Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make an automatic garbage disposal and compactor/incinerator?  (Read 1891 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have access to magma if bridges are not possible for an automated garbage disposal system. By automatic i mean that once a dwarf has placed the garbage on a tile, it automatically gets tranported or dropped to destruction without any further action required such as pulled a lever to drop bridges or open floor hatches. I have noticed that a garbage dump placed over a hole in the ground means that dwarves will not dump into it, so you need to dump onto solid ground. My current garbage disposal system is just a floor hatch linked to a lever that drops garbage a few Z levels underneath raising bridges. I have easy access to magma as i found a magma tube in my first cavern.

Any ideas on how this can be done? Possibly with a stationary auto-dumping minecart with the garbage dump over a take-all stockpile that takes from links only so nothing gets placed in it accidentally? I have not played with minecarts so it would be a learning experience, any other ideas?

Dwimenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make an automatic garbage disposal and compactor/incinerator?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:21 am »

1. dig a hole directly above magma. You want to have 3-4 z-levels of free space. Big objects falling into magma make a "splash" and produce magma mist, which is deadly for your dwarves.
2. Put hatch cover over your hole
3. Put 1x1 garbage zone on your hatch cover
4. Build a lever, link it with your hatch cover
5. Pull the lever to open the hatch
6. Try to dumb something to see if it works.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:14 am »

1. dig a hole directly above magma. You want to have 3-4 z-levels of free space. Big objects falling into magma make a "splash" and produce magma mist, which is deadly for your dwarves.
2. Put hatch cover over your hole
3. Put 1x1 garbage zone on your hatch cover
4. Build a lever, link it with your hatch cover
5. Pull the lever to open the hatch
6. Try to dumb something to see if it works.

That's easy, i want to take the lever pulling step out. Once it's been dumped, no further action on my part is needed before destruction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:44:44 am »

I have noticed that a garbage dump placed over a hole in the ground means that dwarves will not dump into it, so you need to dump onto solid ground.
Assuming no changes since .34, you need to put the dump zone on solid ground next to the hole. It can extend over the hole.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dwimenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:55 am »

That's easy, i want to take the lever pulling step out. Once it's been dumped, no further action on my part is needed before destruction.
But you need to pull it only once to open hatch after creating garbage dump.
Dig hole->put hatch -> put zone->put lever->link lever to hatch->pull lever->deconstruct lever->keep hatch opened->dump something while hatch is opened->if dwarves dump item to magma, let us know->if dwarves don't dump items, let us know.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:54:33 am »

If you want to get fancier:
1) Put a garbage collection stockpile in town close to your goblin grinder or other heavy source of garbage.
2) Build a minetrack stop in the middle of it, and set the minecart to load everything from the stockpile then get pushed.
3) Run the rail line through town to your shaft leading to the magma sea.  Have the track curve around* and return to the garbage depot.
4) Put a pressure plate on the tracks set to trigger when the empty minecart travels over it.  The plate will open the hatch and dump the garbage to the magma sea.

*A derailment loop can allow you to use the same track to return the cart as to send it.
Code: [Select]
╔╔════
╚╝

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »

For automatic atom-smashing, you can put a pressure plate down that triggers the bridge. Where you place it will determine how often it goes off. I've noticed that raising bridges cause a very slight lag in my fortresses, and it gets noticeable when something is wandering over the plate every five seconds.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 10:47:36 am »

Personally I dig a shaft that is above the Magma Sea, with semi-molten-rock below it. 
I build the dump area in such a way that dwarves have to dump through a diagonal, so the splash doesn't melt them.  Of course, if you build the shaft long enough, the splashes don't matter anyway, but with such a shaft-dump, everything gets removed immediately upon dumping.  Nothing fancy required.  Very safe.