It affects FPS too much
- 3 (6.1%)
It doesn't have full support for Adventure Mode
- 5 (10.2%)
I don't need these features
- 7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A note on the Text Will Be Text plugin  (Read 6463 times)

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A note on the Text Will Be Text plugin
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:52 am »

maybe a little bit offtopic, but what bothers me is the fact that this plugin seems to offer a set of features which are unrelated. imho it would be a good idea to split up this plugin. one plugin = one feature/one responsibility.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:44:09 am »

maybe a little bit offtopic, but what bothers me is the fact that this plugin seems to offer a set of features which are unrelated. imho it would be a good idea to split up this plugin. one plugin = one feature/one responsibility.
I second that, or adding the ability to enable/disable single features. Gives players more choice.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:21 am »

TWBT is neat but I probably wont use it much. I've been enjoying playing in TEXT mode and created a ttf this weekend for playing DF in the terminal.

I'm interested in your other project Web Fortress. Do you have plans to continue developing it?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »

I second that, or adding the ability to enable/disable single features. Gives players more choice.

All the features are interconnected inside the plugin, it's all about single class/object - "renderer". It's not possible to implement them in separate plugins.

What features you want be able to disable? I mean, text font will be "enabled" only if it's configured in init.txt, the same for overrides, for multilevel rendering there are commands to enable and configure. I can add a command for example to disable overrides even if they're configured, if that's what you want.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:28 pm »

All the features are interconnected inside the plugin, it's all about single class/object - "renderer". It's not possible to implement them in separate plugins.

What features you want be able to disable? I mean, text font will be "enabled" only if it's configured in init.txt, the same for overrides, for multilevel rendering there are commands to enable and configure. I can add a command for example to disable overrides even if they're configured, if that's what you want.
I think the majority of it is coming from the shock of nextgen "suddenly" being the default in PE's Starter Pack and the natural "this isn't the Dwarf Fortress *I* play!" reaction. My biggest recommendation is that while the OP information is good, it's not structured in a way to introduce and sell TwbT to people who are new to it. Not sure how to explain it better but you've essentially pointed out the features that are there, not introduced them.

I'd take some time to overhaul that. Instead of giving a numbered list of key features, treat them like separate plugins (although I understand the underlying framework reasons for not doing this in practice) and give each a header with a summary of what it brings to the table and how to enable/configure/disable.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »

I'd take some time to overhaul that. Instead of giving a numbered list of key features, treat them like separate plugins (although I understand the underlying framework reasons for not doing this in practice) and give each a header with a summary of what it brings to the table and how to enable/configure/disable.

Thanks, I'll consider doing that. Preparing such presentations is always the least pleasant part of the development process for me...

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 07:53:46 pm »

Although my info on the subject is pretty shallow, I'm pretty sure this is the overall future for DF texture packs :> I used to play pure ascii but after the texture pack explosion I've never looked back.. This is the final step so that tiles mode will actually offer more info than ascii can alone, which is great :)

Additionally, I'm running an old laptop and haven't noticed any real fps hits due to the nice foggy extra z-lvl visibility.. (2.20ghz Core 2 Duo, Intel integrated 2007 graphics card, 4gb ram..), though due to new versions coming out I haven't went up into 100+ dwarves + 50+ animal fort action yet..

And as far as "being sold" on this, Meph's embrace alone is enough to get me on board :> I've been mildly irritated by the work-arounds and substitutes tileset makers (and users) have had to deal with all this time, and TWBT cures that and beyond :) Its the extended graphics support DF has been in dire need of for a long time now, and I'm not quite embracing it so much as I'm hugging it uncomfortably hard and causing it breathing difficulty, like a parent I haven't seen for 15 years :>

Its also great that Sir Mifki cares so much about its success, too! :) Its an accomplishment to be proud of, and thanks for the hard work :D

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »

Thanks, I'll consider doing that. Preparing such presentations is always the least pleasant part of the development process for me...
I definitely am with you on that. Anything I can do to help though, let me know.
Pages: 1 [2]