Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Umm.. How would I go about releasing a mod?  (Read 886 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Umm.. How would I go about releasing a mod?
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:46:03 am »

I'm trying to release a mod, do I just make a folder, pop the text files in with instructions, and upload to DFFD? I already have an account there.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Umm.. How would I go about releasing a mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:47:13 am »

Yes, zip it up in a zip file. Windows 7 and beyond has built-in support; 7-zip should also work.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:43:29 am »

Yes, thats it. Best to keep them in the same structure as the DF folders (so include a raw/graphics and raw/objects with your files already sorted) because people can just drag and drop them over their vanilla DF installation. That also means your mod download is very small. Other people prefer pre-installed mods, which would mean that you upload your complete DF installation with the mod included, but thats usually done for larger mods only.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:54:36 am »

With the added note that if your mod is small and you only make a pre-installed version, those of us who run several mods have to search for the files you've changed, which adds another layer of annoyance to installing it. For really tiny mods you might even just post the changes in the thread and not bother with downloads at all (like the leather-glob addon)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:53:05 am »

Oh, okay. I was told to put it there. I guess I'll release it here next time.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.