Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What future society shall we employ till eternity dictates otherwise?

Thought Control, 2+2 = Miriam Godwinson
- 18 (38.3%)
Cybernetic, robo-crusaders have arrived.
- 18 (38.3%)
Eudaimonia, welcome to pleasantville.
- 11 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Let's play SM Alpha Centauri - The Dark Decades  (Read 23317 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Let's play SM Alpha Centauri - Cheese eating surrender Drones
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 06:34:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Spartans came by marching in squads, platoons, brigades. Boils of mindworms slithered alongside highly mobile assault rovers, overwhelming the heavily taxed Morganite defences with ease. Miriam looked at the sensor information tracking the highly disciplined soldiers fighting their way across her dominion. Solar storms effectively shut down all communications, there was no way she could force Morgan and Santiago into peace. Government files reported that the Morganites had begun brainwashing all of their consumers with visions of wealth and discovery unbridled by notions of Godliness and taxation. They also reported that the Spartans were likewise implementing thought control with visions of autarky, breathing space and alarming notions of martial pride for past grievances. If the Morganites survived the solar flares, she would be having a stern word with the lecherous merchant and the blind honey badger. Her troops were on standby for action, yet with the battle for the Atlantic Sea still raging on she had more pressing matters to attend to.
Aerospace command, this is patrol Julia 4 Sierra reporting on anomalous storm clouds heading West from Atlantis to Pangea. They are not storm clouds, it's locusts - the University are sending loads of them.
I've seen this bug before, though I've never documented it. Occasionally I'll see the AI's designed a unit that has fungicidal tanks on it, fungicidal tanks are a former module that increase the rate of fungus removal. That's a foil armed with missiles with no terraforming capabilities. If I had a probeship I'd steal it just to see how it works, and if I could make my own for the fun of it.
The reports flooded in on the backs of couriers, Winehouse Communion had been attacked whilst the Eucharist was taking place. The sheer fury that commenced after this betrayal shook the very foundations of Pangea.
Winehouse Communion was not like the other bases, it was not particularly old, was built behind supposedly safe lines and had spent most of its life building infrastructure for the betterment of its citizens' lives. A single AAA Silksteel Garrison and SAM Ajax Rover unit defended it from attack. When the first bombs and shells fell on Winehouse Communion the hundreds working diligently in their backbone former units were the first to face the brunt of the Spartan assault; caught completely without air cover this betrayal slaughtered them in total. Before long the defences themselves were overrun by Spartan rovers which made complete mincemeat of the defenders who lacked comm-jammers. Morgan Industries held firm with acceptable casualties. The Spartans had signed their own death warrant.
All of the Believing air units were preoccupied with the Battle for the Atlantic Sea with the University, Ajax Rovers and Odysseus Hovertanks had to clear the skies of Spartan airpower or perish trying. The Believers mobilized everything for the war effort; Forlorn Hope shocktroopers engaged the Spartan spearhead with shard weapons and soporific gas pods, the SAM units set the sky ablaze with the falling wrecks of Spartan warplanes and the largest psi-fight took place as Believing shocktroopers, rovers and hovertanks hastily assaulted the entire Eastern Spartan army with nearly all of its spore launchers raining death from the fortifications of Morgan Solarfex. This is where the bulk of Believing and Spartan military casualties occurred.
Belinda Hovertanks got their debut alongside the other troops and units by leading the vanguard that pushed back the Spartan siege and annihilating the Spartan Fortresses Believing rovers once scouted more than a century ago in a younger world.
Not content with isolating the northern barracks Believing hovertanks, rovers and shocktroopers once more mobilized to clear the Spartan bases. Casualties were moderate, but certainly less than the previous battles.
Attack! Attack! Attack!
The Spartan Industrial heartlands was the toughest Fortress to crack as to be expected really, but was in the end just a matter of taking away Santiago's planes, mindworms and tearing into Laconian bases with shocktroopers.
Iota Sector was Sparta's last stand. Secluded off in the forests by itself it had avoided the full wrath of the Believer's war march until it was the last base standing.
Elite soldiers cleared the base of its last defenders in short time.
The Spartans were eradicated on the same turn they broke their pact.
Now the Lord's Dominion extends over nearly all of northern Pangea (with only the Morganites in the way, and even then they've lost more of their bases to me by virtue of me having liberated conquered morganite bases from the Spartans). The Merchant Exchange has been seized, though it's of little import and the Morganite military has been heavily hamstringed by crippling support costs (all of their units cost 2 minerals to support now, mass disbanding has taken place).

I also made this thing to commemorate the Mission's bloodiest year so far:
The Spartans no longer exist as a faction anymore. There are still angry Spartans threatening to riot and rebel, but I figure since there's a solar flair and I'm already down the road of thought control and planetary annihilation several thousand nerve stapled drones is really not a big deal anymore.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 06:39:47 pm »

Ooh, an Alpha Centiari LP.
Posting to watch.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ManiacMasterMind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:27 am »

Great work! Who Wants to play SMACX???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:21:21 am by ManiacMasterMind »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 03:29:23 pm »

Great work! Who Wants to play SMACX???
I'm always up for it!

Also, in unrelated news I've been working on a map of the world:
Not wanting to risk losing my progress over a crash or something I saved the map, completely forgetting about the bug or feature where the game checks for the volume of ocean and if it's not happy imitates God in the bible.
This has happened to every single map I've made where I've not compensated by making the rest of the oceans into a giant ocean trench, since I was also trying to make this map as accurate to Earth as possible. Still, I'll settle for making it land accurate at least. And I didn't like how India looked anyways, so I'll be able to improve on it second time round. I'm thinking that once the map is ready I can start running games between the factions as if they were in charge of their respective blocs, Deidre as Europe, Spartans as South America, Believers as the middle East/USA, University as Russia, Yang as China, Korea and Japan, Morgan as Africa and Lal as Australasia and India.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

It's finished! And it actually looks like Planet Earth to boot. There area  few things that need tweaking to be sure, I've finally got round to making rivers work and might see if I can get accurate rivers on the map at least. Still, phenomenal progress has been made:
Got the world's major cities and towns down in proximate fashion for a suitable world diplomacy. I may consider adding antarctic research bases but the vanity goal has been achieved: The world is more or less complete.
It's also interesting to see how the factions all fare:
The Morganites usually tend to become wealthy as Morganites are want to do and appropriately become unsurpassed hegemons... Though ineffectual ones at that, as they do not tend to sport a military or navy capable of facing the other warlike factions. Though in truth, this does not matter until aircraft come into play.
The Hive tend to not get along with their neighbours well, here they are fighting a war with the University that's gone on for a decade. They've blockaded Japan whilst the war between North and South Korea balances on the edge of plasma steel; perhaps to hold on or falter long enough for Hive or University reinforcements to decisively crush opposing resistance.
The Believers, like the Hive, do not get along well with their neighbours. I've seen them take over the world from the Middle east, but usually they simply anger opponents who can bring superior forces to bear and get picked apart piecemeal, exacting a bloody price on invaders.
The Peacekeepers go to war rarely, mainly with the Hive or Believers when it does. Most of the time though they're just content with keeping the peace and building their metropolitan cities.
The Spartans tend to be rather peaceful and cordial with their neighbours up until they sense any weakness; here they are invading North America after the fall of Texas right after their successful invasion of Cayenne; the Spartans were allies with the Believers up until the Believers had moved the bulk of their forces against the University in the East.
Not all bases however, are as easily won. Fresh from their defeat in Cayenne the Gaians are holding onto the Atlantic for dear life as University, Spartan, Hive, Believing and Peacekeeper navies all battle for supremacy around the Americas.
This one game I found Europe entirely undefended, it puzzled me. It seems that with the Morganites being pacifistic and the University often busy with wars in the East, the Gaians simply forgo militaries altogether.
And with that interlude out of the way, we can get right back to Pangea.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »

-snip-
That's all some interesting stuff. I always did like the way that in AC you do get a sense of other nations' problems being a real thing. It might just be the characterisation of the factions that make it more noticeable, but in the Civ games it took until a lot later in the game to really care about anything much past my borders.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »

-snip-
That's all some interesting stuff. I always did like the way that in AC you do get a sense of other nations' problems being a real thing. It might just be the characterisation of the factions that make it more noticeable, but in the Civ games it took until a lot later in the game to really care about anything much past my borders.

IMO, its a matter of scope.  Civ games start at the city level and grow into the world level.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

-snip-
IMO, its a matter of scope.  Civ games start at the city level and grow into the world level.
Probably a mix of both really.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 01:45:57 pm »

Updates shall resume; I have not been dead, merely my internet was in a state of sheer collapse for the past month.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 04:51:06 pm »

Well, atleast you arent dead.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 06:01:53 pm »

Hooray, LW isn't kill.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 05:24:38 pm »

Well welcome back LW, and I look forward to continued updates on the war against the Uni and their unethical and evil research.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »

Things have certainly changed.
From 2232 to 2252 a solar flare hit Planet and ended all communications for two dreaded decades. Those decades saw the deaths of at least 1,549,000 people, the true start of the Atlantic Cold War, the eradication of two factions, the start of the Atlantean Civil War and the appearance of Planet's first wild mindworm boil and its first fungal towers. Collectively, these years would be known as the dark decades. Through these years of chaos and death the University and Believers emerged once more further above the other factions as rivals, even as the Pangean common market began to collapse and commerce began to cease.

Mission year 2239, the Lord's Believers test fire a medicine missile on an isolated island off the coast of Easterbase Ruins, birthing Planet's first ever fungal tower. Named red willow, the great alien construct is observed from afar by pilots brave enough to endure the psi attacks and deadly atmosphere. A research exclusion zone is designated and patrols regularly sent to ward tourists and delinquents away from the mysterious and enigmatic tower the government deems too dangerous for the common public to have access of it.
Only the advent of the Red Famine and the Second Great Famine took the public's mind off of Red Willow's island.

Pictured: Famine strikes the University just as hard as the Believers. Also pictured, the last needlejet squadron of the Free Drone's airforce on its last sortie before being shot down by the University air force.
Pictured: Famine strikes the Believers just as hard as the University, but the cloning vats allows for quick repopulation of emptied bases.
The Believing population of ocean level lowering causes much less moisture to be accessible in the atmosphere, making many formerly fertile lands become arid wastelands unfit for agricultural development. Coupled with the University unleashing an awful plague of red xenofungus upon the entire world, mass starvation is rife.

The Morganite lands were modest, avaricious hubs of wretched ambition. Long since had they been eroded again and again by Believing colonies and various invading factions until only their northern HQs and their southern Hive prizes remained.

Fresh from their victory against the Spartans the Morganites decided to steal from the Believing datalinks the files on quantum power.

I immediately canceled our pact and freshly awaited the reopening of diplomatic channels once the solar flare ended so the Righteous Believers and scoundrel Morganites could once more trade openly.

Everything changed when the Morganites attacked.

Retaliation was swift.

The Morganite army was expensive and wasteful, used more to police fat drones and hit them with stunjacks than to present a real threat. The Believers, whose armies were tools of right education and defence, swept the Morganite resistance off of Pangea.

Seized documents revealed the Morganites were intending to stockpile their own Planet Busters for unknown reasons.
History will remember the mogul who tried to tear down Pangea - and failed!

Proper education will remember his pain, and see it translated into such loyal reminders of how one can fall from service to the Lord to the service of the body.

The Believers spotted their first ever wild mindworm boil that spawned naturally from xenofungus and not from some Medicine Missile. The Believing former teams had become complacent in their placement of sensor towers and observation grids; by not surveying all the land under their watchful gaze the Lord's Believers had allowed the wildlife to propagate unhindered by extermination teams, endangering the base inhabitants.

The battle of the Atlantic Sea extends to Western Pangea as University locust boils and IODs drop wave after wave of soldiers on the shores and overwhelm Believing air defences on the West with numbers alone. Thanks to the Atlantean Civil War however, the University fail to secure a permanent foothold with the Free Drones hampering their domestic affairs at every turn.

Eastern air defences maintain maximum strength.
Even if IODs somehow manage to slip through every now and then.

The Lord's Believers consolidate all of Northern and Central Pangea into the Believing fold, leaving only the Peacekeepers and the Hive with their tense border relations to the south and the Atlantean factions embroiled in bitter conflict in the East.

Spoiler: fukhueg image (click to show/hide)
The complete total collection of all population changes in the world, from the start to the end. A red year is one in which the population decreased due to deaths outweighing population growth, a green year is one in which deaths and growths are in equilibrium and a light blue indicates growth. It is interesting to note that the moment the Believers gained political superiority it contended and eventually gained economical superiority and with both it became the global overall power.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play SM Alpha Centauri - The Dark Decades
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2014, 05:45:46 pm »

Awesome.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play SM Alpha Centauri - The Dark Decades
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »

Ah another case of suicidal ai. Gotta love how they sneak attacked you while they had a totally empty base in full view. Granted even if it was defended, it wouldn't have mattered. Anyways, just got to bring the hive and the keepers into the fold to finally present an united pangeae. Awaiting the next update.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5