Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Empty World - An RPG I'm working on, need 2-4 players.  (Read 1501 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
The Empty World - An RPG I'm working on, need 2-4 players.
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »

Name pending, seems to work for now.  I don't put much value in names, so it's whatever.

You live in... well, it's the city.  It's the world.  The world you know.  A single palisade and the city cowering behind it - in that order.  The wall is really what it is, the city itself is secondary to the wall that surrounds it.  Without the wall, the things in the forest would kill you, and everyone.  No one leaves the wall at night, and even in the daytime it's a risk.  Of course it's a required risk, the wall isn't large enough to surround the few square miles of farmland, and even the farm isn't enough to keep the people alive, the river provides so much fish and the hunters bring back so much meat - assuming the hunters do come back.

And that's the status of the world for the duration of history.  A rich river, an endless expanse of woodlands, a battered farm, a desperate population, and the wall.  History is a funny thing though.  History tracks time, it tracks what changes and what's happened.  For all of 'history' there has been no change.  There's been birth and death, there's been damage and repair, but nothing has actually changed.  Survival has been stagnant and it has not been proud.  Until now.

You are the first person in, well, in your lifetime at least, to manipulate magic.  Written history is sparse, there is no real history of civilization, there's what you remember from your life, and in that time you know you're the first to bend magic.  It's a difficult art, but it's very primal and very powerful.  The source is something deep and basic, and with your bare hands you've fended off the beasts that prey on humans.  Briefly.  "Fend off" is very literal, as it was more of a frantic run inside the wall away from an ambush.  But it happened, you survived, and others survived because of your actions.  You've been a farmer for as long as you were able to walk, at first looking and cutting blight off the crops, later replanting and cooking.  But you have an ability now that changes things, on at least some level.

And this is where the game starts.  Since I'm looking for 2-4 players, I want at least one of them to be 'the magic dude' but it's not required, as it doesn't actually matter if 0 or 4 characters are magical.  The game is extremely open-roam.  It HELPS if there's some magic talent, because there will be strictly magical enemies that will be difficult to face without magic.  Some will be impossible to kill without magic, though there's naturally occurring defenses, and the magic that kills them doesn't have to be YOUR magic.

The theme of the game, if there was one central theme, it's resource starvation.  Metal doesn't exist in any reasonable way.  Stone barely exists.  There's enough stone to produce axes and a few choice tools, but masonry is not a known skill, wood and plant fiber are the primary materials of the human city.  Clearcutting woodland is going to meet fierce and monstrous opposition, stone quarrying is going to be a massive undertaking, and the only metal you're likely to encounter is at the bottom of an incomprehensibly dangerous dungeon, and it'll be a silver dollar sized piece of metal.  And THAT little bit of metal should be an enormous treasure.  Any attempts at construction, production, or advancement are going to be met with stiff resistance.  The existing humans haven't moved beyond their one wall, and there's a good reason for that.  The resource scarcity and the monsters that prowl in the night keep people subdued.

So, the actual gameplay.  Right now, I'm thinking it will be played on a private forum.  A large part of the game should be lack of information, which is why I'm not making exact math and details known, but rather leave them to be discovered.  I will say that it runs off something similar to a d20 system, with a skill level and a dice roll + skill check.  Posts will be made on the forum, and time will progress as the players agree on actions and things occur.  This means the pacing of the game is entirely variable.  The general 'speed' of the game is in combat time, which is generally about 5 minutes per turn of attacks, and in world time, which is 1 day at a time.  A large focus of the game is meant to be on large-type progression, and there's rules in place for handling laborers and settlements, meant to play as much as a strategy game as anything else.

The game starts with a number of players and their fairly generic characters (woodworker, farmer, etc.) with a basic set of basic skills, along with 1 extra mook per player, who represents "someone who is impressed by your magic and is willing to follow you" or something along those lines.  They mook's skill level is on a similar level as the player, and offers another set of hands to do things.  Beyond that, there is no direction and no guide.  You are aware that there is a city, there are farms, to the west is an enormous river far too wide to swim across, forests surround you on all sides, and far to the north is something that might look like mountains.  The world is inhabited by fairly mundane creatures, as well as monsters of a wide variety of types.  If you're not careful the world WILL kill you, and quickly.

Anyone interested or have questions?  Post here.  A lot of information is intentionally secret, but there might be things I should tell more about.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Empty World - An RPG I'm working on, need 2-4 players.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 12:09:18 am »

Welp. Color me interested. I'm thinking I might like to be "a magic dude", maybe a hunter too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:11:23 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:24:38 am »

Well this is interesting. And it would let me attempt so many things! I'd be interested in being a hunter/Trapper. Good at planning and a bit of long range, less so in a direct attack.

If you need ideas for stuff the hunters would use with limited stone and wood, I do have a few ideas.

Are there 'gender roles' in the city?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:31:25 am »

Are there 'gender roles' in the city?
Latvia is a harsh country.  Everyone works the potato fields.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 12:31:58 am »

This actually seems very interesting.
Colour me interested.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:36:58 am »

I like this idea. A lot. I think I might end up as a bone-carver or woodworker or something along those lines.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:53 am »

Shade me intrigued.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:06:59 pm »

I'm in, love these kinda games. I'd like to be a comic relief big dumb strong warrior guy, if that doesn't mess with your game much. Could I also have the really subtle power of "If I think it is, it is." I'm the idiot, so it'd be hilarious. Also, I don't want to ruin it, so no game breaking for me. Have it work 1/10th of the time, and keep it secret. Good and bad can happen, if he believes it'd happen
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:15 am »

Ooh, I am most certainly interested. Especially with the non-obvious nature of the crunch, which I can very much dig.

Speaking of digging, why is stone not abundant? It's not like it's terribly hard to find.

Also, is Latvia where the story takes place, or is that a throwaway joke/figure of speech/mistype?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:02:45 am by Harry Baldman »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 03:13:14 pm »

Ooh, I am most certainly interested. Especially with the non-obvious nature of the crunch, which I can very much dig.

Speaking of digging, why is stone not abundant? It's not like it's terribly hard to find.

Also, is Latvia where the story takes place, or is that a throwaway joke/figure of speech/mistype?
Latvia is a fairly desolate country, there's running jokes online about how it's poverty, and potatoes are valuable.  The setting of the game is "somewhere else" you know one of those worlds that isn't Earth.  Which is why stone is also not abundant.  It's not terribly hard to find, on earth, but we're not really on earth.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 03:22:29 pm »

Latvia is a fairly desolate country, there's running jokes online about how it's poverty, and potatoes are valuable.  The setting of the game is "somewhere else" you know one of those worlds that isn't Earth.  Which is why stone is also not abundant.  It's not terribly hard to find, on earth, but we're not really on earth.

Eh, Latvia's not that desolate, I'd say. Basically the USA in terms of quality of life, but with the guns replaced by pensioners in relevant contexts, mostly. Belarus is probably better fodder for those sorts of joke. But I digress!

So, from what I gather, there's two alternatives here:
  • Digging downward produces monsters.
  • Digging downward produces soil/water/empty void.
Yes/no?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:28:32 pm by Harry Baldman »

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

I am also interested in this game. A fisherman or farmer, assuming you accept this many players.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 04:58:00 pm »

Eh, Latvia's not that desolate, I'd say. Basically the USA in terms of quality of life, but with the guns replaced by pensioners in relevant contexts, mostly. Belarus is probably better fodder for those sorts of joke. But I digress!

So, from what I gather, there's two alternatives here:
  • Digging downward produces monsters.
  • Digging downward produces soil/water/empty void.
Yes/no?
Roll up a miner, start digging, and find out!  I'm not revealing more about the world than what's been told already, because the characters don't know any more about the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 06:25:44 pm »

Roll up a miner, start digging, and find out!  I'm not revealing more about the world than what's been told already, because the characters don't know any more about the world.

I see. On that note:

What trees grow in the forest?

How large is the city, in terms of geographical territory?

Does anything have a proper name?

These seem like things a person would know if they've talked to anyone at all around the area in their lives, after all.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 06:59:17 pm »

I see. On that note:

What trees grow in the forest?

How large is the city, in terms of geographical territory?

Does anything have a proper name?

These seem like things a person would know if they've talked to anyone at all around the area in their lives, after all.
The trees are primarily birch, pine, and oak, with a spattering of things like apple, pear, fig, and whatnot fruit trees.  It's a fairly 'near tropical' climate.
The city is based off an old bronze/iron age hill fort, you can do your own google there.
People have names.  Otherwise there's not much reason to have a name.  There's no other city to differentiate between, and there's only one river.  It's just "the river" until something else shows up and they need to describe differences.