Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXVI: Melancholy (12/1)  (Read 43315 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XVII: Gearing Up (12/23)
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2015, 04:28:19 pm »

@Defavlt Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

----

In terms of burrows, I use them for everything, and uh have learned a fair deal about them.

The fortress has always had a home burrow since the dwarves made it underground.

I don't assign the dwarves to it individually for a few different reasons, mostly sort of bugs I suppose (?):
  • Dwarves that die assigned to a burrow aren't removed from the burrow assignment which throws the #s off
  • There's a lot of job cancellation spam that happens when dwarves are assigned to burrows. It seems like if a dwarf can't get from point a -> b (say a locked door is in the way) they just silently ignore the job. But if that job is outside of their burrow they cancel it loudly and before checking for the path or something. So anytime I have dwarves in a burrow they job cancel spam a lot.
  • It's just a pain to get them to work in new areas or mine if you have to keep expanding out the burrow. Then if you do the home burrow loses it's defensive properties and it's hard to react to disasters

So what I do instead with Home is just use civ alerts to put dwarves in it. If the doors are unlocked to lure in undead I throw the Home civ alert on.

I also have a few other burrows that I added later, one for the entrance ramp area that the undead wander down, one for the unprotected cavern 1 layers so dwarves could go harvest there, and one for the aquifer breach structure for dwarves to work there safely. The same applies here where I'll add multiple burrows to the civ alert to define the working zones.

Now the dwarves on the surface (the starting seasons and all migrants) are a completely different story. As much as I can and need to I manipulate where they go and stand using burrows and defining meeting zones. I use that to hurry dwarves off to this or that point of the map to keep them safe. It's worth noting that dwarves are a bit... fussy... about travelling around to burrows. Sometimes they'll make a point of idling in the proper places, but other times dwarves won't move into burrows, they'll only look for work in their defined burrows and only move around if there's something for them to do in the new burrow or new burrow bounds. It's possible it has something to do with being assigned to a burrow vs a Civ Alert for that burrow. As you may guess the whole process isn't perfect, but it does help a bit to usher dwarves around.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XVII: Gearing Up (12/23)
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

Part 18 is up!
http://imgur.com/a/eWDgH

From now on updates will be every other week rather than weekly, it's a much more sustainable pace for me. I'll still shoot for Tuesdays, though obviously today is not Tuesday. I just wanted to get the update out rather than hold on to it over the weekend.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:28:00 pm by Slogo »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XVIII: Exponential (1/22)
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2015, 03:58:39 pm »

It's back! Glorious!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2015, 07:54:38 pm »

Save Bomrek. You need every dwarf you can get

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2015, 08:36:18 pm »

Let Bomrek die. He has failed his mountain home, and nearly led it to slaughter.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2015, 10:24:46 pm »

He redeemed himself and should be allowed back into the fortress, albeit with an eye on him.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:39 pm »

Look, we all make mistakes. I dropped a porcelain plate while cleaning the dishes. You ate the pizza slice I kept for my lunch tomorrow. Bomrek opened a gateway to hell and unleashed a horde of abominations upon the world. Those things happen, man.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:32:52 pm by Taupe »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »

Ohh, another update ....

Yay, I guess?

Every flipping to a new image is just the most nerve wracking experience - just the worst. This whole fort's been teetering on the edge of a knife since it's inception, and from playing DF I know one tiny errant twitch on the keyboard will murder everyone before you can even register what's happening.

Assuming you've never save scummed, well played, the whole thing overall. Letting the undead and the demons duke it out was particularly smart. Probably hasn't helped the FPS death situation though. How is your framerate with all this going on? Has it been better or worse with the second cavern purging?   

Also #FreeBomrek
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:00:29 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »

It was getting pretty grim even before the demons were unsealed, I haven't been running with the FPS on so I don't know exactly. The demons being unreleased dropped it a bit more, but have no fear.

The moment Bomrek broke through the caverns it seems I gained about a good chunk of FPS back. The fighting seems to be less of a drain than having the undead and demons trying to path around over long distances or whatever they were doing before.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2015, 01:38:24 pm »

Bomrek discovered adamantine and found an ingenious way to handle the undead problem. #freebomrek

Great series.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:40:51 pm by taptap »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2015, 04:28:18 pm »

Heheheh.

Ballsects

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:06 am »

*reads entire series in a weekend*

*ends on a cliffhanger*

:o

Excellent writing, though. And it's amazing all the crazy stuff the fortress has managed to survive. :)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2015, 06:04:01 pm »

Having finally gotten around to reading the latest, holy shit. I say free Bomrek, his failure to report the Adamantine find was only caused by ineptitude, not evil, and he did save the fort.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XIX: Inner Demons (2/3)
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2015, 04:00:02 pm »

Part 19 is here! http://imgur.com/a/NFX1N

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XIX: Inner Demons (2/3)
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »

Heck yeah!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16