Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Control Over Throwing When Wrestling  (Read 758 times)

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Control Over Throwing When Wrestling
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:37:15 pm »

A game mechanic that can be really frustrating is that throwing is almost completely random.
I propose that we should be able to choose the direction we throw another creature in. This could also double as a bug fix for: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1118

As you can read in the bug, throwing can cause the creature being thrown to be thrown into you. Which might not be a problem, unless your character happens to be extremely strong. In this case a throw towards yourself may cause you to skid across the ground, which can do anything from breaking a bone, to being paralyzed from the neck down.

This really tends to only affect adventure mode, as I haven't really observed any non-player creatures throwing each other, so I don't know if it affects them, but if I had to guess it most likely would.

The throwing mechanic is extremely pleasurable, but sadly virtually useless as you 1 in 9 chance it will even go in the general direction of where you want it to go. To make matters more undesirable it has a 1 in 9 chance of hitting you which could seriously injure/kill your character.

I propose either an option in the wrestling throwing menu to choose a cardinal direction, or to do it normal throwing style, and choose a specific area to throw said creature towards.
To vote for this suggestion: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php#vote93
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:33:03 pm by ttlovepie »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
Re: More Control Over Throwing When Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:29:41 pm »

already plenty of threads for this although i must admit it is extremely odd it has not being done yet
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:28:09 pm »

already plenty of threads for this although i must admit it is extremely odd it has not being done yet
TBH, I found some old threads, and they didn't seem very well made and were very old, and I wasn't really sure what to do, so I made a new one. Is there a specific way of doing this that I'm not aware of.
After looking again, I realized I couldn't really find any that talked about it, that I could find, and I recently added it to eternal voting because it wasn't there either.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:36:27 pm by ttlovepie »

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:48 pm »

likely throws and takedowns for unarmed combat should be different than armed combat.

unarmed and wearing a robe? then generic hip toss or outside trip or a body slam.

armed? then perhaps methods to grapple using weapons/shield in that more middle ages way.

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:28 pm »

likely throws and takedowns for unarmed combat should be different than armed combat.

unarmed and wearing a robe? then generic hip toss or outside trip or a body slam.

armed? then perhaps methods to grapple using weapons/shield in that more middle ages way.
In this particular suggestion, I don't necessarily find this relevant, would you mind sharing your opinion on this topic.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:07:42 pm »

I believe you are asking for control over choice to throw or not to throw. And if you choose to throw, a direction. I agree with this.

My post added that there should be a difference between unarmed/armed throws. It would be quite nifty to have additional choice as the current grappling system allows you to do kneebar, ankle lock, armbar, and keylock, etc., instead of the reduction of all locks on the leg to just leglocks, or everything involving the arm to armlock. To differentiate makes something less general and vague, and less random.

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:15:13 pm »

I believe you are asking for control over choice to throw or not to throw. And if you choose to throw, a direction. I agree with this.

My post added that there should be a difference between unarmed/armed throws. It would be quite nifty to have additional choice as the current grappling system allows you to do kneebar, ankle lock, armbar, and keylock, etc., instead of the reduction of all locks on the leg to just leglocks, or everything involving the arm to armlock. To differentiate makes something less general and vague, and less random.

This thread is about throwing specifically, I'm not suggesting anything else about wrestling.