Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]  (Read 59202 times)

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2017, 03:04:57 pm »

Was there a version of this mod for 43.03, and are there mirrors? I'm still using it due to not wanting to use the dfhack alpha.

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »

How can I add weapons and armor for dorfs from some other civilisations? I added them in the entity_default but they cant make them in metalsmith's forge.

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2017, 06:24:47 am »

Sorry, it was my fault, i dont putted it in the proper folder. But why i dont have all items that i maked acesible for dwarfs? One time i cant make gambesons, other time - salet and pants. Every time some random item is missing.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »

If you marked them as COMMON, then that means the entity will only sometimes have them. Mark them as FORCED to make sure the entity always has access to them.

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2017, 07:19:16 am »

Thanks! :)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2017, 08:41:54 pm »

Anyone hear from Stal lately?  Well I was considering updating his gear in the current version of MW.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2017, 08:53:48 pm »

The last time I heard from him was when I asked him about using his tribal-mode stuff for a tribal society based mod, which is presently kinda stuck, since both I and the other guy working on it stopped working on it when the holidays rolled around last year.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2017, 08:40:58 am »

The last time I heard from him was when I asked him about using his tribal-mode stuff for a tribal society based mod, which is presently kinda stuck, since both I and the other guy working on it stopped working on it when the holidays rolled around last year.

Well then, I'll considered this abandoned property until he returns, thanks for the info Splint.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2018, 09:59:33 am »

Apologies for the necro, but in your experience, is this mod enough to mitigate the effect of the over-the-top force translation pass? I'm talking about the stuff where getting hit with copper slashing weapons by goblins while wearing steel plate is just as likely to pulverize your joints or mangle your limbs as if you were hit with blunt weapons.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2018, 11:08:37 am »

Don't believe so, the wet newspaper joints are an issue with bodypart size and material properties and largely ignore armor.

My own mod addresses this, but does come with a lot of other stuff included. I'm not aware of any standalone patch for joints.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2018, 05:47:14 pm »

Gotcha, but would ripping the creature, body and material raws from your mod work for this?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2018, 09:42:14 am »

Yeah probably, grabbing the material_template changes to body tissues only and the body_default entry for joints should do it. The balance might be wonky, but joints should in any case be less flimsy.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2018, 09:23:05 pm »

Sounds good. I'll try that for my next game then.

TheCspl

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I wish you could change your username...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »

I have to mention, cloth armor (gambesons and aketons) has been misrepresented in this mod, real gambesons/aketons were actually pretty good armor, capable of stopping arrows from an english longbow, and you would only be able to cut it if your blade was shaving sharp (sharp enough to cleanly cut facial hair), Though, a good thrust would almost certainly pierce through the armor with ease.  The point is, gambesons/aketons in reality are equal to, possibly even better than leather armor, considering the lower amount of restriction caused by cloth that lets you layer large amounts of it.  Furthermore, leather armor was hardly used in a medieval sense, sure, it was used before then, but there is a reason why a medieval soldier would prefer a gambeson over a suit of leather.  Plus, being almost required for metal armor (otherwise the mail would chafe, or you would have almost no protection from blunt strikes) also helped that preference.  My evidence is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODS7ksbBRuE  , as well as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4wLMmp-8U , andhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_yObDjXVQ , and https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3617500337&feature=iv&src_vid=Li_yObDjXVQ&v=CULmGfvYlso , Great mod though, keep it up. 
Rovod RomekDurad

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:11 am »

To be fair, getting soft armor to work properly in Dwarf Fortress is actually somewhat of a pain, DF's simulation of edged weapons cutting through stuff is... questionable.

Also, as far as I know, there hasn't really been much practical testing done on reproductions of actual leather armor / 'cuir bouille' / boiled leather armor. There are no surviving examples that I know of, and artwork and descriptions of the period do mention it but tend not to go into any detail about how it was shaped or produced. As far as we know they served as an early form of rigid armor for the chest and possibly limbs, and would have been used in compliment with mail and cloth.

The question of 'is cloth armor better than leather?' stems from a bit of a misunderstanding in what function leather armor even had, at least in western Europe. Outside of that there were some instances of thick, boiled leather being used in various kinds of lamellar armor coats.

That all said, cloth armor shouldn't be useless, from both a gameplay and historic perspective.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10