Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39

Author Topic: The Museum II; adventure succession world (game is finished)  (Read 110470 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum II; new adventure succession world
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »

Either this is the most interesting adventure ever, or Lomam partook in more than just the beer...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2014, 12:04:47 am »

How many outlaws ambushed you? O_o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2014, 12:22:42 am »

Either this is the most interesting adventure ever, or Lomam partook in more than just the beer...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »

How many outlaws ambushed you? O_o

There were a lot of different armies present, but not all of those were large.  I'm not sure if everybody had the intention to ambush us either, a lot of them were probably just dragged along. The naked man for example was likely a werecreature in human form. I guess those wouldn't attack under normal circumstances. Anyhow a lot of them were suffering from complete morale failure or mental breakdown. There were a lot of outlaws and monsters running around in random circles, crying. It was weird and awkward for everyone involved. I guess the acid explanation makes sense too.

The tavern thing is due to a bug were entire cities could be taken over by taverns, it has been fixed in recent versions, but apparently creviceglad was converted before the fix occured.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:48:41 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »

We made it to Throneshields. The dwarves however are unwilling to part with their beer. They say they have barely enough to last them through winter. I explain that me and my friend haven't got enough to make it through the week. The dwarf looks horrified by our misfortune, and tells us we might have more luck asking for booze at the famous distilleries at Strifefulglories the Ageless Honor, a famous dwarven mountainhome.

He presents us with an alternative too. Apparently they are willing to trade us a whole barrel of dwarven rum if we submit something to the museum of Throneshields. When I inquire what types of submissions would be permissible, he starts to rant about mighty artifacts, demon corpses, sea serpents and a lot of other fairytale stuff. Me and Eman decide to travel to Strifefullglories instead.

Before setting of we decide to take a look at one of the natural wonders of this area. Just south of the museum, barely outside the dwarven-owned land, there is a mighty waterfall, many times taller than the museum. We drink a beer and stare into the falling water for a time, then finally refill our flasks with water and leave.

We travel around the mountain range of The Single Teeth. Night falls more quickly than expected, and we realize we can't get to the dwarven fortress in time. Eman tells me there should be a nearby elven site, known as Coverdale, that we can reach, and mumbles something about special plants and herbs. Indeed, after only a short journey in the direction she points out, the plant life is starting to look unnatural, as if possessed by some dark magic. We finally make it to the mighty trunks of a cluster of gigantic trees. Strangely enough, the trees, despite their dark twisted shapes, appear to be inviting us, welcoming us. I look around. There is not an elf in sight, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, watching. I suddenly feel drowsy, and that tree does look comfortable. we climb up to the first branches of one of the giant trees and fall asleep.

The next morning after waking up, I force myself to drink water (better save the last liquor for later), and eat some meat. Now that there is daylight the tree looks even taller. Incredibly tall. In fact, it should be possible to see Strifefullglories, or maybe even Ageford from the top of that thing. I climb up, branch by branch. The view is truly amazing. If I climb just a bit higher I should be able to see...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:40:51 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:17 am »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:25 am »

I felt sharp pain, but then there was something different.. I saw colors I had never seen before, dark tunnels with light at the end, Elven songs...The roots of the tree they.. they were growing into my head, fixing things. I was running over a rainbow.. There was a unicorn at the end of the rainbow, it was angry because I ate that poor turtle in the holy tree. It stabbed me with its horn, Then there was pain, and that dark tunnel again.

I wake up covered in tree roots, my neck feels a bit stiff. Other than that I'm feeling fine though. Not a scratch. Must have landed more softly than I thought. Sure have been lucky. Also, that was one weird dream. Eman was right about the magical herbs here.
I find Eman under one of the other trees, unconcious. When she finally wakes up I find out she has drunk our entire supply of booze since she tought I had died. Great.

We travel a bit further east, and cross a river. After a while we pass some strange artificial ditches in the terrain. When I turn to Eman to ask what those are, I find out she is gone. I search, and scream her name but there is no response, and my tracking skill does not offer any clues. Worried, I continue, I haven't seen her since that last river we crossed.. I continue and see many more of the strange ditches and finally then finally I arrive at a large collection of square towers. With a shock I realize what those are, I must have wandered into the goblin city of Jackallabor.
Instinctively, I hide in the shadow of a glumprong tree, and watch for trouble.  strange red clouds noiselesly drift through between the towers. It is eerily silent, the city appears to be deserted. I decide to investigate. I have heard rumours that great treasures can be found in goblin keeps, and if this one is unguarded..

There is one tower that dwarves all the others, both in height and size. It is made of a dark material that somehow, looks more solid than anything I have ever seen.
Avoiding the unnatural clouds, I sneak in. Not a goblin in sight. The floor is covered under a thin layer of dust, confirming that the place is likely abandoned. Carefully I explore the building, working my way from the ground floor to the higher floors. The place is a maze, with many rooms both large and small. In some of these the goblins have stored armor, but none of it will fit me. There are weapons too, but nothing that looks like an improvement over my iron two handed sword.

There are many levers. At first I am a bit anxious that pulling these might trigger a trap, but studying the mechanisms I find they are connected to the doors. It's high quality work too. All the doors still function, but they all lead to empty rooms, that remind me of prison cells.   
I confidently stride through the hallways now, looking for treasure. I no longer sneak, and give up being silent. After bashing down a door for which I can't find the lever I find that may not have been so wise. I fall into the room on top of the unhinged door, making a terrible noise, then find a mighty and muscled goblin look down on me from the other end of the room. I try a friendly greeting, but his answer is clear:

Everything in his voice and movement tells me he will easily master me in combat. This goblin in his room in the top floor of the tower likely rules the place, even if he has nobody to rule over.

I trust on my longer legs and make a run for it. The goblin doesn't even try to keep up. I head back down, but somewhere end up taking a different staircase. All the halls I travel through are empty without a trace of other goblins. I decide to resume my treasure hunt, and descend deeper and deeper into the fortress, Until I arrive at a floor where there are no further downstairs.

I walk back up, but none of the rooms I walk through look familiar. The entire fortress seems to have magically rearranged itself, or am I still not sober?. The new layout forces me to walk back up, ever higher and higher, until I arrive at the top floor again, a different top floor. This time I do not bash the door down, but I sneak in. The goblin is there again, but he doesn't see me. I sneak up to him, wait until I have the perfect opportunity, then bring my sword down, his head flies of with one clean cut.

The rooms stay the same now. I look outside on the entrance level, but the entire landscape is covered in red clouds, I better stay inside a bit longer. I head back down, and explore every corner I can find. There is again a level where I can't continue further down, but the level above that has a narrow passage into a large underground cavern. While there is a lack of living goblins there is definitely not a lack of dead ones here. There is a huge heap of corpses in the centre of the room, There are holes in the cavern floor that seem like botomless pits. When I toss in a stone it takes at least 20 urist before I hear a sound.  At the other end of the cavern I find an entrance to what must have been living quarters for the goblins. Its a dead end though, and completely abandoned.

The fortress is a dead end, but I won't be stopped that easily. I drop some of the heavy stuff I am carrying around, and then, slowly climb down the deep shaft.

(OOC: so somehow those horrible wounds from the fall all healed. My upper spine still shows up in cyan, which I think means a complete loss of function, but I'm doing fine actually. If Toady ever fixes that bug, my character will suddenly suffocate in seconds)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:54:26 am by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2014, 05:15:45 am »

It is a long climb, but finally the shaft widens, opening up into a huge underground cavern. I'm still high above the cavern floor. There are strange underground plants growing here, and with great effort, I manage to reach one of them and use it to climb down further. There are more goblin corpses down here, these have probably been tossed down the shaft.

I discover that the structure of the goblin tower definitely continues this far down. There is a great slade wall down here with the same dimensions as the aboveground fortress. There is however no entrance. I find another shaft that leads further down still, and carefully climb down. After a similar distance as the first it opens up into another great cavern, but this one is completely flooded. There is a huge underground lake down here. The water doesn't look inviting, and I can't swim, those are enough reasons to head back up.  I saw too little of this cavern to know if the slade tower descends this deep down. Back in the tower dungeon of I explore a part I had previously missed. I find no connection to the mysterious lower dungeons of the goblin tower. I do however find some other living quarters. It's another dead end, but to my surprise I run into a human. She is friendly and introduces himself as Semod Buttondreams, the ringleader. With the goblin master gone, she apparently sees herself as the ruler of this place. Well, she can have the fortress, for all I care. I decide to stay for the night, but tomorrow I will travel to Strifefulglories.

It's only a short distance to Strifefulglories, but it is no easy journey. The fortress lies in an incredibly dense jungle. The dwarves of Strifefulglories seem to have used this natural resource well. The fortress is surrounded by a wooden wall. I find an elf outside, looking at the wall with tears in his eyes. Typical.

I scale the walls and explore the fortress. Dwarves are most definitely better architects than goblins. The place is well organized, with straight corridors, and evenly spaced rooms. At first however, it seems like the elf outside is the only living inhabitant. I finally run into a dwarf, and he tells me that most of the inhabitants have fled after they were attacked not too long ago by some human warlord and his army.

There are some other dwarves on this level of the fortress. When I ask if I can buy some booze, they tell me they have run out. So much for the good advice from the dwarves from throneshields. Walking through the fortress I am indeed unable to find any stockpiled food or liquor. There is a well, but it only has muddy water. Without booze and food, this place will likely be quickly abandoned. The staircase connects to a large cavern system, like the goblin fortress did, but I do not feel like exploring the caves.

A scrawny and small female dwarf,  Zaneg visionconstructs, asks if she can join me on my journey back to Throneshields. I agree but not much later come to regret that I did. She's suffering from some form of mental breakdown it seems, and most of our conversations go like this:

The hammerer she keeps referring too isn't even anywhere around. I only find him several hours later, hiding somewhere in a  room. The hammerer is not actually wielding a hammer but something different, a strange artifact pick.

I will have to bring something back for the museum or this whole journey will have been for nothing, so I try to purchase the hammerer's pick in exchange for a large number of gems I had found earlier, but I'm unsuccessful. We head back up and I find something else I can offer to the museum instead. A large elven cage, that contains one of the most curious animals I have ever seen, a giant tortoise. The cage has some makeshift wheels, so me and Zaneg push it out of the fortress gates and start our journey back to the museum.

We travel  until evening and make a campfire. Zaneg will keep the first watch.
When I wake up I find the tortoise is gone! The cage is empty! Zaneg claims she hasn't seen anything during her watch. Not only is she suffering from a mental breakdown, but she is incompetent as well. It must have taken the tortoise hours to break out of that cage, and too walk of and disappear out of sight. I have had it with these dwarves. (ooc: apparently caged animals disappear when fast traveling or sleeping)

I have the perfect gift for these bearded idiots and their museum. I will submit a sterling silver flask with loathsome slush I scooped up in the forest of beguiling earlier today. I'll pretend it is a flask with “Magical booze from Strifefulglories”. They'll even trade me a barrel of real booze for it. The journey will have been worthwhile after all!

--------------------

Allright that was fun. Sadly I had no time to build a fortress. I posted the save game a few posts above this one.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2014, 04:02:17 pm »

Aw man, I was hoping you would senselessly slaughter that guy for the artifact pick.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:18 pm »

I'm downloading the save now, wish me luck
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2014, 01:50:52 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/03ep9z5a35mxstb/museum_II_-_turn_5_end.zip
here is the save, I didn't make a fort because frankly I suck at fortress mode And I wanted to go ahead and post this because my internet is quite unreliable, I will begin posting the story soon
(if the save doesn't work just pretend my turn didn't happen)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:15:44 am by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2014, 10:24:50 am »

That was fast.

I'm just going to assume that you got murdered by a group of dingoes/bandits
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2014, 11:00:57 am »

That was fast.

I'm just going to assume that you got murdered by a group of dingoes/bandits
Wolves be deadly in packs with a peasant.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2014, 01:33:14 pm »

I'm looking forward to the story. Kalsb is up next..

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »

Also, please put me on the turn list once more.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39