Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A MUD game project - 3D Rendering in Ncurses (for the ASCII lovers out there)  (Read 7338 times)

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress

Hi Everyone  :)

I have been working on a game engine for the past week or so to support a semi-mud that I thought of while watching Alien recently.

I intend for it to be a mix of Eve Online , (now defunct) 0x10c, and Muds in general, but mainly a "Spaceship Simulator". I want ships to be extremely difficult to navigate and control, and for the interfaces to resemble 80s command prompts.

One of the major features of this game will be 3d objects in ncurses, and over the past week as I've started this game I've put this together with a heavily modified version of Teros Engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sqPvLjgHww
(That's all being rendered as an actual model in ncurses)

Borrowing from Alien, I'm going for interfaces like this:

The difficulty would require ships to have crews, where each system would require some level of expertise in itself to control. For example, diverting energy from one part of the ship to another might require actually having to find a conduit to divert energy through to get power to a given destination.

I imagine it requires some skill to know how to use the computers on star trek.

This also means that larger ships would require much larger crews.

The players would not start with ships, and ships themselves would be expensive and a relatively special item in a game that revolves around space travel. Players could hire a ship crew to take them between destinations, or might join up with a crew if they feel comfortable enough being in charge of a system on a ship.

Combat would probably mean death for most at first, because having to navigate the ship and control everything on board and stay alive might be very tricky unless they have a very skilled crew.

Everything will remain fully open source and GPL'd, and the code can be found at (develop branch is more often updated):

https://github.com/yamamushi/warpdriveoverload

What is there as of posting this now, is the interface system for building screens and drawing on the screen easier without using the archaic ncurses way. Lots of example code is around, and I'm still modifying the interfaces (C++ Interfaces, not game interfaces) to make them more generic.

Forgive me because it's very messy, but I would love to have help on this (it's not open source for nothing!). There are plenty of features that I need to add, and tons of models and interfaces that have yet to be put together.

Much of the game design is still missing, so I'd love to have input or people join in on this project. Everything from sound to graphics to coding (coding please), to just mechanics in general. What are some core pieces of a warp drive that you think should be modifiable and what should their effects be even on different pieces of the ship?

Or, when you want to request to dock at a station what should that protocol be like? Should you have to type out the proper responses to calls, similar to how pilots talk to control towers in real life? Should docking be an autopilot-like procedure, or maybe require some manual guidance to get the docking ports aligned?

Networking won't be around in the client for a while, as of now I'm focusing on building components in code and then assembling them into interfaces soon. As soon as some interfaces are put together properly, I'll transition to building the server side of things so that the game logic can be handled on the server end and people can communicate with each other. I don't imagine this will be very usable for a while, but I'm paving ahead regardless.

I can be found on freenode @ yamamushi, or in the channel ##warp-overload that I created for this project.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

If you make the various controls scriptable, a lot of the game could revolve around writing and acquiring scripts. For example, docking is a manual procedure without scripts, but you could feasibly write a script that would align your ship correctly. So as you get more skilled and/or wealthy you have access to better scripts, and therefore need less crew.

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress

If you make the various controls scriptable, a lot of the game could revolve around writing and acquiring scripts. For example, docking is a manual procedure without scripts, but you could feasibly write a script that would align your ship correctly. So as you get more skilled and/or wealthy you have access to better scripts, and therefore need less crew.

That's a really good idea, I think that if that is the case that scripts should also be temporary and wear out after a period of time.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.