Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 80260 times)

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember Tomorrow - an indie 4x space strategy game
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 01:00:38 pm »

Tried the game today. The tutorial needs some more explanation on economy and diplomacy, and it needs to take less time, otherwise it's quite informative. However, whenever I start an actual game, with standard settings on a galaxy type that doesn't crash, on the easiest difficulty, I get confronted by extortionists. This happens before I can do anything else, bar maybe build a fighter or two. I can fight the first wave off and die to the second one, or pay an annoying tribute. Am I just supposed to pay it, or is there a way to not get attacked before I get my space legs? On a related note, how do I repair damaged ships? The tutorial had nothing on that.
It is supposed to be so. The best is to deal with the first wave and then take apologises of the second wave accepting 3% payment. If you'd like to completely avoid this, you can edit Remember.cfg file, last line. Set LogLeft value to 0
The idea is to give you an enemy to fight right in the beginning. The enemy is not too strong and is passive - so you can just develop your economy a bit, build a stronger fleet and invade them, getting a nearly fully built planet as a reward. A good exercise before facing any real foe.

To repair you ship, just have it orbiting your planet, but planet's build queue must be either empty or freezed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:52:41 pm by Ufnv »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 02:39:18 pm »

That's really strange. BTW, don't you run the game from some read-only location? What happens after you click that arrow is a galaxy file generation - it is placed in "Scenario\gen\". It will crash if it cannot write Scenario\gen\export.scn file.
Could you please check if there is such file there and it is NOT read-only. Delete it if it is read-only.

No files in "Scenario\gen\"

I set folder 'Remember Tomorrow' and all sub-folders and contents to NOT be read only.

Still crashes.

I set 'remember.exe' to 'run as administrator'

Runs without crashing. Huh.

Just to check I wasn't imagining things, I 'unset' the run as administrator thing, and, yes, the 88 star galaxy scenario displays without crashing. *Shrug* Anyway, it's working now.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »

Just to check I wasn't imagining things, I 'unset' the run as administrator thing, and, yes, the 88 star galaxy scenario displays without crashing. *Shrug* Anyway, it's working now.
That 88 star scenario (I guess, it is Split2) does not involve random map generation, it is a pre-generated scenario. So it does not crash during start. But it would crash on saving the game anyway if permission is not set.

I think it makes sense for me to check this and warn to set permissions...

Thanks for spotting a problem :)

I'll update with Alpha16 most likely tomorrow - it will include several fixes, working racial features and enabled win conditions other than complete extermination.
Also late game science is significantly re-balanced.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »

If you build a colonizer manually instead of choosing 'Plan Colonization' is there any way to get colonists on board the ship?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »

If you build a colonizer manually instead of choosing 'Plan Colonization' is there any way to get colonists on board the ship?
Sure. When you select the fleet a number of on-screen buttons appear to the left of the fleet info panel (below the Journal button). One of them is 'Board colonists' button.

Here it is on a screenshot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »

Played through the tutorial just fine, and started a new game. Enjoying it so far - though as someone who has played a lot of 4X I am probably already quite clued up with what is going on. One question though - I did a little close range exploring with my starting corvette, and managed to strand it one system away from home through a lack of fuel. Clearly this ship is not designed as a scout, and should have known better than to be so eager to get out into the stars. How would I go about recovering it?
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:22 pm »

Clearly this ship is not designed as a scout, and should have known better than to be so eager to get out into the stars. How would I go about recovering it?
Two options:
1. Design and build a refuelling ship based on a freighter hull. Send this ship to refuel your corvette.
2. Colonize a planet in the system your corvette is stuck in.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 05:06:32 pm »

As luck would have it, I stumbled upon option 2 by blind chance. Currently employing the age old tactic of mass colonisation of most of a galactic arm having closed it off at 2 choke-points. Soon I shall explore the military options at my disposal once my small empire has built up the means of production to support a war machine. All is very good so far.
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2014, 01:32:40 am »

If you feel there is not enough challenge for you, try Hard setting. The real game is there :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 05:01:10 am »

I will do just that, once I get more of a handle on the mechanics. Finding balancing production a little hard at the moment - earlyish game, I am not short of mining worlds, and with a few terran agricultural worlds I can support plenty of colonies, but then I am left with little raw industrial power. I assume as my tech advances my production capacity will be enhanced.

What I like best about this game so far is how it merges the core best bits of the MoO series with other little bits that other 4X's do well (like GalCiv, Space Empires, Stars! e.t.c.), and then run in real time - turns always feel so clunky to me. There is just the right amount of automation - I can set things in motion, and they will generally take care of themselves as I want, but it is easy enough to tweak as required - the autocolonisation is a good example of this. Hopefully espionage will work well when implemented. I would also like to see some degree of race customisation, but appreciate how hand that can be to implement and then balance - this was pretty much the only thing the out of the box version of MoO3 did well. Had you considered increasing the number of planets per system (2 to 3 seems the norm for me so far and that feels a little few, though the diversity in types and classes is nice), or some system of moons or minor bodies? A colony on a moon of a gas giant would be kinda sweet. So far I have only played as humans (I do tend to do so a lot in my 4X gaming...) - do all races have similar habitability requirements? Again, the MoO series did this quite well, with some races needing gas giants, some needing small airless rockballs, and so on...

Oh, and an odd "bug" - On the galaxy map, if I have a star system selected, when unpaused, time runs much more slowly than if I have a ship selected, when time will literally race by. Time runs much more smoothly in all other screens. Odd?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:07:15 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 05:32:51 am »

I will do just that, once I get more of a handle on the mechanics. Finding balancing production a little hard at the moment - earlyish game, I am not short of mining worlds, and with a few terran agricultural worlds I can support plenty of colonies, but then I am left with little raw industrial power. I assume as my tech advances my production capacity will be enhanced.
The best industrial planet is one of the earthlike type. It allows for 20 planetary factories and 6 orbital factories that results in an extremely quick construction.

However, I always make one exhausted type planet close to borders an industrial colony - this is very helpful in a conflict - no need for long supply route.

I would also like to see some degree of race customisation, but appreciate how hand that can be to implement and then balance - this was pretty much the only thing the out of the box version of MoO3 did well.
The version I am going to upload today contains some initial race customisation. The engine allows a lot, but to find a balance I need to perform a lot of testing and that takes time. So I prefer to introduce racial features gradually.

However even now the difference in ship hulls matters. Like Humans have one of the worst corvette class ship, but the best dreadnought and possibly the best fighter.

Had you considered increasing the number of planets per system (2 to 3 seems the norm for me so far and that feels a little few, though the diversity in types and classes is nice), or some system of moons or minor bodies?
Up to 6 planets per system is now supported. Moons, etc can be easily added as well. BTW, the game can be modded quite easily.

So far I have only played as humans (I do tend to do so a lot in my 4X gaming...) - do all races have similar habitability requirements? Again, the MoO series did this quite well, with some races needing gas giants, some needing small airless rockballs, and so on...
For now, yes. I am going to add differences in this field during the second stage of tweaking racial features. There is full support for this present in the game engine.
I prefer to play either for humans or for Sharatars (cats) - I like the design of their ships, however their corvette is on par with humans' one - a very weak.

Oh, and an odd "bug" - On the galaxy map, if I have a star system selected, when unpaused, time runs much more slowly than if I have a ship selected, when time will literally race by. Time runs much more smoothly in all other screens. Odd?
Thanks, I'll check this out.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 07:47:13 am »

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response. I will continue to play and post in here as and when I feel I need to ask something or point something out. That little tidbit of info about hull tpyes is valuable - is this referenced in game somewhere (or going to be?)?
This is a blank sig.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 09:33:19 am »

That little tidbit of info about hull tpyes is valuable - is this referenced in game somewhere (or going to be?)?
Do you mean for different races? There was such review from one guy a while ago, but not in English, unfortunately.
If I remember correctly, best corvettes are Arians and Gavakens, best small ships - Humans, best frigates - Logans, best cruisers - Humans and Gavakens.

If you are interested, I can provide save files for all races with all techs (and all ship hulls) available, to compare them.

Ship types themselves are referenced in the science screen mostly.

There are 12 hulls in five classes:
Small ships
Fighter
Interceptor
Heavy fighter
Assault shuttle

Medium ship
Corvette
Frigate
Cruiser

Capital ships
Battlecruiser
Dreadnought

Stationary
Battle satellite
Battle platform

Transports
Transport

Each class has its own set of equipment with different properties.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 11:41:41 am »

Downloaded twice, and installed twice to make sure.

I tend to crash frequently on any number of actions taken with the console spitting out "Known incorrect sRGB profile."
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

pinback

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

1.  Wow, this is fantastic.  And it came out of nowhere!  It's already more polished than most of the glut of "space 4x" that's been coming down the pipeline the last two years.  Great job!!

2.  I also get the console "Known incorrect sRGB profile." but no crashes so far.

3.  Already the amount you can customize the display is impressive.  It would be nice, though, if there was a way to tell at a glance which stars have been scouted and which are still unknown.  (Unless there's already a way to do that and I just couldn't tell.)

Again, wonderful job.  Will definitely be following this.

(Also, "PTW".  Heheh, I had never heard that before.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31