Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]  (Read 59199 times)

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:26 pm »

[Preamble]

A couple of years ago I became rather obsessed with understanding the Dwarf Fortress combat system. I was often annoyed by how armour didn't have as much of an impact in battle as it should. Swords and axes were prone to severing limbs straight through and spears easily pierced the entirety of legs, even when made of the same material as the armour they were seemingly ignoring. I was further bothered by ranged being the end-all of combat more often than not.

This led me to many a night of searches and inspections of raws from several different mods, trying to figure out how they attempted to solved this perennial problem of mine. I ultimately stumbled across Lucelle's mod. After playing around with Lucelle's mod, I was inspired to try and fix the problem myself.

This small project is the result of almost 2 years of tweaking and too many hours spent testing in the Arena. I think it's finally come to a point where it is as balanced and sensical as it's going to be with only myself to scrutinise (One of my primary goals was to have weapons behave as they would in real life, but this is Dwarf Fortress and there will be anomalies). Of course, my idea of balance is only my own, and this is what has brought me to release this project to the public. I invite you to either help me improve this mod with critique and suggestions or simply enjoy it any other way you see fit.

[Notes]

[Armour and Clothing Layers]
Currently, most armour and clothing layers on pieces are tailoured to only allow one article of equipment in each slot. For the most part, you can no longer wear multiple chain layers and a hundred cloaks. On the bright side, you won't need to.

Then what all can I wear?
My packs can make Dwarf Fortress rather picky as to what you can put on. You may have to juggle your equipment around when changing outfits in Adventure mode. However, this problem should be minimal in Fortress mode.

To simplify the process I recommend you view it like stacking cups; armour is the largest cup, and underclothes such as hand/leg wraps and shirts/tunics are the smallest cup.

[Packs]

[Armoury Pack]
This pack includes about 85 weapons and about 65 articles of armour and clothing. Below is the list of them in their entirety.

Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armour (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clothing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shields (click to show/hide)

[Adventure Mode]
Adventure mode changes have been suspended/removed until I know what I'm doing again.

[Updates]
v1.9:
- Updated to 43.05
- STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_ALL in various files changed to STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL where appropriate (oversight)
item_weapon.txt
- Added 'medium' bow weapon
- MINIMUM_SIZE value adjustments for several weapons
- Weapon name localisation adjustments
- Removed daggers
item_ammo.txt
- Minour adjustments to some ammunition types
- Sling bullets changed from EDGED to BLUNT
item_armor.txt
- Aketon coverage increased to 150% from 100%
item_body.txt
- 'Dress' renamed to 'kaftan' (gender-neutral garment name)
item_gloves.txt
- Redundant MATERIAL_SIZE for mittens removed
item_helm.txt
- MATERIAL_SIZE for bascinet increased to 6 from 3
- Both metal and cloth coifs improved; padded coif renamed to 'arming coif'
- Civilian coif added, replacing arming cap
- Hood renamed to cowl
item_shoes.txt
- Leather military boot coverage increased to 250% from 200%
- Clogs added
item_tool.txt
- Added daggers as civilian weapons; only affects adventure mode

Spoiler: Past Updates (click to show/hide)

[Download]
Download Link
The zip file contains an optional pre-configured entity_default with the weapons divided among the creatures in a loose theme. Otherwise I have compiled the relevant tokens in the readme file for custom modification.
The zip file also contains an optional custom creature_standard with bite and scratch attacks removed from dwarves, humans and elves.

[Bugs]
I am by no means a master at modding Dwarf Fortress. There may be oddities, there may be bugs. You may express your displeasure with them in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:23:23 pm by Stalhansch »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.0 [40.xx]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »

PTW
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:19:39 am »

I humbly bow my head to you, sir... Above any new creature, metal, civilization, or even new play style, THIS is what I've wanted. Realistic arms and weapons. Three hoods and cloaks, two mails shirts, gauntlets and boots, a shield and weapon, chain leggings and greaves. That's a heavy cavalry setup. Not an infantry setup. It's too bad you didn't make realistic shields as well, maybe adding kite and tower shields, and targes. But still, I bow my head to you. This, plus a mount system, and my head will explode from the sheer amazingness.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:36 am »

It's too bad you didn't make realistic shields as well, maybe adding kite and tower shields, and targes.

Oh, I completely forgot to mention. My mod includes 5 shields. Buckler, round, heater, kite and tower. I'll add those to the post.

And thank you. "Realism", or rather, "authenticity", was my goal. As to whether I've achieved it is anyone's call.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:00:04 am »

Do you know about Mifkis Twbt? Its possible to add graphics to the items, give them unique tiles. I am sure some people that see a "Byrnie" or "Goedendag" or "Short Seax" will not know what they are looking at without opening wikipedia. With tiles, it would be a bit easier.

I would also ask around if anyone (maklak most likely, or one of the dfhack crew) for a script that reads out the details. Name, Attack Skill, Edged or Blunt and minimum size/material size would be good to know for users. It would be great if this is included in a readme as a table. I only mention it, because I added a similar amount of weapons to Masterwork at some point, and I got a lot (seriously a lot) of people asking which weapon uses which skill. And ammo types of course.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:14:59 am »

Do you know about Mifkis Twbt? Its possible to add graphics to the items, give them unique tiles. I am sure some people that see a "Byrnie" or "Goedendag" or "Short Seax" will not know what they are looking at without opening wikipedia. With tiles, it would be a bit easier.
Yes, I'm aware of some not knowing what particular weapons are. I did attempt to minimise this problem by using as many "common names" as I could (or rather, let myself get away with). For example I chose breastplate over cuirass, upper greaves over cuisses, tower shield over pavise, and a plethora of other names. Some names, such as goedendag, sounded much better to me than "spiked staff" or something similar. I am also always looking for ways to influence people to educate themselves on history, and hopefully interesting names will spark said interest into the flame of said education.

However, adding custom tiles to items does sound like something I could get into. I do dabble in pixel art. I'll give it a look.

Name, Attack Skill, Edged or Blunt and minimum size/material size would be good to know for users. It would be great if this is included in a readme as a table.
This goes tucked under the chart of what-fits-under-what, and thusly into the box of things I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. I do see your point, and I will try to make this information easily accessible in the near future. I do not think a script would be necessary, however, if anyone with the skills to make one are so inclined, I certainly wouldn't object.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:19:19 am »

The script already exists: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126953.0

I just wanst sure if you know how to handle perl, you have to install it and run the script from a command box, so maybe maklak himself could help you with this better. 
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:24:53 am »

MASSIVE thumbs up to you. I'll try this out tomorrow, see how realistic it is. Arena mode until I find the best three setups, then royally abuse them. I can't wait to use this. Are the armours solely designed for dwarves, or will they scale to fit other civilizations as well?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:06 am »

The script already exists: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126953.0

I just wanst sure if you know how to handle perl, you have to install it and run the script from a command box, so maybe maklak himself could help you with this better.
Righto. I'll look into it. Thank you.

MASSIVE thumbs up to you. I'll try this out tomorrow, see how realistic it is. Arena mode until I find the best three setups, then royally abuse them. I can't wait to use this. Are the armours solely designed for dwarves, or will they scale to fit other civilizations as well?
The weapons are made with their real-life sizes in mind. Dwarfs and elves simply cannot handle some weapons (very well). My pre-configured entity_default is set up to respect this. Armour, however, should work for whatever creature has it, as it currently works in vanilla.

In all honesty, in my own raws I have elves tweaked to make metal weapons. My justification is that they already "mutilate" their source of wood to make their equipment as it is, so why not have them go full hypocrite and use it to smith? I did this for simplicity and for a larger challenge during Fortress mode, and I recommend others to do something similar, especially when using my mod.

Otherwise... elves seem to do okay. Wooden versions of my weapons can tear muscle well enough, granted the victim is unarmoured.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:56:59 am by Stalhansch »

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.2 [40.xx]
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:26 pm »

Is a partisan counted as a pike or spear? It's not in the list in your post, but I see it in-game.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.2 [40.xx]
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:13 pm »

Is a partisan counted as a pike or spear? It's not in the list in your post, but I see it in-game.
Oh. My mistake, it's a spear. I have it listed as "spetum", having forgotten I renamed it to "partisan".

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.3 [40.xx]
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:49 pm »

Making this post for version 1.3, as it actually adds an item and will therefore require you to re-generate the world should you care enough to want it.

Leather body armour is now an option, which it previously was not. Leather armour can make a difference, but the difference will be minimal. It can turn a lethal disembowelment into a severe wound, which may be just enough to spare a life. It is, however, leagues better than cloth armour such as Gambesons and Aketons, which serve more appropriately as armour padding than armour itself.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 12:01:59 am »

Do you mind if I use this as a base starting point for my own modding purposes?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:36 am »

I do not mind, but as with any mod I would appreciate credit.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:47 am »

I do not mind, but as with any mod I would appreciate credit.

Intended!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10