Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyway to change how many seeds can be placed in one bag?  (Read 1761 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyway to change how many seeds can be placed in one bag?
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:02 am »

Apparently 100 seeds can be placed in one bag. This really slows things down because of a certain bug. I'm hoping that if there were 10 or 20 seeds in a bag and a bunch of bags with the same seed type the farmer would be able to get seeds from bags that aren't being carried around or otherwise unavailable. Do seeds have a 'size' in the raws somewhere that can be edited or something?

[EDIT] Typos everywhere
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:33:05 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyway to change how many seeds can be placed in one bag?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:53:51 am »

They don't. They're firmly in the hardcode territory as far as their physical attributes are concerned. Same goes for bags, too.

Could DFHack forcibly alter them? Dunno, don't ask me.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:55:54 am »

I did just find a SOLID_DENSITY which I tried setting from 600 to 120. If they have a fixed mass then in theory giving them a lower density will make them take up more space.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:46 am »

Err, lowering their density would make them lighter, not heavier.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:12:14 am »

Your empirical streak is commendable, but I'm fairly sure that containers look at item volume, not density. I know that quivers don't care if they carry 50 featherwood darts or lead shot-puts, it's all about the number of stacks.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:16:27 am »

Err, lowering their density would make them lighter, not heavier.

Your empirical streak is commendable, but I'm fairly sure that containers look at item volume, not density.

Exactly, the container page says that bags contain 6000 cm^3. So if each seed has a certain mass, the lower their density the higher their volume.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:20:40 am »

No, no. Item size and item density are distinct properties. You can make the seed materials as dense or light as you want, but that only affects how heavy the grain sack ends up.

The grain sack that still carries only that specific number of seeds.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:32 am »

No, no. Item size and item density are distinct properties. You can make the seed materials as dense or light as you want, but that only affects how heavy the grain sack ends up.

Meanwhile, in real life, what he said is perfectly correct.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 12:39:37 pm »

Meanwhile, in real life, what he said is perfectly correct.

Basically, the bag can carry 6000 cm^3 of any weight.  6000cm^3 of aerogel or 6000cm^3 of neutronium, it only affects the speed of the Dwarf carrying it.  You need a way to change the size of a seed, and I'm not sure that's possible.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:19:48 pm »

Basically, the bag can carry 6000 cm^3 of any weight.  6000cm^3 of aerogel or 6000cm^3 of neutronium, it only affects the speed of the Dwarf carrying it.  You need a way to change the size of a seed, and I'm not sure that's possible.
It's possible to change that using DFHack (by overriding item_seedsst::getBaseWeight() and making it return a value greater than the default of 10), though that would make the seeds heavier as well; in previous versions, items had separate values for gross volume (used with container capacity) and net volume (for weight), but the minecart update merged them together for some reason.

Of course, that's assuming that the various item volumes aren't hardcoded in some places. And it also wouldn't help with dwarves carrying around bags to scoop up really big piles of seeds, since I recall that action ignoring container capacity in some cases.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:22:26 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.