Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It happened again... Dwarves killing dwarves  (Read 1436 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It happened again... Dwarves killing dwarves
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:42:34 pm »

I let my dwarves have a little fun with some goblins, and again, my military turned on each other, resulting in the death of one of my dwarves. I got a screenshot this time... Any clue what happened?

Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It happened again... Dwarves killing dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:04 pm »

Also, stripping caged prisoners... how is that done? I remember doing it ages ago, but not sure how I did it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:58:04 am »

If I recall correctly (been a while) you must unforbid the occupant's belongings and then mark them for dumping.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:45 am »

If I recall correctly (been a while) you must unforbid the occupant's belongings and then mark them for dumping.

How do I go about that?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:06:32 am »

Find them in your stocks screen if your bookkeeper is a bad enough dude to keep track of them, or, alternatively, try fiddling with contents of the cage.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:14:22 am »

Easiest way to mark it all for dumping is to mass designate the cages claimed, then for dumping, then manually remove the dump designation from the cages themselves.

• Pause the game (Just makes things easier)
  • Claim everything in the cages (d-b-c)
  • Designate everything in the cages, including the cages, for dumping (d-b-d)
  • Remove the dump designation from the cages themselves using the (k) look view

If you don't want to remove everything from whatever you have caged you can then go into your stocks menu and unmark those specific items, like armor if you want them to survive longer on a archery range.

Treefingers

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:44:01 pm »

I haven't had a developed enough military for your specific issue. But I've had similar problems while mass pitting with the new mechanics. Prisoners escape a lot more often now, and even though I've got a couple armed dwarves and a bunch of dogs in the cage room, something always goes horribly wrong.

It doesn't seem so at first, mind you. The prisoner usually dies pretty quickly and maybe a dog or the pitter gets a minor injury. But then I start getting all kinds of "interrupted by <profession>" messages. Someone in the cage room was apparently traumatized, but it doesn't register in their mood or as terror, not even as a negative thought. Nonetheless they're freaking out any other dwarf that sees them, and occasionally getting into fights with the war dogs.

About a month later, everyone in my fort is dehydrated and terrified, even though nothing new happened beyond the dead prisoner. Another month later everything's fine. I mean everything is back to normal. Once the blood, vomit, and teeth are cleaned up, there's no physical or mental trace of what went down over the last few months. Nobody enjoyed a fistfight, no one "was attacked recently", and the overall moods never changed.

I've seen it in my last 3 forts. Always after my first failed pitting.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:44:12 am »

I tried pitting goblin prisoners twice and that's what I observed:
First, the goblins invariably escaped immediately after being taken from their cages.
Second, the dwarf who did the job was somehow regarded as the enemy of the fort afterward and attacked by the military (and he also scared civilians).
It looks like the pitter is considered to be in league with the released goblin or something like that.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:52:45 am »

Hiya,

There is currently a bug where a dwarf pitting an enemy (goblin, wild animal, etc.) is treated as an enemy by your military.  When your soldiers kill said dwarf, it causes the loyalty cascade you observed.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Treefingers

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:38:37 pm »

Hiya,

There is currently a bug where a dwarf pitting an enemy (goblin, wild animal, etc.) is treated as an enemy by your military.  When your soldiers kill said dwarf, it causes the loyalty cascade you observed.

-Dame de la Licorne
Thanks for posting. It happened again, so I was thinking about reporting it.