Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.40.10] Wasteland Chronicles: The Brotherhood (beta 3)  (Read 29374 times)

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.10] Wasteland Chronicles: The Brotherhood (beta 3)
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »

I'd like to present some suggestions pertaining to equipment and research:

Spoilered to shrink down the post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:03 pm »

- New cosmetic buildings:

I absolutely love those things. The only reason I'm not loudly demanding more is that they might clutter up the buildings screen. Perhaps they could be absolutely last in the list, and not have any assigned hotkeys? Then we could make as many as we wanted; I think it's worth repeating that I absolutely love the idea and the possibilities for execution.

I accept ideas what we could upgrade "cheesemaker" to? "Distiller" and make both cheesemaking and alcohol reactions depend on him, and turn brewer into another profession for advanced stuff?

That's an interesting idea. Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but there are also a lot of extremely specific skills that could be parsed down. Perhaps Cook could be used for cheesemaking and brewing? That would free up several new skills to use for advanced industries: things like making firearms and building scientific equipment.

In addition I plan to remove shields alltogether as "overpowered walls of defense". They would be replaced with pip-boys, totems, riot batons, brass knuckles and the like. And they would have either 0 or very low block chance. Then there would be high-tech "directional forcefields" which would be like normal shields.

That would make particular sense in a modern setting; right now a wooden shield can deflect the shots from rifles. It would also make combat more lethal, of course; that's mostly a nerf to the player's defenses and Brother survivability, so I would do some playtesting before giving my solid opinion on it. It would go a long way towards making ranged combat a more viable option, though.

Another thing to consider - the research system. I think you should be able to research holodisks and pre-war books and get "science notes". Then you would combine a number of such notes into a "scientific breakthrough". Then you would use that "scientific breakthrough" with additional science notes to get the next level of tech, and the breakthrough would stay. I could make a tech tree using this.

I think it would be cool if the player could choose which area to direct his research towards. In the pony mod, salvage was completely random; if you wanted robot parts you were out of luck, because there was no way to manipulate the odds towards any particular goal. If these were generic notes that could be combined into specific breakthroughs (or maybe themed notes, like 'electronics notes' and 'physics notes' that could each be used on certain breakthroughs?) then the player could make decisions rather than roll with whatever the RNG gives him.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 06:13:57 pm »

Perhaps if cosmetic workshops where in its own tab...

I like the idea of Michael_Almeida scrap tier idea.

I dont like the idea of cheesemakers being turned into distillers, since that (To me) means brewing, perhaps (Insert term for someone who cultures things), since cheese makeing could be defined as just choosing what mold to grow... Plus you then could have them do things like grow meat cultures or bacterial compounds.

Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 06:22:12 pm »

Perhaps if cosmetic workshops where in its own tab...

That was the first thing that occured to me, but I don't know the limitations of .exe editing or dfhack, so I didn't mention it.

I like the idea of Michael_Almeida scrap tier idea.

I was under the impression that the original mod included this, and that it wasn't present in the current mod for the reasons Deon already stated.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:47 pm »

Nope, nothing like that in the origional. Jsut had the basic scrap that was processed into things, which included crates of good loot.
But now that we can pick over things...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 07:00:54 pm »

Nope, nothing like that in the origional. Jsut had the basic scrap that was processed into things, which included crates of good loot.

Teaches me to blather without playing the original mod first.

The pony mod had three levels of salvagable scrap, along with a few special items. Low-quality salvage was found everywhere, and only yielded basic tools and resources. Medium-quality salvage was found in underground caverns and evil areas, and was the primary reason someone would embark in an evil area. It often gave weapons, armor and several reagents for higher-end technology. High-quality salvage was rarely found underground and was the only consistent source of several powerful end-game items like power armor. There were also terminals and vending machines that could yield a few specific salvage items that were mostly relevant to that mod's tech trees.
Michael_Almeida's suggestions sound very similar to what was implemented there, and I think the addition of specialized salvage would be a good idea. The ability to seek out specific resources would be an improvement, in my opinion; a player could search the caverns for specific types of salvage for the industries he needs rather than just gather salvage and hope what he needs shows up sooner or later.

bluescreen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »

PTW this

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 07:41:33 pm »

Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 09:13:31 pm »

The ability to seek out specific resources would be an improvement, in my opinion; a player could search the caverns for specific types of salvage for the industries he needs rather than just gather salvage and hope what he needs shows up sooner or later.
Plus, if its treated like a perennial (You pick it over, not removing it) than we dont have scrap growing in odd ways, but then again, that sorta thing isint fully implemented in dwarf mode yet anyways, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »

-snip-
Michael_Almeida's suggestions sound very similar to what was implemented there, and I think the addition of specialized salvage would be a good idea. The ability to seek out specific resources would be an improvement, in my opinion; a player could search the caverns for specific types of salvage for the industries he needs rather than just gather salvage and hope what he needs shows up sooner or later.

Not going to lie: I did take that idea from the Fallout: Equestria mod. I still think that it did a lot of awesome things with it's systems. Of course stuff like magic doesn't even remotely fit here, but I still think that different scrap heaps giving different items would be a great touch.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 12:26:42 am »

The only reason why it was not in the old mod is that we had limited way with tree names. Now that we can call trunks separately from material name it would be much easier to do.

Also I still dislike how the trees are at least 3 tiles tall now, you cannot make them smaller. I wish that limitation would go in the future, having 1-tile small scrap piles would be cool.

I dont like the idea of cheesemakers being turned into distillers
I agree here, however cheesemaking seems to be one of those "don't care about" skills which plagues immigrant waves, so finding more uses or making it more unique would be cool.
I also plan to make different alcohol types for a single plant and make different reactions to create them, now that brewing is moddable.

I think it would be cool if the player could choose which area to direct his research towards. In the pony mod, salvage was completely random; if you wanted robot parts you were out of luck, because there was no way to manipulate the odds towards any particular goal. If these were generic notes that could be combined into specific breakthroughs (or maybe themed notes, like 'electronics notes' and 'physics notes' that could each be used on certain breakthroughs?) then the player could make decisions rather than roll with whatever the RNG gives him.
This was the way it was in the previous mod: you could pick which tech to unlock, and I plan to keep it player-controlled yet still requiring an effort to find the proper materials.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 08:17:03 am »

what about the culturer idea for cheesemakers?
Highly Opinionated Fool

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2014, 09:01:00 am »

what about the culturer idea for cheesemakers?

maybe chemist?  bundle it with brewing and alchemy...

Also I still dislike how the trees are at least 3 tiles tall now, you cannot make them smaller. I wish that limitation would go in the future, having 1-tile small scrap piles would be cool.  Garbage does have a magical tendency to clump up together when you're not looking anyway.

I could have sworn the first .40.x let you have 1-space tall trees...well...could always make them 3-5 tiles wide and make them even rarer.  Then they'd be like garbage heaps and junkyard piles.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:13:27 am by JediaKyrol »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 11:27:53 am »

alchemy is allready grabbed with inventing, and why would a chemist make cheese?
Or brew booze?
Highly Opinionated Fool

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:56 am »

alchemy is allready grabbed with inventing, and why would a chemist make cheese?
Or brew booze?

well...going to school for Dairy or Brewery Management requires you to take biochemistry and microbiology courses.  It's not "Chemical Engineering!" chemistry...but under the same umbrella.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10