Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long play worlds (successive fortresses) in 43.05?  (Read 720 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long play worlds (successive fortresses) in 43.05?
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:32:51 am »

What are the current limits of playing one fort for 20-50 years, retiring it, then playing another fort for 20-50 years, etc.?

What sort of things break over long periods of "background history"?  What stops working when you try to create and play multiple forts over a few hundred years in 43.05?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long play worlds (successive fortresses) in 43.05?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:00 pm »

If you're going to go back and forth between fortresses then there are some unretire issues to deal with.

The 'big' issues include the sudden influx of thousands of visitors from surrounding sites (including folk who really shouldn't be there like the Captain of the Guard from your neighbour's fortress) plus the conversion of merchants into citizens who can't do anything (that's all on the bug tracker).

There's a certain amount of scattering, but nothing too serious. You'll also find certain chests, chairs and other shall 'buildings' have come unbuilt. I put that down to lazy dorfs messing about.

More seriously are random repositioning of beasts. Especially those demons who you thought were safely locked away.

Then some kind of bug with the magma sea being weird and also the ocean flooding through walls.

Other than that the actual process of retire-start new fortress works just fine.

Although, new fortresses have an annoying habit of attracting loads of migrants from your old fortresses with no regard to the running of the old one. That's sort of interesting as a game but daft as a simulation (and lethal for the old fortress when the massive worldgen sized gobbo armies strike). Have to wait for Scenarios update to see that dealt with properly, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:32:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »

That makes sense with regards to the attempting to reclaim.  I don't really plan on doing that.  When I retire a fort it will be because I've hit 150-200 dwarves or done what I felt like doing in that fortress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »

Then there's not to much to worry about.
The actual continuation of history works just fine. You might not want to play in a pocket world though, beasts will soon be all wiped out. Enjoy yourself!

Adventurers are fun too if you want a break between fortresses, and no retire/unretire issues.

Oh, don't forget you won't start in Spring each time, so pack accordingly.

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:25:07 am »

I've been having crashing problems so long-running worlds haven't worked out great. But what's the state of affairs with caravans? Do you ever get caravans from your old fortresses? Will the merchants and guards be dwarves you recognize? Will the caravan carry some of those masterful dyed clothes your old fortress was making so many of? Will things be decorated with green glass like everything in the old fortress was? What about metals the civilization didn't previously have access to but that the new fortress found? Or will the caravans just contain the usual assortment of dwarven items?