Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39

Author Topic: The Museum II; adventure succession world (game is finished)  (Read 110161 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum II; new adventure succession world
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2020, 10:51:26 am »

The game appears quite stable for an early release, but I still remember that we shot ourselves in the foot by starting museum 2 too early. The last version fixed a lot of crash bugs, and there are likely more. Bugs are not always fixed in old versions. Let's wait a bit longer.

About mods, easier access to writing materials and decorative crafts is fine, but I'd prefer to keep it small and stay away from weapons and armor.

About writing specific texts. I remember that dfhack had a script that could do this? That would be useful, but other than that I would like to keep dfhack use limited to circumventing bugs.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 08, 2020, 05:18:37 pm »

Even something like the ability to have something face right or left, or to point right or left would make going through labyrinths so much more amazing.)

Could use coded engravings perhaps. Menacing pose means left, triumphant pose means right... something like that.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 08, 2020, 06:34:54 pm »

Being able to put hyperlinks into the game itself would be amazing.  It would add so much to the UI.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 09, 2020, 11:18:54 am »

Found it!

Hyperlinks are obviously not possible, but custom text is. Putnam created this, ages ago:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=8398

I'm not sure if it will still work once we have dfhack for the new version, but it looks promising.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:24:15 am by Bralbaard »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 09, 2020, 01:34:57 pm »

God damn it, stop hyping Me up!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 10, 2020, 04:51:43 am »

Found it!

Hyperlinks are obviously not possible, but custom text is. Putnam created this, ages ago:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=8398

I'm not sure if it will still work once we have dfhack for the new version, but it looks promising.

A simpler way to do it is edit the slab with gui/gm-editor (it has a field which is called something like "message" or sth).
Either way if you trouble with it when you try doing it, message me.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 10, 2020, 12:18:39 pm »

I think open-legends should a allowed script, so you can know about interesting things to find, where to find them, and can find out how interesting items you find are.
I also think gui/create-item should be allowable for the sole purpose of making slabs with custom text.
Any objections or other ideas what scripts should be allowed when adventuring?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 10, 2020, 01:18:53 pm »

If I remember correctly the dfhack command open-legends is involved in a terrible world corruption bug that will cause embark sites to turn themselves inside out, revealing hfs, several months after the command is used. Hilarious and unexpected,but save game corruption is bad and it is stuff like this that makes me want to restrict dfhack use as much as possible. We did need dfhack to bypass several bugs in the first museum game, and it would be very useful to be able to write notes, but I would like to keep it somewhat restricted  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:18:55 pm by Bralbaard »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2020, 05:40:27 am »

If I remember correctly the dfhack command open-legends is involved in a terrible world corruption bug that will cause embark sites to turn themselves inside out, revealing hfs, several months after the command is used. Hilarious and unexpected,but save game corruption is bad and it is stuff like this that makes me want to restrict dfhack use as much as possible. We did need dfhack to bypass several bugs in the first museum game, and it would be very useful to be able to write notes, but I would like to keep it somewhat restricted  :)

There is some hierarchy on how involved something is in dfhack:
* open-legends is quite hacky/involved so more dangerous
* create-item is middle ground, as it does not mess with "global state"
* simple modifications (e.g. as in gui/gm-editor) depend on what you are changing. Usually they are safe.

I recommend making a reaction for "turn stuff into slab" and then a script that sets it's message as it would be safest. Or just not use dfhack at all for everones peace of mind.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 16, 2020, 03:21:28 am »

I'm thinking that putting a tinyurl as the text on a slab is probably doable.  The url would have to be manually copied into a browser, but that shouldn't prove too much of a challenge.  I often clone a file and open a second dwarf fortress in legends mode to find out whats been going on in the area of the world I'm exploring.  If legends mode is set not to reveal all events, then whatever I'm reading will only be what is considered "common knowledge"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:29:52 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 17, 2020, 03:02:24 pm »

There is some hierarchy on how involved something is in dfhack:
* open-legends is quite hacky/involved so more dangerous
* create-item is middle ground, as it does not mess with "global state"
* simple modifications (e.g. as in gui/gm-editor) depend on what you are changing. Usually they are safe.

I recommend making a reaction for "turn stuff into slab" and then a script that sets it's message as it would be safest. Or just not use dfhack at all for everones peace of mind.

Putnam's script seems to do just that (except that it appears to create the slab from thin air). We need to test it once a stable dfhack version is available.  If it all works then we can white-list this script, and keep other dfhack use to a minimum.

Toady expects to be bufixing untill the end of the month, then he'll start work on the steam version. I think that would be a the best time to set up the game? (unless there are obvious major bugs)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:04:20 pm by Bralbaard »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 01, 2020, 04:41:20 am »

Now that 47.04’s been released, we could probably start organizing this properly. We won’t be getting another release for what I believe the scientific community refers to as a ‘Yonk’.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 01, 2020, 04:58:42 pm »

Yes, I'll see if I can set something up this week...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 04, 2020, 04:50:47 pm »

We have some important choices to make.
I have generated three worlds. Tell me which one you prefer.

World 1: Ïssunushul,The Everlasting Realm
size: 129x129 (medium)
Year: 444
This world is of moderate age (about as much as I can gen without crashing) it is surrounded by ice and frozen wastes on all sides. Necromancy has gotten quite out of hand in the south-western part of the map, which has approximately 30 towers, the rest of the continents are in better shape.
Playable civilized races:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
map:

World 2: Orid Xem; The Universes of Myth
Size: 65x257 (medium)
Year: 700
The map is a long valley, the world has passed into the third age of myth, and I was able to gen the world up to the year 700, but only because a terrible calamity took place. At the end of the second age of legends an undead plague swept over most of the valley only sparing the human empires south of the frozen wastes (The Tundra of Heroes). All other empires were destroyed and appeared completely ruined at some point. Some towns now show up as inhabited, I suspect these are ruled by bandits and thieves. The number of survivors is low, allowing me to generate a relatively old world. Dwarves and elves are probably close to extinction.
map:

World 3: Xah Kajeth; The Dimension of Griffons
Size: 129x257 (large)
Year: 155
The Age of Myth
this world is larger, but the amount of landmass is probably similar to the others, as there is much water. The world is generated with only a short history, so towers and necromancers have had less of an effect on the world, and there is far less sprawl of monasteries, castles etc. Distances on this map are large. The setup for this map most closely resembles the museum I game, but obviously with less history.
map:

I've decided to go with vanilla DF, no mods. (but we can use the dfhack script for writing custom slabs, though I still have to test it)
I'm also opening up the list for people to sign up, tell me if you want to join!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:54:14 pm by Bralbaard »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:33 pm »

Sign me up in fourth place, if it’s possible.

Aa fof the maps... I’m not sure. Map 2 is probably the coolest in terms of design, but it’ll be hard to play if the Dwarves are nearing extinction. Map 1 looks more compressed and easily navigable, but there’s stuff everywhere, and it seems very crowded. Map 3 is less crowded, but overall, it has less stuff.

I genuinely don’t know.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39