Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Elusive Sliver Barb  (Read 4778 times)

ArchaicGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Sliver Barb
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 04:35:50 pm »

WET and DRY only apply to trees and shrubs - they do not apply to farm plots. A quick look at the wiki would have made this plainly obvious, given that it does not mention any concerns about building farm plots near water...

Also, how do you intend to farm kobold bulbs when they don't have seeds?

Trust me, I've scoured the wiki top to bottom several times, but this has always been a point of confusion for me because on the page for crops it lists all above ground crops as being in either a wet or dry biome, but then fails to mention anywhere (that I've read at least) that this isn't a concern for farm plots. Therefore, it's quite easy to assume farm plots do require to be near a water source for WET biome crops.

Never knew kobold bulbs didn't have seeds, as I've never even seen them in game. The entirety of my knowledge of them is that they can have gnome blight extracted from them at a still. Thanks for the info, though. Now I know not to bother trying to cultivate them if I ever do find them in game.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »

I just appreciate that you spelled it "sliver" instead of "silver".

Elf me sideways... I've been reading it wrong all this time?!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »

For the record, I have a fortress with an extensive above-ground farming operation, definitely far away from water, and I have fisher berries there.  I can't grow bloated tubers or muckroot, though, because according to the Crops page they need a specific biome -- in spite of buying them frequently from traders for alcohol purposes.

After another seven worlds, I have at last found my object!  In a temperate desert, no less, amidst glumprongs and cacti.  Let the gothening commence!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:07:42 pm »

Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 10:03:52 pm »

For the record, I have a fortress with an extensive above-ground farming operation, definitely far away from water, and I have fisher berries there.  I can't grow bloated tubers or muckroot, though, because according to the Crops page they need a specific biome -- in spite of buying them frequently from traders for alcohol purposes.

The reason you can't grow them is because they don't have seeds. In .34 I modded in seeds (I think I called them seed tubers and muck root fragments), and could grow them just fine in fields. I haven't bothered in .40 because we can grow potatoes and turnips and stuff anyway.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »

I haven't bothered in .40 because we can grow potatoes and turnips and stuff anyway.

I knew this would start happening when we got real world plants... Shouldn't matter if there are counterparts now. Some plants in the new list have multiple species of the same type, so originals could be treated as a special species of that type. Original ancestors, even. They've been a part of DF culture for many years. Please don't let them die from your minds.  :'(

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?
Pages: 1 [2]