Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remote DT  (Read 1342 times)

Hello71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remote DT
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:18:49 am »

making new topic since I doubt most people follow the DT thread.

would remote access for DT be useful for anyone?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Remote DT
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

Yes, extremely. DFTerm, DFeverywhere and any other multiplayer DF programs would get a great boon from this.

Hello71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »

for remote DF coders:

what would be the best interface? I was thinking a regular TCP connection with a basic C program (less dependencies) on the other side. all it needs to implement is read_raw, write_raw, and remote_syscall anyways. something more flexible would be a local unix socket or something that could be attached to by socat or the custom transport used for DF.

there is a bit of a security concern, since the remote DT has effective remote code execution on the DF process; removing this concern would mean a significant amount of work for little gain.

thoughts?

Rayston

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:37:36 pm »

I envision something like remote nethack

http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Public_server

though I would love one that was compatible with the various utilities like dfhack, dwarf therapist, stonesense overlay, soundsense, twbt, and abilities to customize settings including lua scripts and the like 

hazzey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »

I like the idea of the interface being coded in html5/JS.  Or maybe at least having the interface interact via RPC calls.  That could make it very mod-able.  It would allow the GUI to be completely separate from the backend. 

Of course this would make it a more complicated change from the existing codebase. Any progress would be interesting.