Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sixth Age of Myth  (Read 3886 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Sixth Age of Myth
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:36 pm »

According to the wiki "Some megabeasts (namely dragons and rocs) can reproduce during world generation, but such an event is fantastically unlikely" - however, on the latest world I generated (1050 years) the age of myth came again six times (and, indeed, ended world gen on it). Such a thing could only occur, I presume, with megabeast breeding - there is at least one dragon I know who did so, and there may (indeed must) be more.* Has anyone else noticed an increase in megabeast breeding? Is the wiki no longer accurate?

*I'm at work and cannot check at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:11:41 pm by Cespinarve »
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

RadonPlasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sixth Age of Myth
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:38 am »

According to the wiki, the various 'mythical creature' ages are determined by the population of things tagged as megabeast, semimegabeast, - or 'power'. 'Powers' can include forgotten beasts, and unless I miss my mark, FB's aren't counted until they are unleashed upon the surface - or into the halls of a hapless Dwarven settlement, as the case may be. You may want to look into how many fortresses have fallen to forgotten beast attacks in the world you described.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:33 pm »

The ages also trigger on %'s remember, not hard numbers.

The Age of Myth is a time where....iirc like 80% of creatures were magical.  On the whole this % falls over history since civilizations expand, but if the magic beasties thrive and the civs suffer losses then its going to climb.

I've seen the Ages pendulum or seesaw a bit like this on some extreme worlds where the civs are having a real hard time hanging on, they are dying faster than the exotic stuff.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:05:16 am »

Someone should try digging into hell with a straight path toward the surface, with plenty of furniture to lead them there.

Then we'll see what the goblins can do about it.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »

I once had a world continuously ping-pong from the Age of Myth to the Age of Legends, finally resting on the 5th Age of Myth. I imagine the peoples of the world saying, "Okay, we've slain a lot of mythical beasts, they're gone," and then Titans, Megabeasts, and FB's coming up and saying "Nope." In fact, each age of legends was like 5 years long at most and seemed to end around Titan and FB attacks.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:10:13 am »

I recall in 40.13 I got Goblin Age, when goblins ruled the world.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!