Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last of the Dwarves  (Read 872 times)

tealc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Last of the Dwarves
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:52:16 pm »

Hey there,

First of all, I'm very new to Dwarf Fortress. Yesterday I started a game and played a few hours. Today I found out this miraculous Legends Viewer on the starter pack. So I looked through my world and found out that I'm basically the last of the Dwarves. The rest have been wiped out by a Dragon in year 8...

Does this have any repercussions for my current game? Will I still get traders and new Dwarves? I hope I don't have to start another world, I already put quite some time into my Fortress.

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last of the Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »

No more migrants or dwarf traders. I suggest you play on, to see how logn yuo can keep the dwarven race alive. If there are any mods that allow you to take back old dwarven fortress through conquest I suggest getting them (unless they are not save compatible). You will still get Elf, human and the odd Globin/kobold trader if you are nearby them

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »

I know you're new to DF so this might be a tad out of your league yet, but try and revive the dwarven race!  Get a really well functioning fort going that can survive most seiges without turtling, retire, then start a new fort and expand.  If you're a real masochist with a lot of time on your hands, try to go from dead race to world conquerors!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »

Unless it's changed without me noticing off screen invasions automatically succeed so retiring and starting another may not work if the goblins are busy enough.

What I would do in that situation is set the population cap low, maybe 35, and set the absolute cap to 300 and set child number to unlimited. That way you get to rebuild the dwarf population and potentially with good starting dwarves and excessive management breed them to be extremely tall and strapped with unbelievable amounts of muscle or hanging rolls of lard.

If you turn off invaders at first it's not too difficult to keep the fort alive without turtling up immediatly so you have time to increase the population and build fortifications appropriate for the last hope of the dwarves. Now that the size bug has been fixed I can potentially accomplish my plan to have an old military dwarf that's done individual training and sparring for years teach the fort born dwarves to be effective fighters so I can turn invaders back on. In my fort in the last version I tried it but the fort born dwarf that would have been the new military leader (the Duchess's second child) was pitifully easy to knock down compared to the old dwarf due to the size difference and I never made it to the point of turning invaders back on.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:31:44 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:42 pm »

What I would do in that situation is set the population cap low, maybe 35, and set the absolute cap to 300 and set child number to unlimited. That way you get to rebuild the dwarf population and potentially with good starting dwarves and excessive management breed them to be extremely tall and strapped with unbelievable amounts of muscle or hanging rolls of lard.

As far as I know, physical characteristic inheritance only works for animal breeding, not Dwarf breeding.  Except for things like eye color, which are apparently the same across a whole civilization.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

tealc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:38:04 pm »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've decided to continue the fortress, and try to save Dwarvenkind. So far I did get some immigrants and a Dwarven caravan in Autumn. These might be hardcoded though.

This is actually my first semi-serious game of DF. I've run into a small problem now. I have my farmers growing Plump helmets, and I want to use those to Brew some nice Dwarf-beverages. However, when the farmers see that the helmets are ready to be harvested, they bring the Plump-Helmet-barrel all the way to the farming fields. This has my brewer (understandably) complaining about lack of plants to brew. Is there any way to stop these crazy farming-dwarves from hauling away the entire barrel to their farms to put one Plump helmet in? It's really annoying to have to constantly re-set the brewing task.

PS. This also seems to happen with seeds. I've had my farmers complaining about lack of seeds, while there are plenty in stock.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:26:43 pm »

Is there any way to stop these crazy farming-dwarves from hauling away the entire barrel to their farms to put one Plump helmet in? It's really annoying to have to constantly re-set the brewing task.

PS. This also seems to happen with seeds. I've had my farmers complaining about lack of seeds, while there are plenty in stock.

Stockpile Design: Avoiding hauling-caused job cancellations
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

tealc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:36 pm »

Thanks. That helped some, though I'll need to experiment more to actually make it work. Still some cancellations.

On another note, while my Dwarves were merrily working away, suddenly there appeared a Giant Cave Spider in the middle of my Dining Hall. Luckily, it attacked a pet goat and my mason was able to bash its head in while it was distracted. My question is, however, how it got there in the first place? I did dig down quite deep and hit a cavern. I walled everything up though, so there should be no connection between the cavern and my fort anymore. How can the spider still get into my fortress?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »

On another note, while my Dwarves were merrily working away, suddenly there appeared a Giant Cave Spider in the middle of my Dining Hall. Luckily, it attacked a pet goat and my mason was able to bash its head in while it was distracted. My question is, however, how it got there in the first place? I did dig down quite deep and hit a cavern. I walled everything up though, so there should be no connection between the cavern and my fort anymore. How can the spider still get into my fortress?

Is there stone or wall on the level below your wall? Or are there diagonal open spaces next to your wall? Spiders are sneaky little buggers..  ;)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

tealc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 05:23:24 pm »

Hmm on closer inspection I've a wall that is built like this;

ooo
woo
oww (w=wall o=floor)

I didn't know that creatures could sneak through diagonally, thanks.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »

I didn't know that creatures could sneak through diagonally, thanks.

Yes, climbing and I think flying creatures can get through diagonal spaces on different levels, but all creatures can walk through diagonal spaces on the same level like you have there, even dwarves. Exploratory mining along diagonal tunnels is pretty common. After all, they can even smooth completely walled off intersections. They are just that dwarfy. ;)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?