate responses... Even if she was faking, you kind of don't go "Prove you been shot". Besides Anita doesn't need to fake it... Even if you believe she deserves some of her harassment or even invited it (Which honestly, I can see.. though I think she was more accurately "trying to make a point" as to why the feminist frequency videogame coverage was needed, rather then trying to make everyone cavalier to save her from harassment with money), the levels of harassment she receives is a bit extreme. If that Email was fake then she made a fake email for fun.

Well the censorship is concerning... but given the degree it is being done it cannot be simple "perhaps better journalistic integrity is required"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:22:40 pm by Neonivek »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 01:21:23 pm »

Check the first post. There's at least one case of this occuring.

Please check the first post. :p

Sorry, but imgur links aren't something I can browse through atm, so not sure what proof is being offered? Will check it out later I guess. Still don't see why we expect a full relationship breakdown by anyone writing about games?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9