Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bring back 2d road requirement for wagons  (Read 1445 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Bring back 2d road requirement for wagons
« on: August 30, 2014, 03:15:11 pm »

Hiya,

Eons ago in the 2D days, caravans wouldn't bring wagons until the fort had a road (typically dirt at the beginning, at least in my forts).  Now, caravans can magically zoom across anything smoother than a boulder more quickly than their accompanying pack animals (which is exactly opposite what you would expect).  So I'd like to see the road requirement return, with a warning message from at least the first caravan (typically dwarves) similar to the one that existed in 2D.

The other major trader-associated issue (not a bug, but noticeable) is the FPS drop whenever traders are on the map, presumably due to their path-finding.  I'd like to suggest a dual-purpose for the roads to address that issue as well.  Once a road is built, it becomes a permanent, pre-determined path, so that the game only needs to calculate distances away from the road.  Caravans will be forced to use the road, resulting in 0 path-finding lag from them, since their path was pre-determined and only gets re-calculated if roads are changed/added/removed.  This would also help with some of the pathfinding in dwarf mode, since roads could be used to designate high-traffic permanent paths within the fort so the dwarves don't have to recalculate their paths as often.  (E.g. calculate a path to the nearest "road-merge" for item & dwarf, and then use the pre-calculated path on the road between the two merge points.)

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:06:31 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring back 2d road requirement for wagons
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:47:06 pm »

Wagons are quite capable of moving over non-roads. See: oregon trail (the actual one, as well as the game I guess). It's not like they had a paved superhighway going from Missouri to Oregon.

But yes they should definitely be slower than pack animals. Hopefully that is just a simple parameter change (I thought he said he fixed that recently, though?)

Also, I suspect that the FPS drop is from the merchants milling around as individual creatures (which it would look weird if you got rid of) and all the additional items, not so much the wagon pathing.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:53:10 am »

What if I want to use smooth block floors instead of "roads"? Would they count even though they are technically not the same as the "roads" one can construct?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:24:08 am »

bluephoenix,

I don't think smoothed block floors should generated the same automatically-saved paths, given that we can put them anywhere.  If a player were to floor over an entire fortress (or even just the soil/cavern layers), that would generate a LOT of "paths" that the game would still have to sort through and would cause the same amount of pathing lag as now.

Maybe an addition could be "signposts" that would use the same system as roads, but that players could place at convenient locations or intersections.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:06 pm »

would cause the same amount of pathing lag as now.
i.e. almost zero. Once every couple of seasons, like 5 guys have to path for a day or two... so what? You haven't established that the problem trying to be solved here actually IS a problem.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:46:58 pm »

I oppose this for a few reasons:

1) While it might make some sense for caravans to prefer traveling by road, it's doesn't make sense for that road to only start a couple hundred feet from your fortress. If there has to be a road, it'd have to go all the way to the nearby towns, and there isn't a way to do that.
2) If caravan path-finding is a problem, the solution should be one that can be adapted to work with multi-tile creatures, not to further special-case caravans.
3) There are enough early game challenges without adding a requirement to build roads the first year. Especially if that road extends out of your embark zone.
4) Caravan path-finding doesn't actually seem like a problem in my experience.

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:18 am »

It would be nice if roads were used if you made them, but I don't think they should be required. The FPS drop from caravan pathfinding is incredibly noticeable, especially in heavily forested areas. The FPS drop I experienced in a recent fort that was in a heavily forested area usually brought me down from about 40fps to 10 until they all got to the depot. My current fort only has a few scattered trees, and I usually still drop by about 10 to 15 fps until the hit the depot - better but still annoying. So a 3 wide paved road from depot to edge of map always being used by merchants if it's available would be really nice for those of us on low-end machines.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:35:12 am »

It would be nice if roads were used if you made them, but I don't think they should be required. The FPS drop from caravan pathfinding is incredibly noticeable, especially in heavily forested areas. The FPS drop I experienced in a recent fort that was in a heavily forested area usually brought me down from about 40fps to 10 until they all got to the depot. My current fort only has a few scattered trees, and I usually still drop by about 10 to 15 fps until the hit the depot - better but still annoying. So a 3 wide paved road from depot to edge of map always being used by merchants if it's available would be really nice for those of us on low-end machines.

Wouldn't setting the road tiles for high traffic draw in the pathing algorithm like a magnet?  Once on the road, pathing should get simple and any remaining FPS loss is due to tracking a wagon-load of items.

Of course, if your road leads off to the west, it's likely that the RNG gods will cause all caravans to enter from the north or south.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

Wouldn't setting the road tiles for high traffic draw in the pathing algorithm like a magnet?  Once on the road, pathing should get simple and any remaining FPS loss is due to tracking a wagon-load of items.
Non-player units would need to actually respect traffic settings for that to work.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »

Non-player units would need to actually respect traffic settings for that to work.

Okay, new suggestion...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map