Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mod request: Simpler bodyplans  (Read 1991 times)

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mod request: Simpler bodyplans
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:07:52 am »

I get a bit nervous knowing that DF tracks bodies down to the individual tooth / finger / rib / eyelash(!?) detail. Reasons are twofold: I think the combat reports get too awkward ("the bolt breaks the third left false rib and tears the right lung", "you grab the goblin by the second right finger", etc) and I despair thinking of any processor cycles lost on each creature's individual mitochondria. I know that last one is a slight exaggeration, but you got the idea.

So is there an existing mod that simplifies bodyplans down to something simpler? I don't care if my dwarves and other creatures are actually lego figures that only have two "hand" parts to grasp with and two "foot" parts to stand on. Substituting every tooth by a single "teeth" and every rib by a single "ribcage" bone would be ideal, too. Body integrity should be maintained: I like the current state of things where bodies have bone / muscle / fat / skin layers, but I think the amount of body detail is overwhelming for the kind of game DF is (I play exclusively fortress mode).

Ideally, this shouldn't alter gameplay too much (ie: the simpler bodies should be as resistant / strong / etc as the current ones) but I'm willing to support some sacrifices for a more reasonable (IMO) game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: mod request: Simpler bodyplans
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:14:38 am »

This can be done exclusively by modding body parts (such as the ones found in body_default, body_rcp, etc). Take a look inside those files and it should be easy for you to figure out how to do it. And if you do run into some problems or have doubts, just ask in the question thread. Requests aren't taken very kindly here because it's quite easy to learn to do it yourself and because we're all doing this on our free time.

As for mods that already have simplified bodyparts, I don't know of any (doesn't mean there isn't one out there).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:39:43 am »

What Deathsword said, and look at the creatures using a HUMANOID_SIMPLE body plan to get started.  Unfortunately, every vanilla creature that uses that body plan is made of weird materials (fluffy wambler, blood man, etc.), but copying over standard materials should be relatively easy.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:56:35 am »

It would be interesting to know, but i would be surprised if complex body plans have much of an FPS impact.  It's not like it's actually calculating alot of biomechanical forces or physiological processes with every tick.

-- with the possible exception, of if your refuse pile is getting full up of severed left pinky third joints ;)  but in my experience it's usually full of hands and legs anyway.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:59:08 am by smakemupagus »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:24:50 am »

-- with the possible exception, of if your refuse pile is getting full up of severed left pinky third joints ;)  but in my experience it's usually full of hands and legs anyway.
Teeth are a big offender when it comes to refuse clutter though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?