Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]  (Read 59200 times)

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.3 [40.xx]
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 03:31:27 am »

any chance you can provide a mirror? My work laptop blocks DFFD  :(

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 04:30:17 am »

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:15 am »

yup - thanks!

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.4 [40.xx]
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 02:34:02 pm »

Version 1.4 out, and, with that containing the smallest tweak of all, I announce the end of the rapid-fire update period.

I will probably not be changing much without feedback after this point, unless I find more things that are glaringly mishandled.

(Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6g9i8y9iu74wa7l/StalsArmouryPackv1_4_40xx.zip)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:37:30 pm by Stalhansch »

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »

One problem imo - having a helmet with 100% coverage means NPCs will stand and bounce weapons off unconscious peoples helmets 100% of the time for ingame months without killing them..

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »

So I found something inconvenient when I tried to play Fortress Mode with your mod. Your pickaxes are much larger than vanilla picks, so they cost 324 embark points. I think I'll stick to Adventure Mode with this, because that's probably what you had in mind anyway.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 04:14:42 pm »

One problem imo - having a helmet with 100% coverage means NPCs will stand and bounce weapons off unconscious peoples helmets 100% of the time for ingame months without killing them..
Bladed weapons, yes, unless there is enough force behind the blade to bruise through the helmet then the victim is completely safe. Some blunt weapons will also bounce without enough force, but persistence is rewarding.

As with real-life close combat my mod actually puts a lot of weight on to wrestling, and the tactic of occasionally manipulating your opponents armour (in this case, removing the helmet) to exploit their weaknesses. I realise the AI cannot normally do this, and I compensate by balancing for common sense; sword vs hammer in armoured combat, the hammer is going to (usually) win, period. Otherwise the sword has the advantage in unarmoured combat.

So I found something inconvenient when I tried to play Fortress Mode with your mod. Your pickaxes are much larger than vanilla picks, so they cost 324 embark points. I think I'll stick to Adventure Mode with this, because that's probably what you had in mind anyway.
Ah... I hadn't thought of embark points beyond adding the hatchet for a cheap woodcutting axe to start with, though that could also be false now too. It's been a while since I tested Fortress mode, and you're right about Adventure mode being my main concern. I will look into fixing the pickaxe problem, scold me for not thoroughly inspecting Fortress mode!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »

scold me for not thoroughly inspecting Fortress mode!
So... did you check how many bars each item costs? Thats material-size related, and if you have very large items (size => high value) that have a low material-size (not many bars to make), then people can spam those cheaply made, but highly valuable weapons and buy out caravans easily.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »

So... did you check how many bars each item costs? Thats material-size related, and if you have very large items (size => high value) that have a low material-size (not many bars to make), then people can spam those cheaply made, but highly valuable weapons and buy out caravans easily.
This I did keep in mind. Unless the inner workings has changed, it should be material size = 3x bar cost. The breastplate should be the most expensive piece to make, with a material size of 15 (5 bars!).

The issue arises from the fact that I can not directly set embark point costs (to my knowlege), so therefore it escaped my concern as a "hidden" detail.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »

Embark points (aka ingame value) is directly linked to size. Thats the only thing you can affect in the weapon/armor object to regulate its value. Maybe Toady One should consider adding a VALUE token, similar to the one tools use.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 04:29:46 pm »

Embark points (aka ingame value) is directly linked to size. Thats the only thing you can affect in the weapon/armor object to regulate its value. Maybe Toady One should consider adding a VALUE token, similar to the one tools use.
This I did not fully understand, but now I do. Thank you.

For the most part it should be strong weapon = large weapon = high material size, and should therefore be mostly okay, but I can think of a few weapons that could be problematic. This will be mended with the next update.

A VALUE token would be much appreciated as well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:35:26 pm by Stalhansch »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:25 pm »

So Stalhansch, would you be willing to put some thought into what values would be appropriate for throwing weapons?  I'd like to make five types of throwing ammo (throwing clubs, knives, axes, hammers, and javelins), and turn every primary melee weapon into a launcher for those ammo types.  But I have not studied DF's combat physics well enough to determine the most appropriate values for them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 04:44:23 pm »

Ammo is difficult, because its always created in 25 ammo stacks. Custom reactions can of course help, instead of using permitted items in the entity file, but they would need a new workshop and are marked as foreign. This means they need to be added manually to military uniforms.

Ammo easily gets very high value because of that. The problem is that size is the most important factor for ammo to do damage. I personally find it very tricky to get a balance between combat damage and value. My cannonballs and javelins are way to valuable.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 04:55:24 pm »

Didn't realize you couldn't do smaller stacks.  I supposed that also means it's only carried in stacks of 25 also (unless spent and scavenged).
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.5 [40.xx]
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 05:40:34 pm »

Version 1.5 out.

I did my best to fix most of the costs of the items, but some items may still be odd. As stated, without a proper VALUE token I am not sure what more I can do. It seems I would have to rework the files with a different model of thinking, essentially re-doing the entire mod. I am not against this entirely if it fixes what can be seen as a major flaw, but I would prefer not to have to.

I'll have to do some research.

(Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5e36au3ax3txjuz/StalsArmouryPackv1_5_40xx.zip)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10