Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]  (Read 59536 times)

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.5 [40.xx]
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 05:55:50 pm »

Bladed weapons, yes, unless there is enough force behind the blade to bruise through the helmet then the victim is completely safe. Some blunt weapons will also bounce without enough force, but persistence is rewarding.

As with real-life close combat my mod actually puts a lot of weight on to wrestling, and the tactic of occasionally manipulating your opponents armour (in this case, removing the helmet) to exploit their weaknesses. I realise the AI cannot normally do this, and I compensate by balancing for common sense; sword vs hammer in armoured combat, the hammer is going to (usually) win, period. Otherwise the sword has the advantage in unarmoured combat.

but NPCs will just attack the helmet over and over for months, which is stupid. Balance with the assumption that the AI will be performing most the combat imo

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »

but NPCs will just attack the helmet over and over for months, which is stupid. Balance with the assumption that the AI will be performing most the combat imo

Pastebin

A couple of competent, fully-armoured, sword-wielding humans seemed to figure something out in, I'd wager, less than 30 minutes of in-game time. I could be wrong about the time, but it certainly wasn't "months".

Balancing for AI would mean allowing swords to consistently hit through armour, which would defeat half of the purpose of this mod. This mod is designed to make armour mean something, which it does.

I can also recall several times during testing where one subject with a sword stabbed through a helmet and killed their opponent. It does not happen often, as it shouldn't, but it does happen.

Speaking of which...
Code: [Select]
Human 1 stabs Human 2 in the right lower arm with his iron arming sword, tearing the muscle through the iron right gauntlet!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
The Human 2 loses hold of the iron arming sword.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 09:44:52 pm »

Looking at the raws, I don't see any functional difference between the Pick and Mattock?  Is there a purpose for separating them?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 10:00:57 pm »

Looking at the raws, I don't see any functional difference between the Pick and Mattock?  Is there a purpose for separating them?
This mod is actually only part of a larger mod I've been working on that attempts to flesh out the races and give more depth to their strengths, including two separate human entities.

In this case I gave elves access to the metal industry and an entire noble system that serves as an antithesis to dwarves, with their armies focusing primarily on stealth squads. The mattock serves as their form of pickaxe, solely for theme. I did not give elves access to the metal industry in the pre-configured entity_default I released with this mod, nor do they have the mattock. I left the mattock (as well as other weapons) in for anyone that wishes to use them for similar purposes, or whatever else, without being assigned to any race.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »

I was using a bunch of the armour set ups in arena mode, and, oddly, I found severed parts were more common with new armours than with the old. I may have just been leaving parts uncovered by accident, but cloven arms, hands, and feet were all over the place in the most of my tests.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »

I was using a bunch of the armour set ups in arena mode, and, oddly, I found severed parts were more common with new armours than with the old. I may have just been leaving parts uncovered by accident, but cloven arms, hands, and feet were all over the place in the most of my tests.
That doesn't sound likely. What set-ups were you using? Material plays a large role as well.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 07:50:12 pm »

An aketon, bascinet, upper and lower greaves, chain mail gauntlets and mittens, and a kite shield, the weapons were scimitars, arming swords, and adzes.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »

An aketon, bascinet, upper and lower greaves, chain mail gauntlets and mittens, and a kite shield, the weapons were scimitars, arming swords, and adzes.
You weren't wearing any metal body armour. The aketon is (should) be made only of cloth. The gambeson is a slightly bulkier variant of cloth armour. They would only be useful against daggers and the like, and even then you would be better off with leather armour.

Also, in case, make note that lower greaves are boots, so you should be wearing two of them if you were not.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 10:57:30 pm »

(Face+palm) Thanks! I was thinking of the aketon from Dungeon Master, which was a metal mail shirt. I'll pop in a set of scale or chain body armour.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 06:17:58 am »

Can weapons and armour be damaged? Could they? And how's ranged combat?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 04:04:05 pm »

Can weapons and armour be damaged? Could they? And how's ranged combat?
If I'm not mistaken, armour can only be damaged if left on a refuse pile. I don't think I've ever seen a worn weapon though. This is all part of vanilla functionality of course. I did nothing to change this. I don't know if it's possible to make it so items take damage with use regardless.

Ranged combat is almost as effective as it is in vanilla against anything but plate armour. Plate armour, and to an extent chain armour, will stop a good portion of projectiles. Note that they may still cause internal wounds such as bruising. Crossbows are the only ranged weapon that can consistently damage through plate, as they were intended to upon invention, however, even crossbows have trouble actually killing through plate.

Here would be a bow test with 25 arrows, however, I was unable to run a test where the target didn't arrive at the bow user and kick his butt. For the most part, the target was completely safe from the bow user, save for one test (out of 6) where the bow user managed to headshot the target straight through a bascinet.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »

This mod looks great and I'd like to use it in an Extented Crafting mod I'm working on.

A question though: Many items have a COVERAGE of >200. Why? From what I gathered, the COVERAGE tag is a percentage, and a value of more than 100 has no additional effect.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:13 pm »

This mod looks great and I'd like to use it in an Extented Crafting mod I'm working on.

A question though: Many items have a COVERAGE of >200. Why? From what I gathered, the COVERAGE tag is a percentage, and a value of more than 100 has no additional effect.
Most of my testing and research on values other than the attack values was done long ago.

Based on the testing and research I had done, it seemed that the higher the percentage, including beyond 100, the more that the attacks were absorbed by the piece of armour. Armour was the first part of my mod to be "completed", as I wanted to tailour the weapons to the armour. It made more sense to me that way, and I thought that trying to tailour the armour to the weapons would be a longer and more haphazard process of trial and error. That is why most of the weapons (if not all, come to think of it) in my mod are technically piercing weapons. They need to try and get through several "layers" (%'s) of armour, and this can only really be done through either pierce or blunt damage.

It could very well be that my model is wrong or no longer accurate with recent versions, however it appears to work how I intended it to currently, so I don't see a use in changing it unless someone else can educate me further.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 12:46:16 am »

If Dwarves can use glaives I will be a happy person. I have no idea why but I have a demented fondness for the weapon. Regardless, the armor alone basically being in line with how I do uniforms makes this worth getting.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 05:38:14 am »

If Dwarves can use glaives I will be a happy person. I have no idea why but I have a demented fondness for the weapon. Regardless, the armor alone basically being in line with how I do uniforms makes this worth getting.
They can, technically. Glaives are just below the limit for an average-sized dwarf to wield them. They can only wield glaives multigrasp for this reason, and weaker, more sickly dwarf specimens may not be able to wield glaives at all. (You can of course change this yourself by editing MINIMUM_SIZE for the glaive appropriately.)

You will also need to add the glaive to the dwarf civilisation in entity_default yourself, as it is not there by default.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10