Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: God Eater: Monster hunting, now with more animu  (Read 5359 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: God Eater: Monster hunting, now with more animu
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 08:04:44 am »

No, it's awesome either way. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 10:46:14 am »

I watched some gameplay, and my biggest complaint from what I saw is not how animu it is, but how positively weightless the combat feels. To compare it to Monster Hunter again, MH makes you really feel like you're slamming a huge weapon into a massive beastie when you land a hit, thanks to use of hitstop, screenshake, and other similar bits of polish.

In this game, the characters are swinging humongous swords around like they're toothpicks, and every attack is sliding through the enemies like they're made of butter rather than flesh.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by those awesome impact-simulating effects in other games, but damn, watching combat gameplay from God Eater is like watching a kid slap at a pinata.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 12:38:55 pm »

Bean playing it some. The combat is a lot faster paced than monster hunter. You can expect hunts to end in 3 minutes if you do a good job, compared to the five minutes I tend to mentally set as my par time in Monster hunter. To kinda compensate, monsters seem pretty damaging for their weight class so far. You get to bring people back up if they run out of hp, but I'm assuming if there is a party wipe it's just straight up game over despite having 50 endurance.

Couple differences worth mentioning. Dashing doesn't seem to have invulnerability frames like you have in monster hunter, so positioning is key. Monster tells are generally shorter too, so you do need good reactions as opposed to good timing you'd need in monster hunter. I feel way too used to dodging, so I keep mashing the dodge button, but it does seem as though guarding is the way to go if you wanna survive something. Assuming you guard on time anyway. Mistimed a block and the attack went from fatal to mostly fatal. If you get the timing right seems you just negate all damage.

Speaking of shields, looks like shields are what determines defense, while clothing is entirely cosmetic.

Something else I appreciate so far is it seems the inventory management is automatic in God eater. Monster and gathered materials go right to storage, bullets don't need to be stocked up on, that sorta thing. Makes jumping into missions take less time than jumping into hunts in monster hunter, as everyone checks their mewonster hunters, tries to figure out what food to eat, deposits their items, and so on.

So yeah, it's in the same vein as monster hunter, but it comes at the whole thing from a different angle, aiming for more action than management. Downtime in single player gets filled with story segments instead of gathering quests, so you end up with lectures on why things are as they are instead of collect 5 unique mushrooms.

In the end though, it does scratch a different itch than what monster hunter does, and that's kinda hard to deny.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 03:47:44 pm »

Aww yes. God Eaters.

I'll be getting this for my Vita.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 04:15:47 pm »

Kinda look like it's not female to begin with, tbh. Might just be the brightness on my screen, I'unno.
I actually find it funny the actual excuse they created as to why ONLY god eaters can fight them :P
But if god eaters need to connect to weapons made from beasts, then how was the first beastie killed? o_O
Scavenging, probably. Harvested the corpse of one that something else killed. Alternately, a lot of people died shaving off some chunks of one and then playing Death Keepaway long enough to get away with the prize. Or time travel, I guess. The first was killed by eaters from the future.

According to lore the first God Arcs were tiny pistol ones created from the cores of mouse sized Aragami and they just gradually worked they way up from there.

Specifically the monsters in this setting adapt too quickly to be affected by conventional weaponry and thus either become highly resistant, immune, and/or regenerate almost instantly.

The weapons "adapt" instantly to what they are attacking and cause lasting damage.

Neo I've talked to you about this before :P

Ah yeah, they left out all the explanations for it then. Their ability to adapt is only a minor factor in it.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:20:12 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 07:29:56 pm »

Any tips for bullet recipes? I'm having a very hard time figuring out how to make bombs work, and just understanding the system in general.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 01:56:47 am »

I have a bunch of bullet recipes I used. I nabbed these off the God Eater wiki but will post em here. Mind you, I haven't played GE2RB yet; still clearing Resurrection.

Resurrection Recipes:

Spoiler: Lightspeed HDH (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Quick Meteor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trident (click to show/hide)

Keyboard Controls: Holding Left Alt + Directional Key will allow you to select modules to edit or to copy. Use this to mass-change the element of modules to create other elemental variants quickly.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 02:23:46 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 03:59:39 am »

Nude monster hunters when.

Soon, probably. Some of these characters are not wearing much to begin with, if you haven't noticed.
Soon, definitely. Some modder is likely already on it.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 04:02:31 am »

Geralt is the only monster hunter I need !  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 04:04:03 am »

Really? But he is so devoid of character and gets naked with girls at the drop of a hat... and is a total player of the field... and is a Mary Sue.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 12:27:58 pm »

Thanks Trapez! That explanation of mechanics is exactly what I needed!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where's the beard? Can't have a handsome man without the beard. Just look at Next Generation!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 [2]