Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Serious game breaking issue at the moment - The loss of a friend and mood.  (Read 2350 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Serious game breaking issue at the moment - The loss of a friend and mood.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 10:35:20 am »

Letting children be susceptible to imprisonment (though not execution,) if nothing else would help immensely as well. Kids have been the leading cause of disaster in my lost forts in the new version because they've killed people and continued to kill/assault people because they were upset and though convicted, would never be punished - no pending punishment or sentences even for murders. Since the kids went unpunished (read: Unimprisoned,) they continued to compound the problem despite having a confirmed 10+ witnesses that all say "this kid punched that bone carver to death and broke that fish cleaner's legs." Sometimes more if the same kid's killed or assaulted multiple dwarves. I will take the time to say that due to most of these deaths being 'high profile' it is truly a powerful factor. Someone being killed in front of half the fort is going to upset half the fort no matter what, with friendships simply adding to the damage (though if it's only a contained number of losses, having lots of friends can net them with a talking to friends thought stacked up to help soften the blow if they don't start right into mauling each other.)

Soldiers I will say have behaved beautifully though. They seem to take great exception to people swinging at them during a tantrum and will not hesitate to end angry dwarves in retaliation of a punch or kick with no loyalty cascade last time it happened to me. Though I also noticed they seemed to kill all the other witnesses too before going about thier business... They may also just let the dwarf punch and kick all they want and just dodge all the attacks.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serious game breaking issue at the moment - The loss of a friend and mood.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:37 am »

Summarizing a bit, I'd say:

1) Maybe make current level of friend more like "close friend" and require constant socializing to maintain close friendship. It causes significant unhappiness to lose, but offers bigger than now boosts from interaction. Decays to regular friendship quickly with lower socialization. Quickly enough that only 4 or 5 are possible.
2) Most friends get bumped down to much lower tier acquaintances, that give a minor good thought and minor unhappiness if dead.
3) Throw in personality effects for great flavor.
4) Existing good friends are valid shoulders to cry on, not just the fort leaders.
5) Simultaneously make tantrum damage control more realistic. By allowing child imprisonment as above suggested, and maybe letting normal civilians subdue unarmed tantrumers until authorities arrive by default, or jump into the fight and a violent tantrumer will calm down after getting beaten up  a bit (others then calm down too, were only defending the fort, not actually angry/crazed), etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 [2]