Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I tell my military dwarves to kill every enemy creature in the burrow  (Read 934 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all!

How can I tell my military dwarves to find and kill every enemy creature found in the specific burrow? I have several squads with 2-3 dwarves in each of them and I created a burrow for the underground caverns. Then I give the orders via schedule screen to defend the burrow. Unfortunately, when the next enemy spawn (in this case it was cave crocodile) nothing really happens -- all dwarves still training in the barracks. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What does your schedule look like, exactly? If you want a burrow defended all the time, you need to add that order to at least one squad for every month. Since they're all training, I suspect that you haven't done that.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile

"Defend Burrows" means that all the military assigned to that task will move into the burrow, and will attack enemies when they get too close, just like when you station them somewhere (but a little more flexible).
First, are your dwarves doing actual training, or "Individual Combat Drills?" If the latter, you need to set the squads' alert state to the schedule for which you set Defend Burrows. Also, did you set "Defend Burrows" for the current month?
Is the cavern accessible? Not walled off or anything?
Also, you can tell squads via the "s" menu to 'k'ill specific targets.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What does your schedule look like, exactly? If you want a burrow defended all the time, you need to add that order to at least one squad for every month. Since they're all training, I suspect that you haven't done that.

I just tried to do it via routes. The schedule screen looks like this:

First, are your dwarves doing actual training, or "Individual Combat Drills?"

Individual Combat Drills.

Is the cavern accessible? Not walled off or anything?

Yes.

Also, you can tell squads via the "s" menu to 'k'ill specific targets.

Monsters in the underground spawns too often, I can't do it manually.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You may have forgotten to activate the squads under Alerts. That would mean they think they're off-duty, and do individual drills when they have nothing better to do.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile

Really wish the Toad would take a moment to streamline the whole military interface :| I honestly don't even set up military any more just to avoid it :> My dwarves either die like wretches or live walled away in darkness..

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really wish the Toad would take a moment to streamline the whole military interface

I don't think that would take "a moment".

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is what my schedule looks like, you had have some patrol while the others train so they don't get rusty in combat skills, it took me a while to realise that you can give multiple orders for the same squad on the same month. They will rotate between squad members for the jobs, so you won't have certain dwarves doing the same job always which is great.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:51:28 pm by Borge »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can also activate your squads in the (s)quad menu, no need to use the alert screen.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.

All of the above.  Also,as an aside, make sure that you set the sleeping to 'sleep in room at will', or you'll be  like me and wonder why they're sleeping on the cavern floor
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.