Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Waterdance "This time for sure" led by Zabig Guy  (Read 1427 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Waterdance "This time for sure" led by Zabig Guy
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:58:27 am »

SPRING (Season 1)

copper battle axe x 2
copper picks x 2
pig tail seeds x 25
pig tail fiber thread x 10
blueberries x 228

cat (male) x 1
cat (female) x 1
ram x 1
ewe x 2

Proficient grower x 2
Proficient Diagnostician
Adequate Wound Dresser
Adequate Surgeon
Adequate Bone Doctor
Adequate Suturer
Proficient Appraiser
Proficient Organizer
Proficient Record Keeper
Proficient Clothier
Proficient Miner

Trying my hand with shearing this time.

My new home. In a first for this series, it has a natural 6 z-level waterfall and is in a cooler climate than usual.

I strike lucky this embark - the wagon is inside the fortress. That will save a lot of time usually wasted on hauling the stuff inside.

By the time Spring ends I'm just about to shut the fortress to the outside world.

I have water access, sort of, and have just dampened the first room for underground farming.

I have good stocks of blueberries, blueberry seeds and blueberry wine. Basically, my dwarves will be turning blue. What I don't have is pasture for my sheep.
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Waterdance "This time for sure" led by Zabig Guy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:23:35 am »

SUMMER (Season 2)

Right at the beginning of summer, before the hole is filled in the fortress wall, a vile force

of darkness arrives. I panic and turn everybody's tasks off, except for masonry.

SAFE! That was too close.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:02:39 am »

Go you!  Glad the day was saved.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:34 am »

AUTUMN (Season 3)

Autumn snuck in when I wasn't looking. I've been busy.

My sheep have (barely) enough grazing, and have had adorable little lambs.

Between them and the pig tail farm I have quite a supply of cloth.  Farming is still a pain in the butt, though. Along the way I have picked up some gold and lignite. I need to get some proper rooms up now. I'll also be trying to organize my blueberry farm a bit better and make it a decent size.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:17 am »

WINTER (Season 3)

Not much happening. Except there is a giant olm lurking below.

It's safely blocked away, but I'd rather get revenge on it for all the dwarves who have fallen to giant olms before.

I place a crap load of cage traps on the route up to the fortress and carefully unblock the route down... nothing happens. Obviously it isn't very hungry.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:30 am »

SPRING (Season 5)

Just found the last dwarven liaison to visit ... dehydrated to death. Oops. Well, he should have said if he wanted a drink!

There is a great dwarven highway under my fortress, leaving my territory in two directions.  I put up drawbridges to block both entrances and hang a sign saying "NO SOLICITING". Apparently that is an ancient ritual writing to keep elves carrying flower pots out.

Disaster strikes!

Code: [Select]
Kadol Akmamber, Stray Cat (Tame) has adopted Bomrek Akgosducim, Ranger.
Bomrek has succumbed to Cutie-Wootie-Syndrome. For the sake of the fortress all other cats must be isolated from him lest his condition worsen.

Finally, I begin to completely wall off the underground highway from the cavern on either side of it.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:36:52 am »

SUMMER (Season 6)

The cage traps caught 4 troglodytes while I was still walling off the highway. Not sure what to do with them, maybe I'll build a room for some marksdwarves to use for target practice.

A giant bat attacks! Only one dwarf seems to be wounded, but I decide to get that hospital area up and running.  Shortly afterwards the first dwarf baby of the fortress is born.

The dehydrated dwarven liaison came back to haunt the fortress. I should have guessed he'd be the sort of dwarf to hold a grudge.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:51 am »

AUTUMN (Season 6)

The fortresses ghostly visitor is put to rest.

A giant cave spider attacks one of my miners, viciously wounding him but the dwarf managed to kill it. I put my two doctor hopefuls on notice that they are needed ... but neither seems to want to actually help. The hospital bed remains unused.

WINTER (Season 7)

I continue to block off the highway from the cavern. I have to go up a lot of z-levels to stop giants bats and other flyers from getting in.

My wounded, and abandoned, miner is found dead. [So much for Obama Care/typical NHS/if only he could have afforded health insurance] <- delete to taste.

The Forgotten Beast Spun has come! A huge blob composed of steam. It has two stubby tails and it has a bloated body.
Building canceled on account of forgotten beast. I evacuate everyone and block off the stairwell just in time - it looks like this one is a tracker. Steam doesn't seem as if it would be that tough, though. Maybe I should wait and see if it picks a fight with a troglodyte and loses.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 07:48:13 am »

SPRING (Season 5)

Not much happening, I start work on a temporary exit for the underground water course. Later

it will be more interesting with lots of waterfalls.

A ghostly visitor reminds me that I haven't placed the memorial slab for my deceased miner. I

check to see if it is already engraved, and my psychic link tells me that the Forgotten Beast

Spun is dead. Huh. I guess I can open up the cavern again.

I decide not to grace Spun with a memorial slab at this time.

The elves ambush! Despite the fact that I've barely cut down three trees above ground since I started. I am not overly concerned at this development.

My dwarves are getting three small rooms each. Still a work in progress.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 09:31:21 am »

Ptw
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:56 am »

SUMMER (Season 6)

A giant bat flies over the still incomplete walls around the highway. Minor injuries to one dwarf only ... I think.

Little baby Dishmab grew up to be a fine dwarven child.

I've arranged for water to dump fertile mud on the two remaining rooms I set aside for underground farms. Some dwarves complained that it wasn't time for their annual bath, but I held firm.

I still haven't secured the underground highway by the end of Summer. That cavern has way too many z-levels. :P

AUTUMN (Season 7)

The ground level of my fortress has reached the 'messy' stage of its evolution.

I promise myself, and the dwarves, that I'll organize stuff one day.

I have discovered that there are mysterious zones that divide the ground level of my fortress.  Sand in one place will grow grass, sand one step to the right will not grow grass. My planters tell me it is futile to try to farm in the 'non grass' growing zone. I decide this is one of those mysteries that dwarf is not meant to know and dismiss it from my mind.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:11 am »

WINTER (Season 8 )

One of my dwarves has been found dead. They didn't bother to tell me where, or what did him in.

I hold a brief ceremony before opening the floodgates to let the water flow through properly for the first time.

Nothing much happens - it's winter outside and everything above ground is frozen.

Everybody has at least three meagre rooms. I promise them better things will follow. I slaughter a few sheep before they eat every last bit of grass.

I run out of barrels, and trees. I may need to authorize an excursion into the cavern for some tree chopping soon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:55:46 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

SPRING (Season 9)

Five more troglodytes try to sneak into the fortress and are caught in cages.

I get some fungi wood and nobody dies ... (*does a quick recount of the dwarves*). Yup, nobody died.

SUMMER (Season 10)

I have a well / meeting room! About time. ;)

AUTUMN (Season 11)

WINTER (Season 12)

Yeah ... I've just been leaving those little blighters to do stuff while I read webcomics.

SPRING (Season 13)

I have elves AND goblins sieging at the same time! Pass the popcorn.

A giant olm appears just as I was about to finish walling off the cavern. I cancel all jobs in the area and watch carefully. It seems quite timid, so I place cage traps in likely places.  I end up catching it, but one of my dwarves gets killed in the process. Not as timid as it looks.

My sheep and cat numbers are getting a bit high so fresh meat for everyone!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »

SUMMER (Season 14)
Cave crocodile turns up and interrupts walling off the cavern. I hope there are some cage traps left active - most got wasted when a bunch of naked mole dogs ran into them.

Things ... did not go well. Did you know that dwarves will go to try to pickup equipment even if it is forbidden? Even if there is a cave crocodile in the way? Well, it seems they will.

I gave up for now, and walled off the highway. If we get a dwarf adventurer trying to visit us that way, he'll just have to sod off.

I got this close to finishing walling off the highway from the cavern. The dotted red lines show the bits of wall still to finish. Over which walked one Giant Olm, one Cave Crocodile and about a dozen naked mole dogs. :(

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 03:02:22 am »

AUTUMN (Season 15)
My dwarves are looking a bit raggedy around the edges. Time for some good old fashioned clothesmaking. I build a second clothes workshop and get going.

The Forgotten Beast Esnust Dazguslo has come! A gigantic scaly assassin bug. It has a long, curving horn and it has a bloated body.
Its eyes glow spring green. Its lilac scales are round and overlapping. Beware its poisonous bite!

My dwarven clairvoyance skills tell me it is not in an area where it will be able to reach the highway or the fortress. While I'm considering this, I look for the cave crocodile ... and fail to find it. Has it just wandered away? I decide not to reopen the wall and look for trouble.

I put up a memorial slab to Spun after all.

Mid-autumn and HOLY CRAP some migrants! They must not have been listening to the rumors. Two of them turn up, and (with some difficulty) I manage to get them both inside the fortress. I assign them three rooms each from those that 'have become available' recently.

Oh, and guess who also turned up? Another dwarven liaison. I tell him it's nice that he came to visit, but I'm not knocking down a wall just so he can leave.

... I'll prepare a blank stone slab for later. *sinister*

Rakust is walking around with no shoes or socks on! How shameful! I point out that there are a fine pair of *pig tail fiber shoe* on the stockpile, but he doesn't seem interested. If his trousers fall off as well I may have to take drastic action.
Pages: [1] 2