Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Future of the Mod - What I will do next.  (Read 10747 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Future of the Mod - What I will do next.
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2014, 02:25:18 pm »

Turns out I am doing RL next. You probably noticed that I havent been as present as usual, I got things and stuff to do. ;) But Toady is still releasing bugfix updates, so I'd wait with MDF40.x anyway.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »

Aw, there goes the plan of fixing the outstanding issues before bringing more.

Anyway, RL always comes first, and it would make very little sense to start such project with very little free time.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »

Played a lot in the last days, here's my little insight.
Since one of your objectives is to make life easier for new players, in my opinion one thing absolutely needed (if It's doable of course) is make some order into the stockpiles (and then verify they work)
Not doing so not only brings utter chaos into the new player fortresses, but frustrates the little more hardcore players that would like to try to build up a proper indutry setup in their playthrough.
I know It's probably boring, but should be your n1 priority in my opinion because it's a pretty visible flaw in an otherwise quality work.

PS: I love your mod of course, don't get me wrong. I actually didn't even touch .40 yet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:03:06 pm by Gatallorsith »

Durian Hohlades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 07:08:22 am »

will the mod movin to 40 in future?
yo project is the best df mod of outstanding quality an content.

just interested and havent found a statement about that here

thx

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:32 pm »

thx

First post of the thread:

Now back to topic, here my thoughts for the next months.

• Massive additions to the GUI - individual options for each playable race, plenty of preset profiles, more options to bring the mod closer to vanilla, more options to remove mod content.
  • Bugfixes for all races, but no new features for a while.
  • A rebuild of dwarf mode from scratch. Wait what, why?
  • DF 40.x conversion

And of course the 40.x conversion. I am honestly a bit scared of it. The raws are fine, its a ton of work, but easy, repetetive work, no problem here. And most utilities seem to be updated by now, and I even have the string dump for my patched exe ready. But dfhack is causing me trouble, as do at least half of the tilesets, which are not updated for 40.x. I will probably need help with dfhack, especially considering that "force event" might not work anymore at all. Thats the script that calls migrants, caravans and sieges, losing this functionality will kill many mod features.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »

thx
I can barely read that. Have you ever heard of the shift key? Or spelling?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2014, 02:11:16 am »

Just wanted to post that my notion of a Golem has always been within the domain of fantastic sorcery. I mean in a d20 sense, it's the binding of an elemental spirit to a carefully prepared construct, with the more exotic creations requiring insane arcane powers on the part of the crafter. I just never saw Golems as dwarfy, primitive mechanical constructs with an utter lack of flexibility/agility sure though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:34 am »

In a lot of mythology, golems are created by holy magic.  In some stories, the golem is activated by inscribing a (Hebrew) rune on its head.  In others, it is activated by inserting paper with a rune on it into its mouth.

Of course, there are plenty of other stories to choose from as well, both ancient and modern.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:20 am »

The original golem concept was the idea at imitating the creation of humans by God according to the biblical account.  The reason they are not fully human is because humans can't create a proper soul.

There are some scholars who believe that in Norse mythology, the first humans were created imperfectly by dwarves before the gods added the missing aspects of their souls.

So... dwarves making golems kind of makes sense.

Although MW golems seem to be more like cyborg augmentation right now.  If they're being redesigned, it might be reasonable to make them using the construct-creature script like the gnomish machines; this would also allow golems made out of pretty much any material as well.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:43 am »

MDF golems are influenced by Dragon Age golems. Literally.

Otherwise dwarves with golems are a pretty usual fantasy concept. In RL it would be Rabbi Low and the Golem of Prague, I dont know about any Golems in the bible...

I'd rather have golems as dwarven cast, to allow them to take military orders or do labors.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2014, 03:53:07 pm »

If we are looking at Dragon Age style golems, then yes. Caste them up. Maybe take a similar path as Skeletons? Golems, base material being stone, with possible metal variants? May or may not be armor-able, or just limit it to golem specific armor?, but with massive size, strength and toughness inherent. No Breathe, No Exert, No Sleep, No Eat/Drink, you know... standard undead/innanimate benefits. Need a golem workshop to repair, like Skeletons.

Problem is, can you limit what castes can be generated as migrants/embark? I've occasionally gotten Ironbone or Dreadnaught skeletons in a starting set for Necros. Though they are a bit different, but a Candy golem from embark would be a bit much.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:30 am »

In RL it would be Rabbi Low and the Golem of Prague, I dont know about any Golems in the bible...
Yeah, I meant that the golem concept was based on imitating the biblical creation account (making man out of clay), not the biblical account of golems (there isn't one).

Anyway, if you use construct-creature, golems will not come in standard castes, they will use the same system as the gnomish machines, using a tool for their construction.  But you'll be able to make them out of anything you make the tool out of: metal, stone, wood, fruit, the bone of a particular animal, monkey poo... (be sure to update the script from the script collection for it to work with organic materials)

Kritickill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2014, 09:40:09 pm »

Otherwise dwarves with golems are a pretty usual fantasy concept. In RL it would be Rabbi Low and the Golem of Prague, I dont know about any Golems in the bible...

A golem is a creature from Jewish folklore. Maybe spread to Norse mythology or maybe had some relation to the term Homunculus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:55 am »

A golem is a creature from Jewish folklore. Maybe spread to Norse mythology or maybe had some relation to the term Homunculus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

Of course they aren't in th Bible, that's an earlier version  ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »

Admittedly I haven't delved too deeply into the mod's more intricate features like Guild Halls and such.  From what I have played however, Dwarves definitely seem to lack a real identity relative to other races.  Magic Missiles + Land Mines is hilarious, but not very Dwarfey.  Regarding the Dwarf rebuild, for sure keep the advanced ore processing and the like.  Maybe even force other races to use the less-than-efficient ore smelting by default, only reaching Dwarven efficiency after extensive research.  However, I think anything using black powder is better left to steam punk Dwarves.  As for the magic side, I would like to see it be more focused for them.  Perhaps limit Dwarves to Earth, Fire, and Blood; all sub-classes under the single role 'Priest Of Armok'.

Anyways, there is so much to explore with this mod, it's hard to stay on any single race, and I'm loving it :)

p.s. +1 for reducing the Workshop count
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7