Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some info on BABYSNATCHING  (Read 877 times)

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some info on BABYSNATCHING
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »

if we mod goblins as playable or add baby snatcher tags to dwarves can we have multiracial forts now?

thanks!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Need some info on BABYSNATCHING
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:05:06 pm »

No.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:17:51 pm »

In Df2012 (perhaps still now, I dunno) you could get babysnatched  multiracial Civ level nobles, queen for example, but if they migrate they act mostly like pets and don't do any work or own any rooms.  Like the old 'tigerman mayor' phenomenon.  Not a good gameplay experience really. 

(ed.:  fortunately you can disable this by restricting the ALLOWED_CREATURE of your positions)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:15:31 am by smakemupagus »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:57 pm »

No. I've tested this.

Interesting notes on [BABYSNATCHER]:
-Bandit populations seem to go up for a civilization tagged with this, independently of any other tokens.
-You'll be at peace with the goblins but will never have trade with them, presumably due to their lack of progress triggers, if you both have the token.
-Kobolds are still impossible to negotiate with if you're both babysnatchers due to [UTTERANCES] and possibly [SKULKING].
-Caravans leaving the map with animals will result in a message indicating someone has kidnapped each of those animals.
-The token does seem to increase the frequency of other races in a civ's sites.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:30:33 pm »

It definitely USED to add more other races to sites. Was this removed, or does it merely avoid player-available sites?

Also check slavery ethics if nobody has already -- acceptable slavery also used to at least increase the rate of other races ending up in your NPC sites in legends.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:43 pm »

[BABYSNATCHER] civs, at least in 34.11, will not get different-race migrants, at least that I have noticed. I don't think 40.X changed this, so yeah, it seems player-made sites will only consider members of the civ's race for normal migration. Haven't tested civ-level nobles yet.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 07:31:10 am »

I've done a lot of playing with the baby snatcher and item thief tokens on entities and KingMurdoc is pretty much correct. One interesting thing it does add though is give you a crude way of making civs friendly or force war with each other. Any entities that share tokens (either BABYSNATCHER or ITEM_THIEF, but not both) will by default be friendlies and those who lack them will be the same - this is how elves, dwarves, and humans are friendly but goblins and kobolds aren't. If you have two or more civs that share tokens, they would function as allies - two goblin civs with babysnatcher will snatch from each other, but won't be at permanent war with each other.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:58 am »

-You'll be at peace with the goblins but will never have trade with them, presumably due to their lack of progress triggers, if you both have the token.

You'll need to make sure other BABYSNATCHERS have Pack and/or Pull animals defined to enable trade, too.