Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bogeymen are the good guys.  (Read 4556 times)

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen are the good guys.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »

So.. Your adventurer is a manifestation of Armok himself?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 05:54:12 pm »

The "canon" (I.E Toady said "yeah, that's basically what's happening) explanation is that you're something possessing the adventurer and making them do horrible things against their will, thus why you see your adventurer crying so much (they're horrified at things you're doing).

Anyway, everything that isn't undead has souls. Sponges have souls, badgers have souls, demons have souls, dwarves have souls.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »

The player is evil. Bogeymen are the good guys.

The next question, gentlemen, is how shall we weaponize them?

Bogeymen fight everything.  Well, idk about zombies.  They'll kill a bandit or a giant wolverine or a farmer as quickly as they'll kill you.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 08:31:13 am »

True, but only when you're around.

Anarchid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:33 am »

The body parts vaporize too.
Not after you butcher them. You have to be quick to do that, but fortunately the process is so fast you can butcher them in combat.

(Also goes for other kinds of beings, e.g, you can butcher and devour a person's limb while they bleed and cry on the cold floor, watching you do it).

I've survived for months as an evilsh adventuress on a diet of bogeyman hearts and with a waterskin full of bogeyman blood.

It doesn't vaporize.

So yes, bogeyman bone bolts should be fully possible. Or decorations. Maybe even bogeyman leather clothing.

I'd suggest trapping them in the fortress but cage traps don't work in adv mode and bogeymen fade away when the sun comes up
Chamber traps (ones that create walls around target area) will work though. Pressure plate, two raised drawbridges. All you need.

But anyways, the real reason that they dont attack villages, naturally, is that the collective presence of the villagers minds drives them away. After all, they only attack... When you are alone.
I suggest you stay a night in an elvish forest retreat without a traveling companion. Surely the elvish minds will keep you safe from bogeymen.

Or even in a human village, but outside any buildings.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:24:11 am by Anarchid »
"Look! I can make non-eldritch non-blood non-crystal things!"
"You are not the real Anarchid"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »

even in a human village, but outside any buildings.

this is a good way to get a feel for them in a relatively safe way.  One of my favorite training methods.  Plus points if you build fires around you by the door and sit on a pile of stones.  Also wedge the door open to bring in allies.

Remember boogies are hostile to almost everything.  I havent seen them attack zoms or other night creatures, but I haven't not seen them attack zoms or other night creatures.  If they spawn close enough to a camp they will attack the people there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:05:43 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:32 pm »

Are you DARING to imlply that Armok is evil?! I... Must... Kill...
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 04:23:08 pm »

While I can't really say for certain whether Armok is really 'evil' he/she is certainly not a nice god or goddess from the facts.

Armok generates creatures from nothing either one at a time or 7 at a time, and convinces people around them that they always existed when that is not the case. (adventurers and the starting 7 dwarves when spoken to have no history from before their creation, and have no parents or family members, yet no-one sees this as odd.)  That may be a partial violation of free will, on a large scale which most 'good' gods in various stories typically don't mess with unless absolutely necessary.  Armok does it because they're bored.

The adventurers also have complete souls and personalities, only for control to immediately be taken away.  Like some kind of hellish torture.  That's definitely a violation of free will, even passes into TV Tropes 'I have no mouth yet I must scream' territory.

And that's before we get into what they do under player control.  They may not be downright evil, but Armok does seem closer to the evil side of the spectrum than most of the Greek gods in myth, who themselves seem to be mostly portrayed as borderline douche bags.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:32:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]