Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 80312 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember Tomorrow - an indie 4x space strategy game
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:21 am »

Suggestion: Add a 'Goto' option on event reports.

e.g.

"Fleet reached its destination: nu Andromeda"
Close / Close and continue / Goto

Goto would switch to the galaxy map centered on nu Andromeda.

You could do similar things for other event reports.
()==[:::::::::::::>

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36:23 am »

Clicking on the report itself does this.

So, anyway - colonizing new worlds. I have only just realised that a handful of worlds are stuck at population 1000, 150 or so years after I settled them. It took me a few moments to work out why, but the reason turned out to be a silly mistake of my own making. Basically, for these worlds, I added a basic defence ship to the build queue before anything else. For some worlds, the local mineral production is enough to cope, but for others it is not. So, without the first building being a space port, the construction of anything can end up stuck at an unfinished state for any colony not blessed with abundant minerals, stopping anything else growing or developing on the world. Silly me, huh? Could it be possible for the space port to be in the build queue for a new world by default (seeing as how 100% essential it is for the development of a world), with some kind of warning pop up if a new player chooses to remove it to build something else?

Oh, and I am not 100% sure on this but will check today - I tend to prioritize physics research, and weight my research to the applied areas. However, when I load a game and check the research screen, it always seems to be back at an even balance across all areas, regardless if I lock the sliders or not.
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2014, 03:34:37 am »

So, anyway - colonizing new worlds. I have only just realised that a handful of worlds are stuck at population 1000, 150 or so years after I settled them. It took me a few moments to work out why, but the reason turned out to be a silly mistake of my own making. Basically, for these worlds, I added a basic defence ship to the build queue before anything else. For some worlds, the local mineral production is enough to cope, but for others it is not. So, without the first building being a space port, the construction of anything can end up stuck at an unfinished state for any colony not blessed with abundant minerals, stopping anything else growing or developing on the world. Silly me, huh? Could it be possible for the space port to be in the build queue for a new world by default (seeing as how 100% essential it is for the development of a world), with some kind of warning pop up if a new player chooses to remove it to build something else?
You spotted the point I've been thinking of for a while already.

The more I think of it the more I consider removing "spaceport" at all, or, at least, moving it into initiatives.
Currently the only meaningful reason spaceport is still there is it can be tweaked to transfer goods with some %% of losses.

But maybe it is just an unnecessary complication that should be removed.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2014, 03:37:01 am »

Suggestion: Add a 'Goto' option on event reports.

e.g.

"Fleet reached its destination: nu Andromeda"
Close / Close and continue / Goto
You may be right, it may be not obvious that clicking on the report does this.

BTW, the most convenient way is just to press 'Enter' - it also does 'Goto'

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2014, 03:40:39 am »

You spotted the point I've been thinking of for a while already.

The more I think of it the more I consider removing "spaceport" at all, or, at least, moving it into initiatives.
Currently the only meaningful reason spaceport is still there is it can be tweaked to transfer goods with some %% of losses.

But maybe it is just an unnecessary complication that should be removed.

Well, maybe you should leave the building in there, assuming it could be damaged/destroyed by orbital bombardment or ground combat, but have it auto-built when a colony is dropped. That way, each race could have different modifiers applied to their space-ports, or it could be upgraded via tech over time.

Question: are there race specific techs? I bumped into the Logans, who had "Logan armour" or somesuch. Specific to them unless I trade/steal it?
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:30 am »

Well, maybe you should leave the building in there, assuming it could be damaged/destroyed by orbital bombardment or ground combat, but have it auto-built when a colony is dropped. That way, each race could have different modifiers applied to their space-ports, or it could be upgraded via tech over time.
Auto-building it right with colonisation is also an option. Or it is possible to integrate it's functionality into the colonisation module.

Question: are there race specific techs? I bumped into the Logans, who had "Logan armour" or somesuch. Specific to them unless I trade/steal it?
No, it is "lagon" armour :)
A very advanced bio armour - light and strong, especially good for small ships.

There can be race specific techs, but right now there is no any such tech in the list. Also in the science department the "Research" resource (pink one) is currently not used - I plan to tie some specific technology enhancements to it.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2014, 05:54:24 am »

OK, I've just added auto-building of a spaceport when colonising a new planet.
Can be switched off in config.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2014, 10:54:07 am »

I've spent waaay too much time playing this since yesterday. I find it plays much like Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain. Battle feel like a mix of Pax Imperia and Gratuitous Space Battles.

Right at the start of the game, some pirates demanded 10% of my mineral production: I politely told them to sod off and they attacked. I beat them, but lost most of my starting fighters. Another group of pirates under a different name came saying they were sorry for the previous guys, and I responded that it was fine if they promised it wouldn't happen again. They took offence to that, blew up my remaining ships, and took their 10% anyway.

300 years later, I built some upgunned ships and attacked. Immediately, their corvettes fled, although one got blown up rather spectacularly when it tried passing between two of mine.

I've noticed my colony ships occasionally freeze while trying to path to their destination. I think it's due to the fact that they're taking an issue if the range of their trip exceeds their ability to return to the nearest colony to refuel. For a colony ship, refueling shouldn't be an issue because the trip is generally one way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2014, 11:00:44 am »

Downloaded twice, and installed twice to make sure.

I tend to crash frequently on any number of actions taken with the console spitting out "Known incorrect sRGB profile."
I did not receive any crash report. Does crash reporting window ever appear?

What do you do for it to crash? Does simple "New Game" -> "Spiral Sa" -> Start leads to crash? Have you tried running it as administrator?
Does file called "Fatal." apper in the game directory?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but any stability issue is really important for me and must be spotted. Thanks for helping!

Fatal does not appear, it's not a crash just a freeze. It doesn't happen on start. Just tried running it as administrator, commissioned 5 fighters and a scout, clicked again on my system, lead to spitting out of the same error in console.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2014, 11:17:06 am »

I have not yet got around to ground combat. Anyone else done so and would care to offer some info? Does your tech level play a role (as I have not come across any ground combat techs), is there any kind of tactical/strategic elements or is it just weight of numbers vs defensive structures?
This is a blank sig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2014, 11:20:36 am »

Just numbers versus numbers as far as I can tell. I've only done one ground attack, 3000 marines against a defense strength of 5000. I lost. I came back with 7000 marines and won. No idea what determines defense strength.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2014, 11:31:41 am »

I suspect it is calculated from the defense buildings you can place on planets. It would be nice to see some techs that enhance your ground combat abilities - say soldier weapons or armour that reflect your tech level, or things such as tanks, mechs or power armour to enhance your marines.
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 11:48:36 am »

Fatal does not appear, it's not a crash just a freeze. It doesn't happen on start. Just tried running it as administrator, commissioned 5 fighters and a scout, clicked again on my system, lead to spitting out of the same error in console.
The patch Alpha15B (available on http://www.softwarware.com/eng.html ) should fix that "console errors".

So, am I right you have a stable problem - you enter any planet and the game freezes and does not react on anything?

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2014, 11:51:46 am »

I've noticed my colony ships occasionally freeze while trying to path to their destination. I think it's due to the fact that they're taking an issue if the range of their trip exceeds their ability to return to the nearest colony to refuel. For a colony ship, refueling shouldn't be an issue because the trip is generally one way.
Can't that be they just wait for population to grow up a bit to take colonists aboard?
If you have any save game with colony ship freezed, could you please send it to me to investigate what happened?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2014, 11:56:11 am »

I checked them when they stopped, and they definitely pick up colonists first. I have seen that they resume course if I place a colony between their intended destination and the next closest colony, which is what makes me think it's an issue with range.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31