Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Future of the Mod - What I will do next.  (Read 10778 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Future of the Mod - What I will do next.
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 04:16:05 pm »

I really like 3 of your gnomish workshops: The stone-sensing Excavation point, the stone-revealing Geologic Seismograph, and the Drilling Rig. They would fit the heavily mining centered dwarves. :)

Armok worship: I might just leave the religious buildings like they are, but maybe make them upgradeable. Instead of 4 buildings, make only 1-2, which can be changed by using upgradebuilding by Roses.

Same for the more basic workshops. Instead of having the 4 crafters, tailor, pottery, painter, etc all in the workshop menu, I would just make a small workshop and a large workshop, and then use the upgradebuilding to toggle those. Similar to the tents in kobold mode, but to a lesser extend.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:04 pm »

For magma, I really thing that the old magma bottle thing was better for dwarves than the drill.
The drill feels too "high tech" for dwarves, as I picture them as strength oriented more than focused on detailed machinery.

That's just me though, because vanilla dwarves have access to a whole range of somewhat fine machinery too (mostly using it for traps, but still).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 04:36:23 pm »

Why not make lava bottles a high level item that dwarves can produce, but they have to get the material for the bottles (basically a supernatural insulator) in trade from another race (gnomes, drow, succubi... all of the above?)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »

Seeing that gnomes have access to very high tech materials (magnetic metals and all that), it would make sense to see them produce magma resistant containers.

If not, then glass/metal large pot + heat resistant material (fur or something among those lines) could make a bit of sense.

Succubi would also make sense too, being demons and all, but they don't trade with dwarves in the current race distribution.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 05:25:12 pm »

but they don't trade with dwarves in the current race distribution.

Well, there's trade and then there's "trade", heh heh.   ;D  Deep Dwarves also possibly could produce this material themselves, living near the magma layer they would supposedly have myriad uses for it
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:32:25 pm by daisha »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 05:35:54 pm »

This is just me nitpicking at things after having had time to think on it, but the constant references to Armok in the religious workshops and jobs when it(he? she?) otherwise goes unacknowledged strikes me as being a little weird, story-wise. Especially since according to most canon, Armok can only be appeased by chaos while dwarves seem to prefer an environment of law and isolation in order to deal with the chaos that plagues their civilization. If anything the God of Blood's chosen people in MW would probably be the orcs or warlocks, since they actively go looking for trouble.

I think it would sound better if instances of "Armok" were changed to generic references to mountains, caverns and/or volcanoes. Considering the types of things that can be found underground, it's basically the same concept anyway.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 05:45:24 pm »

Completely unrelated, but is it possible to make a workshop job require a specific caste?

I mean, the current caste system is slightly weak, with only experience boosts for most of them.
You could make it that you actually require a smith guild member to make the advanced weapons/armours, and other similar high end products.

It would give an incentive to actually specialize a few dwarves in order to reach the end of a line, while retaining the normal "anyone can do the rest".

I am really in favour of guild/castes/whatever, but they don't provide much as it is, meaning that they are mostly for flavour. (added to the fact that changing the caste doesn't ajust the exp gain right now, because that is based on the soul's caste, which is not changed)

@LMeire: It would indeed make more sense to make or use a god that appears in the game, but they are so random that most make no sense for a dwarven civilization either.

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 05:46:36 pm »

I do agree that the existence of Armok doesn't quite seem to mesh with the actual religious behavior of dwarves in vanilla, BUT

I think it would sound better if instances of "Armok" were changed to generic references to mountains, caverns and/or volcanoes. Considering the types of things that can be found underground, it's basically the same concept anyway.

*narrows eyes*  Elf spy.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 05:51:32 pm »

::) Because there's nothing more elfy than cave-ins, dangerous monsters, and magma, right?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 06:01:02 pm »

I assume they instruct you in emulating dwarven culture at the Elven Espionage Academy.   ;)

Kartag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »

I'd like to see civ/site/group/artifact/whatever names that make sense. Civ names like "The Flying Bowels" (my current dwarven civ) can sound funny sometimes, but they ruin the charm. And there must be a way to prevent certain creatures from becoming leaders of civilizations. I have to regenerate the world 3-4 times to get a single civ with its king being a creature of which the civ consists after worldgen. In my current world, there is 40 civilizations and only one of them is ruled by a proper king. The mentioned Flying Bowels. All others are ruled by giants, cyclopi, demons and minotaurs. All of them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 06:06:27 pm »

Kartag: Add no megabeasts to the worldgen, problem solved. But I can make that optional. Shorter worldgens also solve this. And the names are literally vanilla DF names, I didnt change their symbols, grouping or words. The Flying Bowels you can have in vanilla 40.x just as likely.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »

I know you've helped me with my Elf Mode mod; do you have any plans for adding Elf Mode to MDF?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 06:17:24 pm »

I know you've helped me with my Elf Mode mod; do you have any plans for adding Elf Mode to MDF?
Yes, but far away. I have 5-6 large projects before I could even think about starting one. GUI, new Dwarf Mode, Insect Swarm, water Naga, MDF.40.x, Warlock update... and I only have 3 months in Germany till I leave for my next tour, a longer one. I can assure you that even if I were doing an Elf Mode, it would be sometime lateish 2015. IF I manage to cram a fundraiser and a full month of modding somewhere into it, a time where I work fulltime on modding. So... I would certainly welcome anyone writing a race for MDF. ^^

Smakemupagus actually showed interest in doing elf mode at some point, but he left DF for a while, and now doesnt have as much free time as required. He is the author of the Orcs, the first new playable race ever done. :) Maybe you two should have a little chat. :P

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »

And there must be a way to prevent certain creatures from becoming leaders of civilizations. I have to regenerate the world 3-4 times to get a single civ with its king being a creature of which the civ consists after worldgen. In my current world, there is 40 civilizations and only one of them is ruled by a proper king. The mentioned Flying Bowels. All others are ruled by giants, cyclopi, demons and minotaurs. All of them.

I think this would be hard to fix and still keep those entities in the game at all without some seriously creative new DFhack features  but, the good news is that you can turn most of them down/completely off in the GUI.  A world with none sounds sad, but certainly you wouldn't want the total of all the exotic entities to be more than the total of your caves, because otherwise they MUST go make a way for themselves in the world, right?

(edit: ninjaed but posting anyway to bring up the caves point, can anyone confirm?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7