Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More tokens for ranged weapons.  (Read 1589 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More tokens for ranged weapons.
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:54:17 am »

Toady One recently worked on some ranged weapon issues and since he is doing fixes now, and removed a firing speed bug recently, it might be a good time to give ranged weapons more flexibility.

EDIT: I Edited the post to make it more readable and included some suggestions.

As a minimum, this token would be useful for ranged weapons:
* RELOAD_DELAY:int - how long it takes to reload after firing.
It would be even better if this delay could be specified both in actions and in ticks and completed only once both conditions were satisfied. So RELOAD_DELAY:10:60 would finish after 10 actions or 60 ticks, whichever comes later. That way slow dwarves would reload slowly and there would be a cap on how fast you can reload even with SPEED:0. 

I'd also like these tokens:

For Ammo:
* CARRY_AMMO:int - Dwarves would prefer to carry this much ammo in Quivers rather than the default 25. With a big suprlus they would almost never run out, but the limiting factor here is wight and maximum quiver capacity. I'm not sure if this sgould be ammo or weapon property.
* PROJECTILE_SURVIVES:int(1-100%), because it could be set to 0 to get rid of that pesky unstacked ammo. But that token should be added to ammo, not weapons.

For weapons:
* INTERNAL_CLIP - how much ammo the weapon can store internally. 1 for anything in DF maybe everything except a repeating crossbow, but would be useful for assault rifles in mods.
* CLIP_RELOAD - how long it takes to load that internal clip from Quiver.
* PROJECTILE_MULTIPLIER:int - fire this many projectiles rather than 1. Only consume 1 ammo, but divide kinetic energy among the projectiles. (For modding in shotguns)

Most of those tokens would be mostly of use to modders, especially to mod in modern firearms.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:46:25 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: More tokens for ranged weapons.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »

CARRY_AMMO - Dwarves would prefer to carry this much ammo in Quivers rather than the default 25. With a big suprlus they would almost never run out, but the limiting factor here is wight and maximum quiver capacity.
I think the max is supposed to be 25 (stack related bugs aside.) Going by size, only 8 bolts/arrows should actually fit. (60 for blowdarts, however.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »

Actual quivers only hold like maybe 10 arrows. So 25 is already huge overkill.

However, in real life you can also go grab most of your arrows and generally they will be in decent enough shape to reuse. While in DF you get a very paltry number of reusable bolts.

I mean, more RAW variables never hurt, go ahead and add all of those, but I think it'd be more important to have a "projectile_survives" number if you want realism (and sounds fun too! And strategy since you have more shots plus less carry weight at once, but only for hunters, not parapet shooters, etc.) than a huge carry amount.

Also RELOAD_DELAY and CLIP_RELOAD are entirely redundant. CLIP_RELOAD is more useful, so ditch RELOAD_DELAY.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:39:13 am »

I like PROJECTILE_SURVIVES, because it could be set to 0 to get rid of that pesky unstacked ammo. But that token should be added to ammo, not weapons.

> Also RELOAD_DELAY and CLIP_RELOAD are entirely redundant. CLIP_RELOAD is more useful, so ditch RELOAD_DELAY.
In a bow or crossbow the "internal clip" is 0 or 1, so yes, one of those tokens would be set to 0.
I was thinking more about modding WW1 era rifles. You get a magazine of say 5 bullets, that takes some time (10+ seconds) to replace. Then after each shot you have to operate a lever which is faster. Basically with both of these tokens we could have burst - reload - burst - reload cycles. To get burst with a modern rifle, the time to aim and shoot and then reload 1 bullet from internal magazine needs to be much faster than the time to replace the magazine.

Actually the time to aim and shoot should probably just be a standard attack, so ditch FIRE_DALAY instead.
A rifle would have:
[PROJECTILE_SURVIVES:0] On bullets
[FIRE_DALAY:0] Or forget this token.
[RELOAD_DELAY:1:3]  Or maybe even 0:0 for fully automatic rifles - there is some attack delay anyway.
[CLIP_RELOAD:10:60] This one actually takes some time
[INTERNAL_CLIP:25] Or 18 or 5 or whatever. 5-10 would be a good value for a repeating crossbow
[CARRY_AMMO:200]   With shooting this fast, it will be needed.

> Actual quivers only hold like maybe 10 arrows. So 25 is already huge overkill.
In that case I think it should be increased and we should be able to assign quivers in the uniform menu, so I can use like 5+ quivers for increased ammo capacity.

Some way to fire several projectiles at once that share the shoot force would be necessary to emulate shotguns, but I'm unsure about actual tokens. PROJECTILE_MULTIPLIER on the weapon, maybe? 

Oh and in case anyone wonders, those rifles are for mods, not vanilla.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:17:48 am »

I was thinking more about modding WW1 era rifles. You get a magazine of say 5 bullets, that takes some time (10+ seconds) to replace. Then after each shot you have to operate a lever which is faster. Basically with both of these tokens we could have burst - reload - burst - reload cycles. To get burst with a modern rifle, the time to aim and shoot and then reload 1 bullet from internal magazine needs to be much faster than the time to replace the magazine.

I thought FIRE_DELAY was supposed to be the delay within a clip. Yes you could ditch that too. Also works. One of those 3 is unneeded though.

5 quivers is ridiculous for a bow. Although having the raw value there for modding purposes for clips or whatever would still be useful. As would 30 rounds or whatever. But he shouldn't be adding dozens of arrows to default vanilla. You'd barely be able to walk around without stabbing yourself or something, and the fumbling would be intense.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:19:20 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:39:50 pm »

I just had another idea. MAXIMUM_RANGE:int Not real maximum range (projectiles son't disappear or anything), but weapon won't be fired if enemy is farther than that, regardless of skill.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 05:33:55 pm »

I'd settle for ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER applying to ranged attacks, personally.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »

I would really like it if we could have weapons that are their own ammo i.e. a javelin.

I can mimic throwing weapons by assigning throwing skill to a ranged weapon and using ammo with the same size and attacks as the melee versions, obviously we get the projectile loss problems like mentioned above but at least with the current ability to have multiple types of ammo in the same class (i.e. bolts etc.) we don't need a 'launcher' for each type of thrown weapon. If we can cut out that last step of converting say a WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE into a custom ammo analog then perhaps we can have dwarven huscarls that toss a few axes at the enemy before charging into their broken formations  :D.