Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in a well?  (Read 449 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing in a well?
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:39:20 pm »

So I've built a basic well.  That's done.  I put a floodgate in and also a wall grate behind it to keep animals from getting through into my cistern.

Well, some small shad got in anyway and now I have a couple of full grown perch in my cistern.

Wondering if I channel a hole near my well into the cistern if my fisherdwarf can drop a line in there for easy catching from inside the fortress?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing in a well?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:00:29 pm »

Back in .34 my dwarves were fishing pond turtles directly out of the well. Make of that what you will.
Everything's in the news today

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing in a well?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:55 pm »

Dwarves can fish anywhere as long as there's a mostly-full water block below an adjacent tile to where the are standing. So they can't fish from two or more zs above nor can they fish from two or more tiles away.

Also, vermin-fish technically don't count as real animals and will spawn (and vanish from) anywhere that meets their biome requirements. (Making it possible to catch ocean fish like nautilus from a well that happens to be underneath an ocean biome.)
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle