Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing Part XXVI: Melancholy (12/1)  (Read 42980 times)

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
Re: TuftedStockades - An Embark With Nothing
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

Much carnage.

That siege did not last long.

Good job with this fortress, I'm actually learning stuff and all from your exploits.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 04:14:17 pm »

So how many zombies are there now on the surface? How many goblins rose again after their ill-conceived siege? Gotta be a lot now.

Can you destroy zombies with crossbow bolts?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »

Will you be using atom smashers? I hope not, as I see that as cheating and it certainly wouldn't fit this place.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 11:00:57 pm »

Undead can technically be defeated by bolts. I've tested bolts vs zombie creatures in the arena (GM xbowmen, GM fighters with iron bolts) and it's a lot of bolts, especially for larger zombie creatures. Legendary xbowmen may fare better though.

Atom-smashing is certainly not in the cards as a defense strategy.
There are two cases where things might be atom smashed:
1. If I can't avoid FPS death without it (and then only as an extreme last resort over dumping into the magma sea). I'd absolutely hate to do this, but losing a fort to clutter related FPS death would be worse. Fortunately, I have a good machine for DF so it shouldn't come to this.
2. If I deploy my cave in protection for the lower part of the fortress and it happens to catch a creature under it or something. That's not what the trap is for (it's just to seal off access), but you can never count on how fast dwarves will pull a lever.

If it wasn't clear in the story, and I've had people mention confusion over this elsewhere, the two bridges I built at the lower entrance are the same sized raised as lowered. They're simply there because I wanted to block anything from standing in those tiles without building something that would support the cave-in plug above (I could have & should have used fortifications).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:05:32 pm by Slogo »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2014, 03:26:06 am »

My god, the Sarvesh spam... Can't you just, like, put him out of his misery?

On a side note, I do believe the !!MAGMA Solution!! is best for extermination of many zombies.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 01:04:36 am »

Looking forward to the next instalment of this epic saga!
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:46 pm »

Started reading yesterday. I'm on 55/60 of Part 7 currently. :D

I just wanted to thank you for putting this story out there. I'm greatly enjoying reading about your struggles, though it just reinforces my resolve not to embark in a "purple" area. *shivers* :-\

Also, I am (sorta) stealing your "loft" idea. I will make it a three tier system, but there will actually be six rooms attached to each staircase. Hopefully that doesn't cause traffic issues...

x

x is stairs; * would be the 3x3 rooms. I always use diagonal entrances for my bedrooms.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 12:07:50 pm »

Part 9 is up! http://imgur.com/a/u79nh

Also, let me know how those bedrooms turn out! It's an interesting design, this is the first time I've used it and I'm not entirely sure how it'll play into pathfinding.

Murdersquish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 02:04:35 pm »

Excellent! Thanks for entertaining us! :)

I don't know if others find it difficult to follow the layout of your fortress as badly as I do... oy! Would you be willing to post it to the DF map archive (http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php) each time you release an episode?

Cheers!

Edit: Of course, as soon as I post this, I get to the part where you explain what you are doing!  *doh*
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:10:33 pm by Murdersquish »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »

Excellent! Thanks for entertaining us! :)

I don't know if others find it difficult to follow the layout of your fortress as badly as I do... oy! Would you be willing to post it to the DF map archive (http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php) each time you release an episode?

Cheers!

Edit: Of course, as soon as I post this, I get to the part where you explain what you are doing!  *doh*

Yes. yes I would be willing to do that. I tried to make the fortress design flatter than normal, but I just couldn't resist my typical design tendencies so it's still a bit vertically oriented. Either way I don't know why uploading it to dfma didn't occur to me before!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:09:38 pm by Slogo »

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 04:30:11 pm »

TuftedStockades now has it's weapon.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »

Murdersquish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:46 pm »

Great, Slogo! Nice little addition with the points of interest :)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:06 am »

Out of curiosity, what are you using to record your gif clips?  Or are you assembling them manually?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 11:23:52 am »

I use gifcam: http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

For the most part it's great, except it's a little tricky to get it to be a standard resolution size (like 1280x768) so all my screenshots are like 1275x750 or something weird like that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16