Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no respawn in caves mod?  (Read 1034 times)

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no respawn in caves mod?
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:36 am »

is it possible to turn off respawn in caves for "normal" creatures? just for troglodytes would remove the biggest problem.

i would like to explore the caves, kill the mobs there, and then use the caves (still facing the danger of forgotten beasts). but since you're getting constant respawns i usually just immediately seal them and dig around.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: no respawn in caves mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:54:46 pm »

You could go into the raw files for the cave creatures and just remove the ones you don't want. Or lower their populations so that you won't have to deal with as many as you normally would.

Or weather it out and attempt to completely wipe-out all wildlife in the caverns.

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:49:50 pm »

Or weather it out and attempt to completely wipe-out all wildlife in the caverns.
i don't think that works. even if you do they keep respawning.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:57:44 pm »

i don't think that works. even if you do they keep respawning.

Creatures do have population numbers, which are defined in the raws. Though now that they can breed it may be difficult to kill them all. In previous versions they did not breed, and would eventually go extinct if you kept killing them.

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:22 pm »

ok i'm going to try this. i guess this is the line: [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20] what do these numbers mean?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »

Population numbers are the amount found in each individual region of the world. The first number is the minimum amount of the creature that can be in the region, and the second number is the maximum.

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:43 am »

thx. if i change this in the save/.../raw/objects folder, will it affect the running game somehow or do i have to restart?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »

thx. if i change this in the save/.../raw/objects folder, will it affect the running game somehow or do i have to restart?
You need a restart, most likely. It might even cause crashes if you try it on a save.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:52:28 pm »

there's always the lazy way...wall off all caves that lead off the edge of the map...then flood the whole thing (preferably with lava) and drain it.  No more cave animals! ...well...except vermin...

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:05:59 pm »

I'm surprised no ones mentioned this, but there can only be one group of wildlife per biome in the game at one time (barring certain exceptions). If you don't want to deal with more creatures, trap a flesh ball or mole in a room. As long as it's not caged, no more creatures will show up.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*