Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXVI: Melancholy (12/1)  (Read 43273 times)

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 03:31:34 pm »

"I have an army of my own."

Great stuff.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

Heh. Hehehehe.  8)

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2014, 07:03:36 pm »

"I have an army of my own."
Yeah. I just...sorta blinked at that? Can he even use those undead? I mean, they're not attacking each other in the wild...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:22 pm »

They can be pretty useful if you have a nasty FB you need to get rid of.

Or a goblin siege.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:10 am »

Yep, as long as you keep them away from your dwarves and have a !!Magma Solution!! on hand in case of issues, this should work great.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:23 am »

Pretty much the most epic fortress history ever. Fun read. (It makes most challenges look like easy mode in comparison.)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2014, 09:53:34 am »

Today's update it's a bit of a break/intermission for me and consists of some artwork & some extra detail on Tuftedstockades and the dwarves living there. Unfortunately it'll be a little late and won't be ready until late today (Tuesday) or Wednesday. In the meantime here's a small piece I did of the rising of the zombie Wordsank The Mournful Trust:

Have no fear! Next week we will be back to our regularly scheduled program.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2014, 01:41:32 am »

Kind of disappointed that there is no update, but at the same time looking forward to the art!
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »

Right?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »

Right?!

http://imgur.com/a/hfXf9#0

Sorry for the day delay and uh not advancing the story this week. I had a busy week and needed a small break, but still really wanted to produce something, so I thought It would be a good time to get more familiar with the fortress and the dwarves.

I expect Tuesday updates straight from now until the Holiday season at which point I may miss a week or two. I think that'd put the series up to #18 or so before the next break. Well that is assuming the fortress doesn't crumble.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:21:21 pm by Slogo »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2014, 04:54:22 pm »

Well that is assuming the fortress doesn't crumble.
Don't jinx them! :-\

Haplo_Patryn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »

My first post to thank you for this worderful AAR.

I have a DF blog and I would like to translate and use your AAR to explain some things about the game (screenshots included) if you don't mind.

http://fortalezaenana.wordpress.com/

If you give me your permission, all the credit for you of course (I'll link my posts with this thread, for sure).

Also I'm interested about some of your screenshots. I would like to know what program did you use to take this screenshot:

http://imgur.com/a/hfXf9#1

Or you take some layer shots and use and edit program to get that?

Thanks and congratulations for your AAR.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:05:27 pm by Haplo_Patryn »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »

Feel free to use my screenshots and AAR to teach people. I don't mind at all! If it helps some people learn the game that's fantastic.

It's and edited through manipulating screenshots, but the workflow is pretty simple. You'll need to read up on various art programs to follow along if you have no experience with photoshop or gimp, but it's nothing too advanced.
  • Take your screen shots of the area(s) you want to showcase. You can use the in game map export feature if you're trying to capture a large area.
  • Bring in the images into an image editing program (I use GIMP, but anything with support for layers will do) and crop out the area you want + remove all of the background (the unrevealed tiles)
  • Rotate the layer -45 degrees. You can also use 45, 135, or -135 depending on the orientation you want.
  • Scale the layer. Keep the X axis (width) at 100% and scale the Y Axis (height) at 50%. Set Interpolation to None to prevent your program from trying to blur or smooth the scaling. Feel free to play around with other interpolation methods and see if you prefer them).
  • The above two steps produces an isometric view of the specific layer. At this point it'll look like my screen shot. All you need to do then is arrange the image(s) how you want them.
  • In my case I selected the visible part of the image (using the wand selection tool, but your approach may vary based on the program you are using) and gave them a border so they stood out.
  • Then I took each image (each image being one z-level) and brought it into Inkscape so I could easily add the labels and lines.
  • The tricky part is lining up each layer. If you draw a vertical line on top of everything and use that to line up the tiles it helps a lot. You can see with my stairs indicators that tiles above/below each other vertically stay that way in this perspective.

I hope that helps shine some light on my process! I don't really have time at the moment to do a detailed step by step tutorial, but that may not be a bad idea. All-in-all getting the images into an isometric view isn't that time consuming, but trying to arrange the various layers and what not can take some time depending on how much area you are dealing with and how detailed you want it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:29:08 pm by Slogo »

Haplo_Patryn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2014, 05:36:55 pm »

Thanks for the info :)

BTW, what graphics set mod are you using?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:50:27 pm by Haplo_Patryn »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2014, 07:50:46 pm »

I'm on 40.10 and have the Spacefox tileset for that version. I believe the tileset has changed a bit since then.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16