Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entitlement system - a less intrusive dwarven economy  (Read 1214 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entitlement system - a less intrusive dwarven economy
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:01 am »

Admittedly, I didn't see dwarven economy in action, but I heard it didn't work. I would like to sketch a system that I think would add more fun and realism to the game without need to overhaul mechanics.

What if we give each dwarf an entitlement counter? Every job he performs adds some to it, based on his or hers personality, and contribution. Meanwhile, we decide a percentage of finished goods that will be marked for handouts, as well as allowed to mark them for handout manually, the same way we mark them for dumping. Too meet his entitlement dwarves would claim trinkets as their property, wearing or storing it. Rooms, food and clothes should also probably count toward this. If dwarf doesn't get enough, he would get upset and maybe go on strike.

This way we wouldn't have much additional troubles with interface while finding a way to utilize finished goods that average fortress probably produces massively.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Entitlement system - a less intrusive dwarven economy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:22 am »

The way the economy worked before wasn't bad - the issue was mostly about storage.

Dwarves would accumulate a hidden 'value owed' counter based primarily on their current tasks. Hauling would pay out the least, while high-value work, being a noble, being a soldier etc. would accumulate more. If there was no coinage in the fort they would basically be 'owed' it in the form of items. You could build merchant stalls, which would carry superfluous goods automatically from in your fortress; a dwarf would claim the shop as an owner and would sell items based on this invisible currency. A dwarf would browse the shops, find something he likes, and either give coins (if there were any) or simply haul the item off.

The issue with storage though - there simply wasn't enough room for dwarves to put all their items, leaving to massive piles of scattered belongings all over the fort that couldn't be moved, cleaned up, or destroyed (they also would rarely, if ever, use cabinets or chests). If you had coins, they would take individual coins from the stack and just leave them strewn all over the floor, sometimes in the hundreds.

In the raws you'll see some vestiges of this- the 'zero rent' toggle was for the economy, as dwarves would have to pay rent based on the value of their bedroom, and would get evicted if they couldn't afford it (leading to slum housing and even vagrants who slept on the floor if you had lots of unemployed and no cheap hovels).

Personally I really liked the economy as it was.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »

I too would like to see the economy come back - perhaps many of the storage issues could be solved by deleting a coin once a dwarf had claimed it (turning it into value attatched to that dwarf) and isn't spawned again unless a transaction is taking place or that dwarf dies? That way for all intents and purposes that dwarf has that coin, but the coin doesn't cause problems with hauling.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:50 am »

I think any system that prevents dwarves from claiming a bedroom will be inherently broken. I think the economy will only be useful for automated trading with fortress visitors.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:51 am »

It's not a real economy if it isn't dynamic. Everything other than hauling issues is a symptom of that. Like not claiming bedrooms -- in real life, the room rates would just dynamically be adjusted so that everybody has a room if enough exist. Even if the least good room is still "too fancy" for a hauler, the fort is still better off by getting 1/2 the ideal rent versus getting zero % of the rent for that room. If when somebody comes along that earns more and there's a room shortage, they can boot out the hauler if they can afford 2/3 the asking price. But as long as you have enough rooms, everyone should claim one.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:31:11 pm »

It's not a real economy if it isn't dynamic. Everything other than hauling issues is a symptom of that. Like not claiming bedrooms -- in real life, the room rates would just dynamically be adjusted so that everybody has a room if enough exist. Even if the least good room is still "too fancy" for a hauler, the fort is still better off by getting 1/2 the ideal rent versus getting zero % of the rent for that room. If when somebody comes along that earns more and there's a room shortage, they can boot out the hauler if they can afford 2/3 the asking price. But as long as you have enough rooms, everyone should claim one.

That's only true if the marginal cost to rent out a room is zero and it is costless to boot someone out.  Neither applies in the real world (insurance and landlord-tenant court are each very costly), but could in a videogame.

As it stands now, a fortress is run like a commonwealth, and there is historical precedent for running a colony like that.  But once you start charging people for necessities you have slid out of the commonwealth and into a market economy.  I would prefer a system that starts an outpost as a commonwealth and transitions into a market.  The Dwarves get paid from the start, but are only charged for luxuries at first.  Eventually the scale slides down to where Dwarves are being paid and paying for everything other than assigned uniforms.  Beyond that, you might even start changing them taxes for the privilege of being in your fortress.

Such a system would be far more dynamic if prices adjusted for supply and demand as well as giving individuals/families the freedom to migrate in or out of the fortress.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:48:23 am »

Prices fluctuating with supply and demand can also provide the price signals needed for autonomous workshop operation by craftsmen who begin making finished goods on demand, rather than on the player's orders. Hands-off domestic clothing industry anyone?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:26:00 pm »

For dynamic rate ideas:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rooms, food and clothes should also probably count toward this. If dwarf doesn't get enough, he would get upset and maybe go on strike.
I find this idea interesting but it seems like going on strike would be a death sentence. It would lessen the entitlement they'd potentially get from working thus dragging them further into hunger/thirst if they lack food. They'll then spend all their time scrounging vermin until going bananas.
Need a way to manually boost entitlement or every fort will be one step away from starvation with plenty of food.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;