Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.40.10] Wasteland Chronicles: The Brotherhood (beta 3)  (Read 29349 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
[0.40.10] Wasteland Chronicles: The Brotherhood (beta 3)
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »

W A S T E L A N D      C H R O N I C L E S
The Brotherhood

Civilizations:
- Brotherhood: The playable civilization. Your goal is to unite people together, shelter them from the outside world and reclaim the old technology to preserve and use it.

- Wastelanders: Hardened people who live in ruins of old cities or build their own communities. They may be quick on a trigger but they can be good trading partners.
- Tribals: wild humans which resorted to an animalistic way of life. They have hunting parties patrolling their territories and a shaman is governing above all their activities.
- Ghouls: mutated wretched humanoids who still have a spark of humanity. They are unreliable allies but they are still willing to trade for tools and provision.

- Raiders: brutal lawless men who will willingly raid, rob and kill your people.
- Grunts: a race of genetically engineered humans who consider themselves to be the only proper humans and try to eradicate all the lesser "humanoids" or enslave them.
- Dregs: twisted human-like creatures who are unable to talk or use complex tools, yet they are very sneaky and willing to steal your shinies.

Civilizations have custom descriptor shapes for engravings, images and symbols.
Civilizations also have custom noble positions.

Maps:
- A map of North America (now with appropriate northern pole).

Weapons and armor:

- Knives, combat knives, clubs, spears, sledgehammers, hacksaws, machetes etc.
- Bows and crossbows (both are "bow" skill now).
- Rifles and ammo (rifles cannot be crafted, you need to loot them or trade for them). Ammo can be found in scrap piles

- New types of clothes and armor: jumpsuits and underwear, combat armor and greaves, jackets and hats, goggles and caps, t-shirts and jeans etc.

Flora
- Some pre-war trees and plants survived and can be used for farming.
- New post-apocalyptic plants and mutated species of trees.
- Scrap piles litter the landscape and can be gathered and processed in Scrapyard.
- New drinks, mills and edible parts processing which can be performed through the Farmers workshop (i.e. you need to thresh wheat before you can do something with it to get the seeds).

Fauna
- A lot of mutated and some surviving pre-war creatures.
- Unimaginable mutants found in "evil" areas only.
- Pre-war creatures with different castes (foul, two-headed, premium etc).
- Dogs which hunt vermin (and sometimes have two heads as well).

Geology
- Simplified ore types.
- Less types of metal available. Tin and the like are long mined out.
- Concrete remains of buildings in the soil with scrap and glass in them.
- New uranium/plutonium ores (no industry setup for them yet).

Adventure mode basic crafting:
- Built on the "Wanderer" mod.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:17:37 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.10] Wasteland Chronicles: The Brotherhood (beta 1)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:41 pm »

This is just the beta release.

- Rifle is currently overpowered versus unarmored opponents but it is easy to counter with combat armor/greaves/helmet.
- Currently just one custom workshop "scrapyard" which turns scrap logs into metal bars and rarely ammo.
- You need to trade for rifles or loot them from enemies.
- Megabeasts, curses and night creatures are not in yet.
- Robots are not in yet.

I need to go to sleep because it's almost 7 AM here, I will make sure to keep updating it and bring the old complex research and crafting back.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:38:11 am »

Tiny tipo in the beginning:
- Brotherhood: The playable civilization.

Are you restarting your Fallout mod with 40.x with this, or will it become very different from it?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:56:12 am »

Tiny tipo in the beginning:
- Brotherhood: The playable civilization.

Are you restarting your Fallout mod with 40.x with this, or will it become very different from it?
Thanks, I was very sleepy when I typed the description :). You can call it a reboot, because the only thing in common right now are the creatures which I did not want to rewrite from scratch. Everything else is already written from scratch, and the production workflow will be different. And of course I will remake megabeasts and night creatures. And we now play as a "brotherhood", like Brotherhood of steel. No more "vault dwellers", and the brotherhood has barely any locations in the world. And with the new values and biome settings it's possible to make all the different locations and worldgen interactrions much more fun.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:19:04 am »

PTW.

I am a little disappointed that we don't play as vault dweller's anymore. But, hey. The Brotherhood of Steel should be nice.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 06:20:05 am »

It's only because "vault dweller" is a really long name and I just liked the "brotherhood" feel more :). Your main goal will be to find old holodiscs and research or reverse engineer a fairly advanced stuff, so it makes sense to be an organisation like BoS.

I mean come on, you will have initiates, scribes, paladins etc. Which reminds me that I need to update the positions to represent it properly. I will try to release an update today.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:34:52 am »

Well, that should be fun.

Also, question. If there's a mod that's meant to just add creatures to a world, will those creatures be compatible with this?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:35 pm »

Well I hope vault dwellers still exist in some form.  Like being limited to mountain hall sites.
I hope there will be abandoned brotherhood forts to reclaim.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:31:05 pm »

I played very little of your Fallout mod, but with a revamped .40 release I'm finally tempted enough to start playing.

Spoiler: Replies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Playing Experience (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Typos and Grammar (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thoughts (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:06 am »

Phew, sorry, I got a bit ill yesterday so I just went to bed after work. I will try to patch this and that today while I am at work :).

@Ruludos: thank you very much for the feedback. It's very useful for me.

what is your stance on user-created content? I'm contemplating some additions (although I imagine a lot of it is covered in the vast amount of content you'll be porting over to this mod) and want to know how you'd prefer that sort of thing be done.
I am always happy when others wish to help. Old Genesis mod has more than 50% of its content added or tweaked by Tomitapio. Fallout mod has most of its robots designed by JediaKyrol etc. I never reject a friendly helping hand.

A strange thing I noticed is that hacksaws are pathetically cheap; a copper hacksaw is worth four urists, while a copper pickaxe is worth two hundred. Intentional?
The price is calculated on the fly. Generic hacksaws are pretty shitty as weapons, I guess this is why the game makes them so cheap. A chainsaw will be a better axe-skill weapon.

There appears to be a generic grass growing in the caverns, rather than some sort of mold.
Yep. I did not add proper grass for evil and underground areas yet. I just did not get to it, I was in a hurry to release a barebones version to attract some interested people who can help with ideas and participation.

Typos and grammar
Thanks, I will make sure to fix it all. As I said the creatures were mostly ported over from Fallout mod, which explains the direct references to Fallout lore. Also it explains the typos. I am not a perfect english speaker/user now, and back then I had a worse knowledge of the english :).

Now that you've abandoned the Fallout title, are you interested in branching out and adding content that isn't from the Fallout setting?
Well, I already renamed very fallout-specific names like Yao Guai, and I already have stuff from other settings (like Skags from borderlands, or The Thing and Xenomorphs which will be the new reworked night creatures), so I am totally okay with new content. It will make the game more interesting.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:35 am »

Please tell me that the supermutants and vault dwellers still exist as non player entities. :)
Are all the plants done btw? I see a lot of them got taken out it seems.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:55:18 am by Amuys »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:05:25 am »

"Grunts" are supermutants. They are not as huge but they are supposed to be more skilled.

I can definitely put "Vault dwellers" in as cave-dwelling entities, however making them trade partners sounds wrong. Most of the vaults were isolationist, and usually when they ended up being opened something bad happened to them or they simply left and stopped being Vault Dwellers.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:22:16 am »

I'm trying to update robots...but still have trouble with the new stuff...like the gait system applied to monopods...I really need to read up on all Toady's new junk.  Most of the stuff still works, so Deon...you'll prolly have them all synched up before I figure out what the poop I'm doing.

Oh yeah...I noticed the worlds now have historically genned treasure vaults...is there any way to edit these to put people in them?  Then we could go all Enclave in adventure mode...busting in, gunning everyone down, and stealing all their toys.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 09:40:18 am »

Nope, those vaults contain demon-related stuff with randomly generated monsters. I've tried to find out if it's possible to use them for sites, but no luck. I really hope someone from DFHack community realizes how else can we use those Vaults.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:40 am »

You can at least use lethosors localisation patcher to rename them to something more fitting. The randomly generated monsters I mean.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10