Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you place the refuse stockpiles  (Read 5208 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you place the refuse stockpiles
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:15 am »

Hi all!

How do you place the refuse stockpiles? I want to save the bones so I don't want to place it outside, but I also don't want to have a miasma in my fortress. Can I avoid miasma and save the bones at the same time? How can I do it?

Thanks in advance.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you place the refuse stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:20:04 am »

Disallow bones in the stockpile and they will stay in the butcher's shop until needed.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:02 am »

^^ above works.  You can also use diagonal tiles to set up refuse stockpiles.  Any miasma will be unable to cross the diagonal.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:10 am »

You can also use custom stockpiles and enable only bones (though bones, hooves, shells, hair, and horn is a bit more comprehensive of a spread).  Disable those on your primary refuse pile and they'll be saved to the custom one only.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

You could just make a room with a door.

JesDer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:11:00 am »

This is how I normally make them ..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I use diagonals to prevent Miasma on a main refuse room .. I then dig out a side room with a quantum stockpile setup so it pulls from the main refuse pile. This will then feed craft workshops for making crafts or encrusting stuff with shell.

I will often setup a dump in the corner of the refuse room as well in case it gets full.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:39:35 am by JesDer »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:13:28 am »

You could just make a room with a door.
Double door, to prevent unfortunate stones and debris wedging it open for all the miasma to leak out.

Actually, I have a pick from one of my current forts.  Have it.  The top is an oversized corpse stockpile.  Usually, only during sieges does it file to any significant capacity.  However in this fort I have something of an undead problem, so Im smashing all non-civ members.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The bottom, larger room is the refuse room.  All the bones from non-sentients go there.  I make various goodies from the at the craftdwarf's shop in the same room.

The third room is the 'compacter', a.k.a. the atom smasher.  Thats where I dispose of unwanted things.

----

Oh, hey ninja picture poster :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:02 am »

Change the custom settings and enable the first three categories only (not bones, shells, etc.)  In this version the stuff in the pile 'horrifies' dwarves and works their discipline, so I stick it outside, inside the palisade near the main gate so every time they wander out to get wood they have a chance to freak out.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

Later on I find using a feeder refuse pile that is set to a short minecart run that shotguns the refuse into magma is a good way to deal with it.  It doesn't require all that much room to pull off, and it can be automated without too much hassle.

You can pull off a magma dump with just dorf labor, but using a minecart system adds +5 dorfiness points.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:26:32 pm by Tacomagic »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:28:01 pm »

For some reason I don't have miasma in my underground (minecart-quantum) stockpile. Meat and skin is taken away instantly (together with bones, hooves and skulls) but nervous tissue and cartilage stays - and nervous tissue doesn't produce miasma, decomposing quickly. It is described as "rotten" before disappearing, but doesn't produce miasma. Vermin remains also don't produce miasma. But I use diagonal exit's just to be safe, in case this feature is removed.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:56:07 pm »

Use dedicated rooms for refuse and use doors to keep the miasma inside.

An improvement to this simple design is an entrance tunnel to the refuse section with a door on each end. So in case something blocks the refuse room door, only this short tunnel gets flooded with miasma. The chance that both doors are blocked at the same time might still be non-zero, but it's low enough to declare the design safe.

A further improvement is to have several refuse rooms next to each other, lined up on a corridor no one except the refuse dwarfs has a reason to enter. With doors only to the corridor, but not between each other, so that a dwarf who brings refuse to any room doesn't enter any other refuse room on his way. This design greatly lowers the chance that a refuse hauler walks through active miasma. As this gives you several refuse stockpiles anyway, the step to a custom refuse stockpile that collects all the bones and only bones and thus never produces miasma is a small one. Lowers the risk that a craftsman fetching raw materials gets in contact with miasma to near zero.

Sorry for the bad English, I hope it's understandable anyway.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:08:05 pm »

I like to have a bunch of small, material-specific, refuse piles so that I can monitor my hides, bones, teeth, etc. Makes it easy to tell what's missing if a moody dwarf can't find his coveted materials.

Then I have a huge, ever-growing, indoor corpse/body parts pile near my butcher. Sometimes there's butcherable shit in there. Also, I like to see the fucktons of goblin, titan, and FB corpses and the like, just lying there, for some sick reason. It's getting pretty big though.

If I just channel a single tile column from the surface to the mass grave, will the skeletons and other unusable parts eventually decompose?