Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preferences Questions + Science!  (Read 1599 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preferences Questions + Science!
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:53:04 pm »

I'm seeing preferences for:
"pig tail fiber fabric"
"cotton fiber fabric"
"flax plant fiber fabric"
"<plant> fiber fabric" in general

also:
"flowing fabric"
and some weird names like that with "cloth"

and also:
"alpaca wool"
"llama wool"
"<shear-able-animal> wool" in general

Is "fiber fabric" the same as "cloth"? my guess is, no, "fiber fabric" I think is what you get when you porcess the plant by threshing, then weave the fibers into thread and then you make cloth, the same way when you shear an animal and get "wool", then spin it into "yarn" and then make it into "cloth"....

The thing is (if I'm not mistaken) that I haven't been able to confirm my guess, so are there separate preferences for "<plant> fiber fabric" and "<plant> cloth" as well as "<animal> wool" and "<animal> cloth"??

Also what are those weird fabrics/cloths I'm seeing in the 40.xx versions? like "flowing" and such?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:07:10 am by Kaos »

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preferences Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:44:31 am »

I think there are basically three types of cloth material:
silk, made from (giant) cave spider silk
wool cloth, made from shearing some suitable animal (or troll)
fiber cloth, made from pig tail fibers
In terms of usage there are all equivalent, I think the only situation where it makes a difference is when you have a dwarf in a strange mood who wants to use a piece of cloth. Usually, he will take cloth of any of the three types but if he has a preference for a particular type of cloth, he wants something from the same base type. So if he likes yak wool cloth, any wool cloth will do.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:22:58 am »

Is "fiber fabric" the same as "cloth"?
Yes, it is exactly the same - the Thoughts and Preferences screen just formats it a bit differently so it doesn't look odd.

The thing is (if I'm not mistaken) that I haven't been able to confirm my guess, so are there separate preferences for "<plant> fiber fabric" and "<plant> cloth" as well as "<animal> wool" and "<animal> cloth"??
As above, there are not.

Also what are those weird fabrics/cloths I'm seeing in the 40.xx versions? like "flowing" and such?
Those are HFS-related materials, and they aren't supposed to be showing up. If you're seeing them in worlds generated in the latest version, you should probably contact a moderator and have them re-open bug #7098 (and note that it was a *cloth* material rather than a metal).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:17:50 am »

Is "fiber fabric" the same as "cloth"?
Yes, it is exactly the same - the Thoughts and Preferences screen just formats it a bit differently so it doesn't look odd.

As above, there are not.
so <plant fiber fabric> is the same as "cloth" but does "<animal> wool" refer to the actual "wool" you get from shearing or "yarn cloth"?
For instance a dwarf that likes "llama wool" would be happy working as a shearer or would produce higher quality items as a clothier when using "llama yarn cloth"?

Those are HFS-related materials, and they aren't supposed to be showing up. If you're seeing them in worlds generated in the latest version, you should probably contact a moderator and have them re-open bug #7098 (and note that it was a *cloth* material rather than a metal).
Actually in my current save started in 40.10, I have a dwarf that likes "flowing fabric"... where should I upload it? how?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:16 am »

For instance a dwarf that likes "llama wool" would be happy working as a shearer or would produce higher quality items as a clothier when using "llama yarn cloth"?
Those are also the same thing.

Actually in my current save started in 40.10, I have a dwarf that likes "flowing fabric"... where should I upload it? how?
I would suggest uploading a copy of your fortress to DFFD and sending a PM to Footkerchief.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »

All right I uploaded my save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9568

I'm PMing Footkerchief...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:43:26 pm by Kaos »

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 12:31:41 am »

All right! this is what I've been talking about:
Spoiler: "Preferences Screen" (click to show/hide)
In the last migrant wave I got a dwarf that likes both a type of "cloth" AND a type of "wool", so clearly cloth and wool are different categories of what a dwarf can have as a Preference, what I'm not sure is if "<creature> wool" and "<plant> fiber fabric" are in the same category (a dwarf can't have preferences for both a type of wool and a type of fabric?) or if "<plant> fiber fabric" is in the cloth category...

So there's indeed a preference for:
* a type of cloth, I'm yet to get a dwarf with a cloth preference that isn't one of the HFS cloths...
* a type of wool/fabric.... from my testing I'm sure that both wool and fabric can appear at the same time as the preference for a type of cloth, so these don't belong in the same group as cloth, what I don't know yet is if wool and fabric group together...

Put into perspective:
Creature->(Shear)->Creature Wool->(Spin)->Creature Wool Yarn->(Weave)->Creature Wool Cloth
Creature->(Butcher)->Creature Hair->(Spin)->Creature Hair thread

Plant->(contains)->Plant Fiber->(Thresh)->Plant Thread->(Weave)->Plant Cloth

Creature->(produces)->Web->(Collect)->Creature Silk thread->(Weave)->Creature Silk Cloth

Adamantine Spires->(dig)->Raw Adamantine->(Extract)->Adamantine Strands->(Weave)->Adamntine Cloth

So basically Wool, Hair, Plant Fiber, Webs, Raw Adamantine are all the base materials from which you can make thread...

So all those group into a preference for a type of "thread material"? and they also can have a preference for a type of cloth.... I see a problem with Adamantine since it can show up as the stone preference... has anyone seen Adamantine as something else than a stone preference?

What still rings a bell is that the preferences I've seen is for Plant Fiber FABRIC, I know it's not cloth because I've seen a type of plant fiber fabric AND a type of cloth as preferences at the same time... so what is "fabric" supposed to be? ???
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:06:53 am by Kaos »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 12:50:54 pm »

In the last migrant wave I got a dwarf that likes both a type of "cloth" AND a type of "wool", so clearly cloth and wool are different categories of what a dwarf can have as a Preference

Why can't a dwarf simply love two kinds of fabric?  Why read so much into this?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Preferences Questions + Science!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »

As far back as version 0.23, it has been possible for a dwarf to like one type of plant cloth and one type of silk cloth, though it was rather uncommon. Common sense dictates that this is still possible in the current version and can also include a type of wool.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 12:17:53 am »

As far back as version 0.23, it has been possible for a dwarf to like one type of plant cloth and one type of silk cloth, though it was rather uncommon. Common sense dictates that this is still possible in the current version and can also include a type of wool.
uhmmm.... so the "<plant> fiber fabric" is actually a type of plant cloth? and "<creature> wool" a type of wool yarn cloth?

I understand the "<HFS> cloth" I've been seeing (i.e. glowing cloth, never-still cloth, flowing cloth, etc) are bugs and shouldn't show up, so what are they overriding? "<silk> cloth"?

I've seen together:
* "<hfs> cloth" and "<plant> fiber fabric"
* "<hfs> cloth" and "<creature> wool"

I'm yet to see a preference for "silk".... how does it show? "<creature> silk cloth" or just "<creature> silk" like wool does?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:55 am »

I understand the "<HFS> cloth" I've been seeing (i.e. glowing cloth, never-still cloth, flowing cloth, etc) are bugs and shouldn't show up, so what are they overriding? "<silk> cloth"?
Probably metal (i.e., candy) cloth.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »