Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decrease the rate of fey moods  (Read 708 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Decrease the rate of fey moods
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »

I've modded dwarves to turn adult at 6, and limited child population to 10.
Even with that, 90% of my fey moods go to children, getting another worthless craftsdwarf mood. The game does simply not offer me enough time in between moods for children to grow up, and be prepared for a desired mood, and even if I do get a dwarf prepped, the game will still pick a child over it most of the time. Starting to be pretty darn annoying.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decrease the rate of fey moods
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

I agree, why would kids get moods anyway? Maybe moods should only happen if someone is at a certain level in a skill, that would make more sense.

However, I expect crafts will have a use at some point. You'll maybe be able to assign goblets and rings to nobles or put them on statues, play those stupid instruments and so on. That would make it less annoying

Moods will also probably change when religion is better figured out. If you pray to some god of metalurgy, it'd make more sense for him to give you an artifact than some other

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »

1 solution for the kids until it's fixed that the kids can't mood is Dwarf Therapist has an option to allow kids labors to be messed with.

As for the useless craft artifacts. There does exist a Display Case mod. I use this one I found in Masterwork. Can't remember if it needs a fresh world though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »

Well, if you want to 'control' moods (like I often do), you already have a very powerful tool, that doesn't even require a 3rd-party program: Savescumming. Some players may regard moods as being handed down directly from Armok, and so attempting to direct or manipulate them would be little short of blasphemy . . . other players may feel that milking the situation for its maximum possible benefit is precisely what a dwarf should do, and accordingly build forts full of Legendary Farmer/Dabbling Weaponsmiths. I think that savescumming, while admittedly completely unrealistic (Kadol the Fish Cleaner has been possessed! Oh no, wait, that didn't happen. Bembul the Mason has been struck by a fey mood!), do make for a nice "middle ground" on the roleplaying/powergaming continuum, because it forces you to choose between the utility of dropping your child's mood for the chance of having it strike your Armorer, and the ease of not having to replay those last 4 months all over again.

I agree that moods shouldn't happen quite so often . . . I think I'd cap them at a maximum of 1 per year, and/or depend on a dwarf already being emotionally unstable. It would also be worth considering to have the moods prompted (or at least influenced) by specific gods, or even demons. But as for outright preventing children from having moods, I don't think I agree with that. If anything, kids are less stable than adults, and should be proportionally susceptible. If/when "child" labor is reworked, so that individual jobs have different (and therefore generally lower) minimum ages, that should be enough to mitigate the "Oh great, the 9-year-old's gone secretive. Get ready for another native platinum scepter" problem.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.